Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do you think this is fair? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    It's almost like if you're driving a car and the police stop you and ask you for your licence AND the passengers licence.

"Well your passenger doesn't have a license. So I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to let you keep driving."
    True

ReputationRep:
    I work in Morrisons on the checkouts and I too have been told to do this. Its store policy as the implications of a minor obtaining alcohol through our store are much worse than the implications of refusing someone some beer. She will just be doing what she is told, but like OP said she should have explained it in a nice way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpottedZebra)
    The cashier couldn't 100% guarantee that a mother wasn't going to give the 12 year old child that was with her some of the alcohol that she was buying, but they would have sold it in that situation....

With parents consent, a child can drink at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSeeber1)
    With parents consent, a child can drink at home.
    True but I'm pretty sure it would have been the same situation if it was a sister at Tesco with her brother/ other relations. I was just using mother as an example

ReputationRep:
    True but I'm pretty sure it would have been the same situation if it was a sister at Tesco with her brother/ other relations. I was just using mother as an example

Possibly, It all depends on which store you go to, who serves you and plenty more factors. At the end of the day it's the law and although it seems unfair the cashier was right to not sell you the alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSeeber1)
    Possibly, It all depends on which store you go to, who serves you and plenty more factors. At the end of the day it's the law and although it seems unfair the cashier was right to not sell you the alcohol.
    I'm not really saying it was the cashier's fault, I'm just saying I don't like the store policy and I think the cashier could have dealt withe the situation in a politer, friendlier way.

ReputationRep:
    I find it annoying, it happened to me in Sainsburys the other day, there were about 5 of us buying alcohol predrinks and there was one girl who wasn't getting anything and was just standing near the door. She didn't have ID with her as she didn't bring her purse since she wasn't buying anything but since they found out she was with us they wouldn't sell us anything. What's more it was her birthday and she had a big helium balloon saying '22' on it and was wearing two badges saying 2 on them (they don't make 22 badges) but they still wouldn't believe she was over 18 without ID

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but the sister isn't her mother ...

ReputationRep:
    This has been in the news a lot. I remember there was a woman in Tesco who was buying wine and her daughter, who was like 9 or something, had to go and wait outside.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends- I was in the supermarket with my 50-something uncle the other week, who was buying me peach shnapps, cheap vodka and alcopops, so it was fairly obvious it wasn't for him, so I think she was well within her right to ask me for ID. Saying that, if he was buying expensive and good quality whiskey, wine or something of the sort I would of been a bit miffed if I got asked for ID

ReputationRep:
    in the long run it's better for all of the idiotic teenagers of the country

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair tbh.... especially as you AREN'T 18 so you really can't complain... you were pretty dumb to try to buy it together anyway, I'm 19 and I still tell my friends to wait outside when I'm buying alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    My dad buys alcohol when I'm with him and I'm 17...it's not like I'm buying it. That woman was a little over the top. No need for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    This is why I always wait outside while my friends buy booze/cigs.
    Yup, problem solved. No big deal.
    • Welcome Squad

This happened to me, but i was buying nail varnish remover and they asked for ID...
    I was with an adult who had id and they refused to sell it to her incase she wass buying it for me.... this was at co op.
    i didnt make a big deal...if its their policy then i guess you have to accept it... (its not that bad)

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha me and some of my freinds who are in A2 do this all the time , but we wait back or outside the class and drink beer every now and then , if you look much younger then hang back and dont make it bait.

ReputationRep:
    They do this in the tesco near me too, it's one of many policies they have. That's why if any of my mates who are 18+ go in and buy alcohol they always tell me to wait outside lol

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.