Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

FOOD AND DRINK: The TSR Crispy Snack Champion Watch

ReputationRep:
    THIS HEAT'S WINNER: PRINGLES!

They might be "Whey Starch Snacks with Corn, Rice and Potato Flours", and though they're technically more cake or biscuits than they are crisps (more sugar and oil than actual potato), it's easier just to say they're.... WINNERS!

Beating down the Space Raiders quite viciously, Pringles can be called numerous things, but they're nothing if not unique. In fact, a couple of things in the vast crispy database of my mind that you might find interesting - there have been no less than FIVE different court rulings stating what Pringles should be classed as - but each time it's been changed. In fact, it's become SO much of a hassle that Proctor and Gamble sold the Pringles brand to KELLOGGS - because at one point they were regarded a "cereal product"!

Moreover, did you know that the machine that cuts the huge "cakes" of pringles into individual chips simultaneously sprays flavour powder on both sides as it chops the slices? More interesting than that, it coats every EIGHTH pringle in a double-dose of powder - because chemically, this is the point when your tongue starts to dull to the taste, and this actually revitalises the tastebuds (meaning you want to eat them again, and "not stop")! Meaning yes, there IS AN ACTUAL REASON why "Once you Pop, you Just Can't Stop!!"

ReputationRep:
    NEW HEAT:

SMITHS CHIPSTICKS versus SEABROOK CRISPS!!

A pair of absolute classics go head-to-head! In fact, one of the coolest things about these two brands is that, although being around for decades, these two still top the "List of Top Fifty Savoury Snacks" sales consistently, every year, here in the UK!!

Seabrook have been the traditional crinkle-cut crisp for almost 70 years, and it's influenced the creation of every crinkle-cut crisp since. And Chipsticks? Well, those are best known for their lip-stinging, eye-wateringly powerful salt and vinegar flavouring (though other flavours do exist!) and their munch-munch-munch factor!

Which goes to round two?

ReputationRep:
    CHIPSTICKS! They are so immense

ReputationRep:
    Chipsticks.

ReputationRep:
    Chopsticks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chipsticks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    chipsticks

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Chipsticks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chipsticks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MelissaJayne)
    girl with taste
    It let you rep me! Thanks

AND I had prawn stir fry earlier which I know from the "what have you eaten today?" thread is one of your favoured lunches

ReputationRep:
    Chip sticks all the way! The ready salted ones :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Man this is so hard...My favourite type cut of crisps is crinkle cut - but I think Seabrooks are too thin: I like them thicker and crunchier like McCoys.

But those ready salted Chipsticks are heaven. Also, I tend to sometimes snap my crinkle cut crisps into little sticks so I get a chipstick factor at the same time. So CHIPSTICKS gets my vote in this round.

ReputationRep:
    Chipsticks

ReputationRep:
    Chipsticks

ReputationRep:
    Seabrooks purely for the canadian ham flavour :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Chipsticks

ReputationRep:
    THIS HEAT'S WINNER IS... SMITHS CHIPSTICKS!!

Chipsticks dominated that one for sure!! Interestingly, no "proper" crisp has won a heat yet, as opposed to baked, popped or otherwise puffy snackily snack! But there's plenty of time yet, and who even cares when gems like the Chipsticks are there in round two?

Just don't do what I do with Chipsticks and accidentally munch right down to the fingertip-skin. Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    NEW HEAT:

MCCOYS CRISPS versus JACOBS TWIGLETS!

Edit: Last post I mentioned no "proper" crisps were in round two yet, I retract that, because though novel, Salt & Shake are proper-as-proper as!

Back to the heats, and the MAN CRISPS take on one of the UK's most polarising (but insanely popular) products, the Twiglets. McCoys have long stood as one of the most heavy, beastly, calorific but MANLY crisps in the Crisp Realm, and now they take on one of the UK's "most exported overseas" products. (Twiglets, oddly enough, are exported in insane amounts, alongside other expat-craved items like Marmite, Hobnobs, Jacobs Cream Crackers, Birds Custard Powder, and McVities Jaffa Cakes).

But which one deserves to get exported to round two/YOUR BELLY? VOTE!!

ReputationRep:
    McCoys..one of the best crisps in my opinion. And Twiglets were easy to say no to..are they even a crisp?! But yeah, McCoys are no nonsense..good flavour, good variety, generous portions. Lovely jubbs.

ReputationRep:
    Twiglets, though I'll probably be murdered for saying that.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.