Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am currently registered for the Open Degree under transitional funding, having completed Y182 (15 credits) in June 2012.
    I remained undecided about which degree I wanted to go for...choices, choices.

    I have finally decided that I would like to go for a Languages based degree i.e. French and Spanish, starting with L192 and L194 in October 2013.

    In order to keep studying under transitional funding I need to complete a module in the current University year and the easiest way to do that is a small 10/15 credit course. But I cant seem to find a module that incorporates Languages.

    Can anyone recommend anything?

    Does anyone know if I decide I cant complete the degree by August 2017 can I carry on for the Open Degree and just pay for the final module or two at the higher rate?

    Many Thanks x
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    So far as I can see, all the language modules seem to start in either February or October, so I can't see anything specifically relevant you can do right now - but, like you say, to keep TA you'll have to do something this year, so I guess you'll just need to pick something that grabs your fancy. I make it that you have a choice of Contemporary Wales; Digital photography: creating and sharing better images; Elements of forensic science; Galaxies, stars and planets; Human genetics and health issues; Inside nuclear energy; Introduction to bookkeeping and accounting; Introduction to counselling; Introduction to financial services; Living without oil: chemistry for a sustainable future; Maths for science; Small country, big history: themes in the history of Wales; The frozen planet; The story of maths; Understanding human nutrition; Understanding the weather; or Volcanoes, earthquakes and tsunamis; or any of the Openings modules. Even if there isn't anything specifically relevant to your degree, I reckon you'll be able to find something interesting amongst that lot!

    I don't know that anyone's ever had a definitive answer about what would happen if someone didn't manage to finish by 2017. (I guess we probably won't know for certain until 2017...) I remember some discussion a while back on the OUSA forums about this, but I don't think it came to a definite conclusion.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.