Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am international student and i applied for pharmacy course in UK.
    My uni choices are Kings, Cardiff, UEA, Bath and leeds(pharmacology) i have left with only cardiff my interview is tmr and others i have got offers already and i dun knw which uni to chooseeeeee and few days ago bath sent me an e-mail regarding the pre-reg year after graduation and apparently they were saying that international students won't be able to get a place for that pre-reg or something... i cant really rmb nw...ya so does anyone having the same problem with me??? please helpppp and in case i can not do pre-reg year in UK I am thinking to go US do you think the uni that i go would matter for me to apply for the pre-reg...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dba)
    Hi i am international student and i applied for pharmacy course in UK.
    My uni choices are Kings, Cardiff, UEA, Bath and leeds(pharmacology) i have left with only cardiff my interview is tmr and others i have got offers already and i dun knw which uni to chooseeeeee and few days ago bath sent me an e-mail regarding the pre-reg year after graduation and apparently they were saying that international students won't be able to get a place for that pre-reg or something... i cant really rmb nw...ya so does anyone having the same problem with me??? please helpppp and in case i can not do pre-reg year in UK I am thinking to go US do you think the uni that i go would matter for me to apply for the pre-reg...

hey.. what exactly did they say the reason is.. because for the universities i applied to, the mpharm course includes a pre-reg year and i am an international student as well.. or do you mean something else?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your comment!
    and this is what they have sent me

Within the current agreement there is no provision for visas for the pharmacy pre-registration training after 2015. This could mean that students graduating after 2015 will have to return to their home countries upon graduating from the MPharm program and may not be able to obtain or undertake pre-registration training and will therefore not be able to complete the requirements for professional registration within the UK.

ReputationRep:
    actually, we still technically can if our pre reg year pays over 20,000 pounds which community pre reg don't as they only pay around 17,000. Hospital pre-reg is 21,000 per year so if you get into a hospital for pre-reg, you're good. Its basically because the tier 5 visa that they used to have, used to allow us to stay that extra year for pre reg despite the income, however, they've changed it to tier 2 so we need at least 20,000 pounds income to be able to get a work visa for our pre reg year.
    i asked PRECISELY this question and here is the reply directly from the pharmacy dept. Hope it helps.

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry and I apologise for the delay in my response. With the current UKBA regulations, students can remain in the UK to complete their pre-registration year under a Tier 2 visa provided they are earning a graduate level salary of £20,000+. Hospital pre-registration is currently paid on the NHS salary Band 5 (£21,000), therefore any international students who obtain a hospital pre-registration will be able to remain in the UK to complete this. The issue at the moment is for those international students who obtain a community pre-registration placement as the majority of these are paid a salary of £17-19,000 (i.e. below £20,000). The Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) have stepped in to offer sponsorship under the Tier 5 visa route, to allow international students who cannot apply under a Tier 2 visa, to complete their pre-registration year (which must be completed to register with the UK regulator namely the General Pharmaceutical Council). This system worked well last year and the University of Manchester pay a fee for this service in order to help our overseas students. However the RPS have not confirmed whether they will extend this scheme beyond 2015.

The UKBA have made a lot of changes to the visa system over the past 18-months, and unfortunately we have no idea what processes will be in place in 2016/17, which would be your potential graduation year however, I can confirm that there has been a lot of discussion between Pharmacy Schools (as they are all in the same difficult position) and the RPS to the UKBA about this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cm123)
    actually, we still technically can if our pre reg year pays over 20,000 pounds which community pre reg don't as they only pay around 17,000. Hospital pre-reg is 21,000 per year so if you get into a hospital for pre-reg, you're good. Its basically because the tier 5 visa that they used to have, used to allow us to stay that extra year for pre reg despite the income, however, they've changed it to tier 2 so we need at least 20,000 pounds income to be able to get a work visa for our pre reg year.
    i asked PRECISELY this question and here is the reply directly from the pharmacy dept. Hope it helps.

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry and I apologise for the delay in my response. With the current UKBA regulations, students can remain in the UK to complete their pre-registration year under a Tier 2 visa provided they are earning a graduate level salary of £20,000+. Hospital pre-registration is currently paid on the NHS salary Band 5 (£21,000), therefore any international students who obtain a hospital pre-registration will be able to remain in the UK to complete this. The issue at the moment is for those international students who obtain a community pre-registration placement as the majority of these are paid a salary of £17-19,000 (i.e. below £20,000). The Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) have stepped in to offer sponsorship under the Tier 5 visa route, to allow international students who cannot apply under a Tier 2 visa, to complete their pre-registration year (which must be completed to register with the UK regulator namely the General Pharmaceutical Council). This system worked well last year and the University of Manchester pay a fee for this service in order to help our overseas students. However the RPS have not confirmed whether they will extend this scheme beyond 2015.

The UKBA have made a lot of changes to the visa system over the past 18-months, and unfortunately we have no idea what processes will be in place in 2016/17, which would be your potential graduation year however, I can confirm that there has been a lot of discussion between Pharmacy Schools (as they are all in the same difficult position) and the RPS to the UKBA about this issue.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH
    o btw are u currently studying pharmacy in uk??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dba)
    THANK YOU SO MUCH
    o btw are u currently studying pharmacy in uk??
    yup, got an unconditional from manchester.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cm123)
    omg that so nice!! congraturations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dba)
    omg that so nice!! congraturations!
    oh wait, sorry misread you last time, im currently on a gap year but am planning going to study pharmacy in manchester this sept '13

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cm123)

I received the same email from Bath yesterday.
    So does it mean that we cannot apply for tier 5 now and can only apply for tier 2 visa? How do we know if we can apply successfully or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cm123)
    did it require u to take ielts?

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to go to fourth year and I'm applying for pre-reg right now. My advice? Run. Go register in the US or in EEA of Australia. The UK's making it harder for us to stay and work, regardless of how good you are. Soon, it will be damn near impossible. If you want to avoid all the stress and leave with your hair: move to another country. The US/Canada are way more favourable to educated non-EEA students as well as are more tolerant of students who want to stay in the country indefinitely (i.e. migrate). The UK just wants your money and then to kick you out on your ass without any experience or post-graduate qualifications. So leave my darlings. And tell everyone else to leave to.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I am an international student in my A2 year and I am looking forward to apply to the MPharm course in the uk, I wanted to know, did you guys got any scholarship or funding so I would apply for it as the tuition fees are massively expensive

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So, UEA, Nottingham and Bradford are the only choice for international student? As they offer 5 years practice integrated which allows student to remain student status throughout 5 years. But the problem is, the tuition fee is so expensive!!!! Actually, i wanna choose Sunderland because of the reasonable tuition fee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicolas Chan)
    So, UEA, Nottingham and Bradford are the only choice for international student? As they offer 5 years practice integrated which allows student to remain student status throughout 5 years. But the problem is, the tuition fee is so expensive!!!! Actually, i wanna choose Sunderland because of the reasonable tuition fee.
    Hi the Bradford 5 year course with integrated registration training is a bit different from the ones at UEA or Nottingham, Currently students get paid a salary during their two 6 month placements, and pay 20% of the university fee for the 5th year. This is both for international students or home/EU students.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.