Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Damn, on the video from the Verge, the screen time to wake up from pressing the right hand button seems on par with the S3's wake up time.

When I press the wake up button, I can be waiting around a second to two seconds for the screen to actually switch on to unlock.

I hardly notice it now, but the lag is certainly there. It still seems readily apparent on the new model too.

More than likely, by the time I come to renew my phone in another year 1/2 or so, I'll be getting the S5, not the S4.

Got to admit though, all the smart stay features, etc on the S3 are switched off. I didn't even bother trying them.
    So, I wouldn't use any of the new features either, but the extra speed/camera/screen resolution is a welcome addition, whilst still being thinner than the S3, if only slightly wider.
    To be honest, I think your best bet is to wait and see what the next Nexus phone will look like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    To be honest, I think your best bet is to wait and see what the next Nexus phone will look like.
    Maybe. One reason I went for the S3 was due to the included sound chip on the European models being a Wolfson DAC (The same as the Galaxy S I had prior. The S2 had a Yamaha chip)
    Sound is great from it.

No other phone other than an Apple iPhone is as good sound wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Maybe. One reason I went for the S3 was due to the included sound chip on the European models being a Wolfson DAC (The same as the Galaxy S I had prior. The S2 had a Yamaha chip)
    Sound is great from it.

Meh, fair doos. Though if you're that much of an audiophile, I don't know why you wouldn't already have your own custom audio solution for music outside of your smartphone use.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, fair doos. Though if you're that much of an audiophile, I don't know why you wouldn't already have your own custom audio solution for music outside of your smartphone use.
    The Wolfson DAC, with a portable amp, and good headphones is quite a damn good collective.

I'm still thinking of using the USB bypass though and getting a DAC + Amp combo, but maybe not just yet.

I'm very happy with the sound that comes out already if I'm honest, and I typically use FLAC/module files, and Spotify, which the Android phones of course can all do with apps.

No dedicated audio player can use Spotify in the same way, nor play module files (Amiga, Megadrive/Genesis, Snes, etc, etc) and even though it may not be an audiophile solution, all music is streamed/downloaded at 320kbps so its as good as to my ears.

Either way, I think the S4 will sell well. It has a good improvement in specs, but whether the extra processor speed will be all that noticeable.
    The extra camera power, and screen resolution will be though.

Would you really need to film using both the front and back cameras though?

One feature I would like is the ability to play music whilst having the camera functioning. Something the S3 fails to do. i.e basic dash cam.

EDIT:

The fact the HTC One doesn't include a removeable battery, nor a Micro SD card slot makes that phone void for me, however good it looks (and it does look good)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what you really mean by "forked version", but no. They've found a golden formula that works and it involves doing substantially less work than Google when it comes to software. They're selling phones by the boatload and all without giving a single credit to Google - it's genius.

Of course it's not as if Google doesn't benefit at all, they still have customers buying into Google services after all, but its the lasting impression on the public that matters. When they see this phone, do they recognise it as a piece of hardware running Google's operating system? Or do they recognise this as "the Samsung phone that does everything isn't an iPhone". The truth is that these things (public perception) matter in the long run.

As of now Samsung has found an ingenious way of selling phones like hotcakes all whilst having to do little more than lightly skin Android with their own fudgy interface and develop a few gimmicky features onto their existing hardware. I have no doubt that this will be a great, practical, high-end phone capable of doing anything else at the top of the Android spectrum. But does this deserve to be billed as top-dog? Not really, not by a long shot.
    This negativity seems out of proportion... any company will want to market their products as best as possible. Samsung has done it remarkably well, as Apple have done in the past (though perhaps not quite as well as Apple). This doesn't bother me because Samsung's phones are still among the best on the market. Custom roms are there for people who want a different interface. Materials is a matter of opinion - durability of the plastic has never been an issue for me, and I prefer a phone to have less of a presence in my pocket.

For me this wouldn't be enough of an improvement to upgrade from an S3. New phones are going to come out though, regardless of whether there's groundbreaking new tech, that's just how the market works. Is expecting an awe-inducing upgrade each year reasonable? I wasn't expecting anything more this time other than better specs and several useful features that'll make life easier. Some of the gimmicks seem useless, some of them seem useful. What specifics did you want that haven't been delivered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scherzi)
    This negativity seems out of proportion... any company will want to market their products as best as possible. Samsung has done it remarkably well, as Apple have done in the past (though perhaps not quite as well as Apple). This doesn't bother me because Samsung's phones are still among the best on the market. Custom roms are there for people who want a different interface. Materials is a matter of opinion - durability of the plastic has never been an issue for me, and I prefer a phone to have less of a presence in my pocket.
    1. Marketing and producing great phones are two separate things. Being great at the former isn't a huge achievement.
    2. Custom ROMS are not a replacement for manufacturer optimised firmware. And in any case, I shouldn't have to void my warranty/risk bricking a phone just to get a workable phone minus the skin. A custom ROM will also not give me access to the new features like the IR blaster etc.
    3. Build quality/design is important and almost every manufacturer has woken up to that this year. I think 2013 is the year that design really becomes an important part of consumer buying power as people start to look for good value. Arguably one of the reasons Apple devices receive so much acclaim is because they quite frankly put every other manufacturer to quality when it comes to build quality, design and premium materials.

For me this wouldn't be enough of an improvement to upgrade from an S3. New phones are going to come out though, regardless of whether there's groundbreaking new tech, that's just how the market works. Is expecting an awe-inducing upgrade each year reasonable? I wasn't expecting anything more this time other than better specs and several useful features that'll make life easier. Some of the gimmicks seem useless, some of them seem useful. What specifics did you want that haven't been delivered?
    Agreed, a ground breaking new phone isn't possible every year so Samsung shouldn't pretend that it is. Realistically speaking, phones are barely capable of even utilising all four cores let alone an octa-core processor. You might blame me for hyping the phone, but then did you see the product launch? If anybody was aggrandising the release, believe me Samsung needed no help. They literally wheeled in a song and dance number for it. Yes, that's right. Tap dancing.

Realistically today was all about software and aside from a few gimmicky features that could have been pushed out via an over-the-air software update, nothing new was released. Let's be honest here, as per the functions carried out by the operating system, it's Google who is leading the way with manufacturers like Samsung doing little more than making a pretty lock screen. If Samsung stuck to making hardware as good as it could with as premium a finish as possible I'd have been delighted. I don't need the wheel to be reinvented every year; just a reasonable response to consumer trends/demand. And in some key areas, Samsung has chosen not to listen. I have no choice but to reflect that.

I have no doubt that for some, this is the perfect phone and undoubtedly, you will defend it to the end. I am also in no doubt that this is objectively, a high end phone. It carries out all the functions of a high end phone and it does them very well. But I have to speak relative to its competition and I'm just seeing far better things being done elsewhere in order to ignore Samsung's formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)

The fact the HTC One doesn't include a removeable battery, nor a Micro SD card slot makes that phone void for me, however good it looks (and it does look good)
    Fair enough. For some people, expandable storage/removable battery is a must and I can understand that. These features have long been viewed as secondary to build quality for a long time though which is why so many manufacturers are moving away from the flimsy shell that allows for such accessibility. It's just part and parcel of good design that when making a unibody construction, it's near impossible to still allow access to the battery in the same way. This is just a truth that has come to be accepted amongst LG, Apple, HTC and Nokia who have ditched flimsy plastic shells in order to provide tougher, more premium feeling handsets.

ReputationRep:
    Is the S3 going to drop in price anytime soon as a result of this? I can't justify the expected cost of an S4 and I don't do contracts. Even the second hand S3s at £275 look ridiculously expensive to me.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kage)
    Sound is great from it.

On the subject of audio, Samsung are also going to be producing a pair of twin driver IEMs as one of the accessories. Would be interesting to see what they're like :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Kinda disappointed with the phone. I will probably still get it, but only cause I can upgrade from April onwards anyway.

Sent from my HTC Desire

ReputationRep:
    Not impressed with it at all. I can see Samsung selling loads though. If only HTC had a decent marketing team. I've got the One X at the minute and it's a great phone. The One looks even better and is probably slightly above the S4 based on hardware alone. Software, depends if you prefer Sense or Touchwizz. In regards to removable battery or expandable memory, I never remove my battery anyway and 32GB is more than enough for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yawn, just another S3 with an upgraded processor & screen.

Full of gimmicks too.

And plasticky.

Why can't they build more premium shells and simply better looking devices in general? But that would make too much sense.

ReputationRep:
    I really like it! Might have to switch from my iPhone 4, but I'll wait for a couple of months after it's released

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Yawn, just another S3 with an upgraded processor & screen.

Full of gimmicks too.

And plasticky.

Why can't they build more premium shells and simply better looking devices in general? But that would make too much sense.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 S3S

ReputationRep:
    It's just part and parcel of good design that when making a unibody construction, it's near impossible to still allow access to the battery in the same way.
    Tell that to my Desire S. Unibody design, removable battery and SD Card.

Honestly though, the removable battery and SD thing mean nowt to me. I thought they'd be deal breakers, but when I think about it, I haven't* removed my battery or needed to upgrade my gargantuan 8GB SD card since I got this phone.

*Aside from when messing around with some more... unstable... custom ROMs / features.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to skip and get the S5

ReputationRep:
    Such a half-assed upgrade. I love my S3, but most of the features on the S4 will filter down to my S3 anyway and there's little hardware wise that makes me want to upgrade. I was gonna take an early upgrade on my contract to get one of the latest Android devices (Xperia Z, HTC One or S4) but the Xperia Z is the only one I'm still interested in and the battery life on it is meant to be terrible so that's a no too.

Will probably just wait now for the next round of flagship models to upgrade.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. For some people, expandable storage/removable battery is a must and I can understand that. These features have long been viewed as secondary to build quality for a long time though which is why so many manufacturers are moving away from the flimsy shell that allows for such accessibility. It's just part and parcel of good design that when making a unibody construction, it's near impossible to still allow access to the battery in the same way. This is just a truth that has come to be accepted amongst LG, Apple, HTC and Nokia who have ditched flimsy plastic shells in order to provide tougher, more premium feeling handsets.
    The removable battery is less of an issue, but I still at times just switch a battery over on my S3, so I can charge one whilst having one available for long days.

The Micro SD card could always be implemented another way though. i.e a slot mechanism on the side. Not including it, but including an array of onboard memory solutions just seems like a way of getting more money by forcing people to pick a larger capacity phone, with outweighed pricing on the memory front when a Micro SD card is cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    ffs consumerism,
    why do they release new phones every single year..a two year gap would do, I can't catch up with this technology.

I'm still on my iphone 4 not the S and it's still going!

ReputationRep:
    doesnt seem a huge difference to the s3

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.