Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I plan to apply for Oxford this coming October. In the mean time, I will study the Integrated Foundation Programme (IFP) at the University of Edinburgh.

I've read on the Oxford's admission site that they do accept the foundation degree. However, any of you have the data concerning the acceptance rate for the foundation degree holder or anything similarly (other than the main route, A-level).

so I list here some questions

1. Has anyone have the experience applying with the foundation degree? hard? or as same as the A-level applicant?
    I mean, for example, if I get AAA in my foundation degree would it plainly considered the same as A-level AAA?
    or I have to get like A*A*A* to compete with A-level AAA.

2. Should I?
    If I take 4 years at Edinburgh, I'll get bachelor degree. Then 1 more, I'll get master degree. (Totally 5 years)
    If I take 1 year at Edinburgh and 4 more at Oxford (totally 5, the same) , I will get master degree, yet, with more well known university.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I'm going to do foundation year too this fall, but unfortunately I've been told that Oxford accepts foundation students only in theory, also that many people were interviewed but none of them made it to a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potonio)
    Hi everyone!

I plan to apply for Oxford this coming October. In the mean time, I will study the Integrated Foundation Programme (IFP) at the University of Edinburgh.

I've read on the Oxford's admission site that they do accept the foundation degree. However, any of you have the data concerning the acceptance rate for the foundation degree holder or anything similarly (other than the main route, A-level).

so I list here some questions

1. Has anyone have the experience applying with the foundation degree? hard? or as same as the A-level applicant?
    I mean, for example, if I get AAA in my foundation degree would it plainly considered the same as A-level AAA?
    or I have to get like A*A*A* to compete with A-level AAA.
    Hi, I applied to Oxford last year with results from a foundation program so I might be of some help. However, bear in mind that I undertook this (Australian) program outside of the UK so I don't really know much about this UK foundation degree you're doing!

Generally speaking, you're up against some really bright people who're scoring A*s in a qualification which admissions staff are already familiar with so you've got to do your absolute best. Try to become one of the best in your cohort so you can ask your referee to include information about your performance relative to others, make sure you prep well for any aptitude test you're required to take because this might be the only thing tutors can use to compare all applicants fairly.

Basically I think the most important thing you need to do is show them how you're just as competent as someone else taking the A Levels/IB. I think Oxford holds all applicants to the same high standards and they're really nice re: strange qualifications so if they say they accept it, I would say give it a shot (:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replies

here some more questions I would like to ask

1. GPA 3.88 enough?
    2. now I have 2 choices

First, study the A-level by myself and take the test on Oct/Nov. After scanning some past papers, I'm sure that my knowledge from high school is enough to get at least A. However, the test is quite pricey and I probably have a long talk with my parents.

Second, just go to Edinburgh and make sure I get the very high score in Aptitude test.

3. How about go to Edinburgh but apply with the A-level (not with the foundation degree), possible?

Thanks

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.