Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    I can certainly understand this and I suppose what consumers have difficulty with is this phone having been given a new identity. It's actually something that Apple have recognised after having found the yearly update to their iPads problematic. After a certain point it just didn't make sense for them to put a number after the iPad and call it "the latest and greatest, completely re-engineered Apple iPad 4". They just called it "the new iPad" because all they were doing was meeting the curve of improvements and growth in the technology market and putting it within the exact same design as the previous year. This is what he S4 is. It's a slightly faster, slightly lighter phone with a slightly bigger battery and a slightly better camera. This is, as almost every tech site has said, the Samsung equivalent of Apple's tick-tock release cycle and many customers feel at least a little bit of ire when releases are expressed this way. For all the difference it makes, this might as well have been a spec bump re-release of the S3 with a new software update rolled out for existing customers.
    Yes, I see what your implying. The fact is, not only the s4 but also the HTC one and Xperia Z (the two other worthy contenders) are "slightly faster, slightly lighter phone(s) with a slightly bigger battery and a slightly better camera" compared to their predecessors, but in a new chassis. The new look is what is expected of most OEMs when they unveil their new flagships, and this is why I think that you say "a spec bump re-release of the S3 with a new software update rolled out for existing customers" would be a suitable alternative to the S4.

The S4 is a worthy successor to the S3 when one looks at its specs and software which are neck to neck (or better) when compared to the world's best, however the simple fact that it has almost the same shell as its predecessor, makes it look not much of an update. I can understand this, as most consumers looking to buy the new S4 will be disappointed as many would not be able to differentiate it from the S3.

This is the first time, in the Galaxy S series that a successor shares a very similar chassis to its predecessor, but given the galaxy S3 sales, samsung might have wanted to play 'safe' using the same, tried and tested build. Im not supporting this, as I, like many others would have liked to see a new design, that has come to be expected of the Galaxy S series, but there is no denying that the S4 is a solid upgrade from the S3 in terms of performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F257)
    I'll be intrested in seeing how the big.LITTLE architecture will play out on the S4, and whether there will be any improvments in battery life because of it.
    I'm surprised that Samsung didn't even mention this new technology in their presentation. Given how this is the first time such technology is being used in a smartphone, I thought Samsung would be bragging all over it...:P

At least in theory, there should be a significant improvement in battery life, but the A15 cores supposedly drain A LOT of power, so maybe the A7 cores just stabilize the power consumption. Anyway, that is all prediction, will have to wait and see.

ReputationRep:
    Curious, does anyone know whether the human eye can distinguish between apple iphne retina display and the s4 display?

I remember reading somewhere that increasing the ppi makes very little diff, as the human cant detect over certain ppi range, or is this made up

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much sums it up: http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_4-review-907.php

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guide price in Italy.

So it will probably be ~£520 to ~£600 in the UK depending on how much it is reduced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relaxedexams)
    I'm surprised that Samsung didn't even mention this new technology in their presentation. Given how this is the first time such technology is being used in a smartphone, I thought Samsung would be bragging all over it...:P

At least in theory, there should be a significant improvement in battery life, but the A15 cores supposedly drain A LOT of power, so maybe the A7 cores just stabilize the power consumption. Anyway, that is all prediction, will have to wait and see.
    What was noticable about their annoucnment was that they seemed to rely more on their software additions rather than their hardware to stand out from the competition, such as S voice, S Translate, Smart stay etc. And yeah, I will be intrested in seeing what will uterlise the A15 cores to the full effect

(Original post by whyumadtho)
    Guide price in Italy.

So it will probably be ~£520 to ~£600 in the UK depending on how much it is reduced.
    I can't see that happening tbh. Samsung have traditionaly kept the series around the £500 mark and seem to make a point of it being cheaper than the Iphone. Admittly it may go up, but with the stiff competion from Sony and HTC , and the fact that the critics have seen it as a bit of anticlimax , i don;t think it's likely to wander too far off the beaten track
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whyumadtho)
    Guide price in Italy.

:yep: Mobiles.co.uk are offering it for £530 SIM-free at the moment, as well as various contract options (including no up-front cost for £31/month).

http://www.mobilephonesdirect.co.uk/...ck#pay-monthly

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever got a contract from mobiles.co.uk? I was thinking of getting a new phone from there if I don't get a good upgrade deal with Three. My phone seems ancient nowadays

Sent from my HTC Desire
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Derrick1509)
    Has anyone ever got a contract from mobiles.co.uk? I was thinking of getting a new phone from there if I don't get a good upgrade deal with Three. My phone seems ancient nowadays

Sent from my HTC Desire
    I haven't, but they're owned by The Carphone Warehouse, if that helps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weeknd5000)
    Curious, does anyone know whether the human eye can distinguish between apple iphne retina display and the s4 display?

I remember reading somewhere that increasing the ppi makes very little diff, as the human cant detect over certain ppi range, or is this made up
    Over a certain ppi level, (around 350) you can't distinguish individual pixels anymore. But increasing the ppi beyond that number does still increase the sharpness and the detail of the screen. It also makes text look better. I read a research in which they said that the max ppi value where you can still see the difference is 800.
    The HTC One has the most ppi at the moment, around 460. Then comes the S4 and the Xperia Z, and then the 'retina' screen of the iPhone...

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of upgrading from my iPhone 4 to either a HTC One or a Galaxy S4. I read that both phones can be restored/backed up from iPhone data.

What is everyone's opinion on these phones?

Also, has anyone changed from an iPhone to an Android handset, is it easy to get used to?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I also love the fact that they've finally included an IR emitter despite the fact that I don't even have a TV at home. But imagine all the fun one could have in malls and shops, changing the channels of TVs there. I hope they have cable and have some of the naughty channels if you know what I mean

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm sure Bluewater subscribes to the Playboychannel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukev)
    Yes, I'm sure Bluewater subscribes to the Playboychannel.
    Well, I've seen it done before, so surprisingly enough some of them do!

ReputationRep:
    My uncle got this phone whilst living in Singapore with work for a few months. back now, with this awesome phone - sooooooo jealous. IT IS AMAZING!!!! I can't compare it to the others, because I've never been in close proximity to one of them, but this one is AWESOME!!!!

ReputationRep:
    absolutelyyyyyyyyy great phone!

ReputationRep:

I didn't know it had an optical reader. That Share Screen function looks good, but if it is limited to other S4s it's quite pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rebekah:-))
    My uncle got this phone whilst living in Singapore with work for a few months. back now, with this awesome phone - sooooooo jealous. IT IS AMAZING!!!! I can't compare it to the others, because I've never been in close proximity to one of them, but this one is AWESOME!!!!
    Huh? Your uncle has this phone? Is he some high ranking samsung official? Or does he have an S3...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relaxedexams)

Did you see their 'presentation'?

Weird doesn't even begin to cover it. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know about the build quality?

My biggest concern with the S3 was the flimsy design (The back cover being a perfect example). Is this one more robust?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.