Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do girls tend to go for guys that are 'wanted' by other girls? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My mother always used to say to me that 'girls don't want the guys that other girls don't want'.

I believe that girls tend to go for guys that have been with women before thus the approval from other women is the main factor in dating a guy.

This is also evident in the amount of times girls want the guys that are already in relationships...a good place to look is amount of threads on here about this subject.

Do you think this is true?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is true in the general sense. This is one reason why the first girlfriend is the hardest one to get (remember even stories of past girlfriends are proxies for "approval from other girls")

ReputationRep:
    Yes, this is a genuine truth.

If you have ever pulled on a night out you'll see lots of girls suddenly looking at you in a particular way. I've noticed it and actually laughed.

Same applied when i was out and about with a woman, they look at you longer than they should. When I am alone its not like that.

Sounds like some stupid pop psychology.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Your mother may have lied to you. I've never met you, but you may also not be the most handsomest boy in the world.

Pick up artists generally say that yes, girls after a guy make him more desirable. Boy band designers tend to agree:

Name:  south-park-jonas-brothers.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  37.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    Yes and no I think.
    My boyfriend had never had a girlfriend until me, and that actually makes me really happy - like I'm more special in a way, that I was good enough for him to choose me? If that makes sense.

But then if there's a guy who no one likes, it may be there's something bad about him that you don't know, or good about the guy all the other girls want.

But in my opinion no one wants a guy whose been around with all these other girls - it just makes you think do you compare to these other girls, and no one likes that I don't think

ReputationRep:
    Yes its ridiculous. Girls who seemingly won't give you a second glance seem quite happy to flirt and try it on once you tell them you have a girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    My mother always used to say to me that 'girls don't want the guys that other girls don't want'.

I believe that girls tend to go for guys that have been with women before thus the approval from other women is the main factor in dating a guy.

This is also evident in the amount of times girls want the guys that are already in relationships...a good place to look is amount of threads on here about this subject.

Not exactly.

It's more that, guys who have particular traits are more likely to be wanted.

It's not necessarily the fact that it's because others want a guy, but the TRAITS that he possess will be generally attractive

ReputationRep:

sure they all want the experienced guy ..it will also be less creepy

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard such a load of rubbish.

People who determine their OH based on approval from their "friends" aren't deserving of a companion.

It may be true among *****y 13 year olds, but when you're older, you would have thought most have matured.

ReputationRep:
    I did by accident and I doubt I would ever do it on purpose now. I got with someone not thinking anyone else was interested a month later he got a phone call from his ex saying she wanted him back which now happens pretty much everytime she drinks and the other week he got a text from the girl he had a rebound thing with saying she knows they agreed it was just sex but shes being thinking about him since and wants to try things. The second girl hasn't messaged him again since he said no and told her about me but I wish the ex would do the same.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I was once chatting up a cute girl, she was being polite but didn't seem really interested. A very fit girl friend of mine came over and said "oh, sorry, you're with someone", kissed me on the cheek and walked off. It was like a switch had turned in her head, suddenly she was into me.

It's natural for women to be attracted to social status.

ReputationRep:
    i tend to fancy boys whoa re already in relationships because i like the idea that they're happy to be in a serious monogamous relationship which is what i want not because other girls 'want' them. But mostly i don't go for the boy that all the girls think is hot , i'm hipster like that :P jk, besides i don't have time for all that 'who liked him first' *****iness

ReputationRep:
    I hate to say but its kinda true.

If i met a guy i liked and he hadnt had a girlfriend before that wouldnt bother me BUT if i have a male friend who i know fancies me, but he moves on from me and starts flirting with someone else who also flirts back?? i feel myself getting a little bit jealous as i must subconsciously know that he must be worth flirting with.

This doesnt happen with all guys but some, and if i know a guy already has a girlfriend i back off and leave him alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sausageez)
    i tend to fancy boys whoa re already in relationships because i like the idea that they're happy to be in a serious monogamous relationship which is what i want not because other girls 'want' them. But mostly i don't go for the boy that all the girls think is hot , i'm hipster like that :P jk, besides i don't have time for all that 'who liked him first' *****iness
    Yes but if you pursue him while he's in a relationship and he accepts then doesn't that just defeat the purpose? I.e the fact that he is willing to get with other girls means he is not 'happy to be in a serious monogamous relationship'.

ReputationRep:

All girls are different so I can't speak for them, but for me, that doesn't come into play when I like a guy. If I like him, I like him. If he's "wanted" by other girls, that's purely coincidental and to be honest, I wouldn't like that!

ReputationRep:

Maybe, there might be some truth in it the "want what you can't have" kind of thing

ReputationRep:

I agree, it seems to be general truth for many many instances...
    However, it's not always like that, I have a friend who really likes dating inexperienced, more eccentric guys (no offense to anyone) and some girls don't like having other girls hanging after their guy - they feel that a 'wanted' guy can be harder to 'keep'...

ReputationRep:
    Yes but if you pursue him while he's in a relationship and he accepts then doesn't that just defeat the purpose? I.e the fact that he is willing to get with other girls means he is not 'happy to be in a serious monogamous relationship'.
    I wouldn't pursue him! It's more of a secret admiration, I said I fanncy them not I go after them.

ReputationRep:

I agree in some ways, but also disagree in others;

If girls fancy a guy, they will often point them out to their friends and be like "He is hot, don't you think?" this is kinda like some sort of approval from your friends? To make sure you aren't making a bad choice?
    I also think that guys in relationships (probably about 50%...) won't think about how they are acting around girls, so they may come across as more friendly, which would make a girl fancy them as they are being so nice. Whereas single guys might come across as a bit too full on if they are trying with a girl? I dunno, but it definitely happens vice versa.

But I also don't think girls ever think to themselves "he has never had a girl interested in him... I can't fancy him! Otherwise, how would anyone get in their first relationship?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.