Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have accepted a place as bucks new uni and wanted to see what people think is the best place to live. I.e Halls or private housing?
    Want to get the most for my money. Im hoping to save abit to put towards a nicer room.

Where is good?

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend Hughenden over Brook Street any day!

Brook Street is one of the Halls here and it's nearly 20 years old and VERY outdated.

Nearly everything there is broken. I lived in two rooms whilst I was there and I was constantly ill. Also it's quite dirty.
    One of my friends room had mold growing on the walls even before he moved in!

I moved out of Brook Street in January because I was fed of the constant noise every night (I couldn't sleep), I was still getting ill and so I transferred to Hughenden Student Village and it's the best thing I EVER did.
    It's clean, you get your own bathroom and so much more quieter. It only means doing a 15-20 minute walk to Uni instead of 6-10 minutes.

Personally I rather pay 20 pounds extra a month to live in a nicer quality place. Plus the beds are MUCH bigger at Hughenden and are almost a double bed. :P

ReputationRep:
    I have been getting mixed views about brook street, My friends sister has the same problem, with mold growing on the walls. I was worried about this and though maybe going into private might be better, But then again you have worry about alot more going wrong! Ive never lived away from home before and I want it to run smoothly.

I am grateful for your reply!

I assume Hughenden is abit further from town? I like the quiet I live in a rural area at the moment. Are you aloud visitors, if yes, what are the rules on this?

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carachannel)
    I have been getting mixed views about brook street, My friends sister has the same problem, with mold growing on the walls. I was worried about this and though maybe going into private might be better, But then again you have worry about alot more going wrong! Ive never lived away from home before and I want it to run smoothly.

I assume Hughenden is abit further from town? I like the quiet I live in a rural area at the moment. Are you aloud visitors, if yes, what are the rules on this?

Thanks again!
    I personally would really suggest going into halls! I had a Bucks uni house in first year and it was the biggest dive possible! Plus, everyone will tell you how amazing halls are!

Like the person above I would also recommend Hughenden, it's where I spent most of my first year and I loved it! It is a little further outside town than the other halls, but its worth the extra walk. Plus, there's a bus stop just outside that goes into town and is free for students

Yes you can have visitors in halls, you just need to sign them in. I believe it's 2 guests per student per night. So just say you had 3 friends visit you could sign in 2, and then maybe get a friend to sign in the third.

Hope that helps!
    S x

ReputationRep:

Thanks again!
    Ahhh it's not that much further at all. I find I can get into town in 15 minutes, uni in 18, to the train station between 18-20 minutes.
    But yes it's sooo much quieter than Brook Street. I couldn't sleep there at all. One of my friends here is an Senior Resident and last year she was at Brook Street, she was called out every 20 minutes or so to sort out problems such as noise or fights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie27891)
    I personally would really suggest going into halls! I had a Bucks uni house in first year and it was the biggest dive possible! Plus, everyone will tell you how amazing halls are!

Like the person above I would also recommend Hughenden, it's where I spent most of my first year and I loved it! It is a little further outside town than the other halls, but its worth the extra walk. Plus, there's a bus stop just outside that goes into town and is free for students

Yes you can have visitors in halls, you just need to sign them in. I believe it's 2 guests per student per night. So just say you had 3 friends visit you could sign in 2, and then maybe get a friend to sign in the third.

Hope that helps!
    S x
    Free bus is a bit unreliable. Yesterday it was 45 minutes late and that's quite normal. But it's always on time from the bus station just not outside Hughenden Halls. Bus journey is around 5 minutes to and from town.
    Personally I walk to Uni as it's all down hill then I take the bus up.

Ahh but on the Guests situation if you do have one there is a cut off time to Guests. Last time to sign someone is around about 10 at Hughenden and I think Brook Street is 9.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how much finance you get per term and how much it works out at per month you get, for your accommodation and living expenses? Im just cerious so I can get an idea of how much to expect to get and how much extra I need to earn.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how much finance you get per term and how much it works out at per month you get, for your accommodation and living expenses? Im just cerious so I can get an idea of how much to expect to get and how much extra I need to earn.
    Hello if you do your student finance by your parents income, which I strongly suggest you do, it will entirely depend on that as to how much you get a month. Best bet is to check out the student finance website

Personally, I'm in the highest band and therefore don't get a grant, and I got £4334 for the year. So it works out at around £360 over a 12 month period.
    Hope this helps
    S x

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.