Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do girls tend to go for guys that are 'wanted' by other girls? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If there was too many girls liking him then I personally wouldn't bother, I get jealous easily (bad trait I know) so wouldn't be able to handle the constant attention he got, and I hate drama and that's what a lot of girls seem to bring when it comes to boys so that's another factor, only my opinion though :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MancBoy)
    My mother always used to say to me that 'girls don't want the guys that other girls don't want'.

I believe that girls tend to go for guys that have been with women before thus the approval from other women is the main factor in dating a guy.

This is also evident in the amount of times girls want the guys that are already in relationships...a good place to look is amount of threads on here about this subject.

Do you think this is true?
    Personally I always like boys who go unnoticed by other girls!! They're the keepers for me. In my opinion I find it kind of off putting if a guy has had quite a few girlfriends. I always become good friends with someone before I know if I 'like' them. I don't think I could be as good of friends with a guy that has a different girlfriend every week!! But this is just my personal opinion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This doesnt work for me. I do the exact opposite, walk off and try not to speak to him as frequently. If he told me he was into me and had alot of girls chasing him at the same time, I wouldnt hesitate for a minute to reject him. He would appear less and less attractive to me and I also create this really messed up image of him being a **** and thinking he is a player. This sort of thing frustrates me and I have no desire to chase girls off. The thought itself is revolting.

ReputationRep:
    Massively so.

Guys will like a girl and for the most part not give a **** what other guys think. Whilst girls want their man to be desired by their peers.

ReputationRep:
    If all the girls like a guy, there's a quality he must have; looks, charm, personality, confidence etc. If none of the girls like him, then he must have nothing going for him.

ReputationRep:
    I think this is only true for women who are insecure or projecting their issues onto the opposite sex. Seeing a man in a relationship is not proof to me that he's a good catch since people date for all kinds of reasons, and you never know what's going on behind closed doors. I have never been remotely interested in any man who has a wife or a girlfriend, and getting involved with such a guy would go deeply against my moral values.

In general human beings enjoy being around people who others enjoy the companyof - those with an infectious affability. So this applies to women as much as men. But not everyone is hugely outgoing and that's okay. You don't have to be that type of person to be liked.

I would not date a man who didn't have a social life (otherwise he'd expect too much attention from me and would probably want a relationship for the wrong reasons) but in general if I'm attracted to a man, I don't particularly care what other people think as per whether he's a match for me. I only care about my own feelings and whether I enjoy spending time with him.

ReputationRep:
    Women are simply Rubiks cubes on steroids. You think you have them figured out but something changes and its a completely different ball game from there. When it comes down to its raw form, women and men will just mind**** each other until the end time. Overall this crap about girls wanting guys..it also applies to guys wanting girls..so again its just once again a mind****. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blindshepherd)
    Women are simply Rubiks cubes on steroids. You think you have them figured out but something changes and its a completely different ball game from there. When it comes down to its raw form, women and men will just mind**** each other until the end time. Overall this crap about girls wanting guys..it also applies to guys wanting girls..so again its just once again a mind****. Hope this helps
    Wrong.

Women are actually quite EASY to understand, when you figure out that some aspects of typical female behaviour (I'm not saying ALL women are the same) do not conform to logic.

In time, you may understand this.

ReputationRep:
    My mother always used to say to me that 'girls don't want the guys that other girls don't want'.

I believe that girls tend to go for guys that have been with women before thus the approval from other women is the main factor in dating a guy.

This is also evident in the amount of times girls want the guys that are already in relationships...a good place to look is amount of threads on here about this subject.

Perhaps, although my dating ethos seems very different from normal girls so I probably can't speak in general.

The whole 'go for a guy girls want' think isn't a factor enough at all for me - I really don't care if other girls like my boyfriend, or infact if my friends like my boyfriend or my parents like them. If I like him, that's what matters and i'll make up my own mind and own decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Wrong.

Women are actually quite EASY to understand, when you figure out that some aspects of typical female behaviour (I'm not saying ALL women are the same) do not conform to logic.

In time, you may understand this.
    Perhaps you need to find more interesting girls that you can't simply generalise and apply a 'formula' to figuring out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    If all the girls like a guy, there's a quality he must have; looks, charm, personality, confidence etc. If none of the girls like him, then he must have nothing going for him.
    Half true but I don't think that can be generalised at all. Just because no one 'likes them' doesn't mean there's nill going for them... shyness for example can be a factor, but if you sit down and take the time to get to know a shy person, you can find hidden treasures.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they do. This is almost as needlessly inane as asking, 'do girls have vaginas'?

ReputationRep:
    Generally, girls pay more attention to me, if I'm around girl friends. Its just how things seem to work.
    If I'm with no one, I get a lot less looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laeof)
    Perhaps you need to find more interesting girls that you can't simply generalise and apply a 'formula' to figuring out.
    I can't even begin to address the flaws in your statement. However, let me just point out that people, though different, use certain predictable patterns of thought and behaviour. This isn't an assumption, but a FACT. The fields of sociology and psychology, among others, are geared towards finding and interpreting these patterns of behaviour.

As I clearly mentioned before, not EVERYONE conforms to EVERYTHING, but most do.

Literally every bit of our lives is influenced and shaped by certain predictors, and by understanding this then you can manipulate behaviour.

There is nothing wrong with manipulating behaviour btw - its in part why you buy gifts for a family or loved one, for example.

The fact that you cannot see such a basic and fundamental thing means that this will fly over your head anyway, so I probably won't bother to address you again.

That being said, if you can understand how to make yourself interesting, how to be confident, among other things, then a guy will be far more attractive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    I can't even begin to address the flaws in your statement. However, let me just point out that people, though different, use certain predictable patterns of thought and behaviour. This isn't an assumption, but a FACT. The fields of sociology and psychology, among others, are geared towards finding and interpreting these patterns of behaviour.

As I clearly mentioned before, not EVERYONE conforms to EVERYTHING, but most do.

Literally every bit of our lives is influenced and shaped by certain predictors, and by understanding this then you can manipulate behaviour.

There is nothing wrong with manipulating behaviour btw - its in part why you buy gifts for a family or loved one, for example.

The fact that you cannot see such a basic and fundamental thing means that this will fly over your head anyway, so I probably won't bother to address you again.

That being said, if you can understand how to make yourself interesting, how to be confident, among other things, then a guy will be far more attractive

However, let me just point out that people, though different, use certain predictable patterns of thought and behaviour. This isn't an assumption, but a FACT. The fields of sociology and psychology, among others, are geared towards finding and interpreting these patterns of behaviour.
    Yes, to a certain extent.

There are people with completely different mind pardigms, they don't conform to 'normality' at all. To you what's crazy, to them is completely normal and it is normal to those who share the same paradigm. One example I can give is of an adult who wouldn't look in the mirror - they were judged that it was because they couldn't stand seeing their own image and thus they had a low self-worth. Infact, the person the person was later diagnosed as Aspergers - the reason they couldn't look in the mirror was because it was an unnatural image to see themselves looking back at them and it made them dizzy.

Some people deviate vastly from psychology patterns. And this is the problem with psychologists - the more they study, the more arrogant they become. This appears to have been slowly changing over the last 8 or so years however.

I don't, i'm notoriously bad for it.

Ego much? I think that's the worst argument i've heard in a while. 'You didn't agree with my point therefore i'm not speaking to you'.

I think the fact you're so set on 'manipulation' may speak for itself. Not everyone acts with the purpose of manipulating others.
    I'd much rather a person act by personal choice, not because i've done something to envoke it. I don't feel a need to manipulate people to like me.

I can't even begin to address the flaws in your statement.
    I still see no counter argument for the point I made - that if girls you know can be easily applied to general rules, then perhaps you should find one's that are more interesting. i.e one's that don't fit so well with general rules.

ReputationRep:
    For sure. You want what you can't have, it's evident from a young age and applies sexually too.

I'll agree in that a lot of the time the men who are wanted will generally just have common attractive traits that make them wanted, less emphasis than them being in a relationship. Though being in a relationship still has an effect and a girl with lesser morals will pursue when you are in a relationship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laeof)
    Yes, to a certain extent.

There are people with completely different mind pardigms, they don't conform to 'normality' at all. To you what's crazy, to them is completely normal and it is normal to those who share the same paradigm. One example I can give is of an adult who wouldn't look in the mirror - they were judged that it was because they couldn't stand seeing their own image and thus they had a low self-worth. Infact, the person the person was later diagnosed as Aspergers - the reason they couldn't look in the mirror was because it was an unnatural image to see themselves looking back at them and it made them dizzy.

Some people deviate vastly from psychology patterns. And this is the problem with psychologists - the more they study, the more arrogant they become. This appears to have been slowly changing over the last 8 or so years however.

I don't, i'm notoriously bad for it.

Ego much? I think that's the worst argument i've heard in a while. 'You didn't agree with my point therefore i'm not speaking to you'.

I think the fact you're so set on 'manipulation' may speak for itself. Not everyone acts with the purpose of manipulating others.
    I'd much rather a person act by personal choice, not because i've done something to envoke it. I don't feel a need to manipulate people to like me.

I still see no counter argument for the point I made - that if girls you know can be easily applied to general rules, then perhaps you should find one's that are more interesting. i.e one's that don't fit so well with general rules.

There are people with completely different mind pardigms, they don't conform to 'normality' at all.
    I said QUITE CLEARLY that there were exceptions to the rule, and that it was indeed a general statement. Yet you chose to ignore that for some reason??????

Some people deviate vastly from psychology patterns.
    Not only do I know this, but I mentioned it in my post. Not EVERYONE is the same, but you can make GENERAL statements that apply to MOST people.

Not everyone acts with the purpose of manipulating others.
    The fact that you are arguing with me is a way of trying to change my opinion, which is manipulation...so yes, everyone DOES act with the purpose of manipulating people, including yourself at this very present moment. You are trying to manipulate me right now, but there's nothing wrong with that.

You just spent an entire paragraph explaining that not everyone is the same, DESPITE THE FACT THAT THAT IS WHAT I SAID IN MY SECOND SENTENCE.
    I think I need to put that in bold, just to point that out.

ReputationRep:
    All girls are not same... may be it's not applicable to all girls...

ReputationRep:
    Um, no? When I find out a guy I am interested in has a girlfriend, I back off. This is probably just some bull**** excuse a guy came up with to explain why no one wanted to suck his ****

ReputationRep:
    I'm running an experiment at the minute.
    I've changed my POF account to read that I get a lot of messages, so try and keep messages relevant and interesting please.

I'm really wondering if it will change a girls mindset, because I get no messages right now

But as I said, girls tend to think a guy is more dateable, etc if you are hanging around with other girls. Its a sociable thing.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.