Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Cutting off my own split ends Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it ok to do this? I mean, if I get a pair of sharp hairdressing scissors and cut my split ends off - will it improve the overall texture of my hair or should I just go to the hairdresser? I don't really want to go and get it cut as I'm growing it out and I didn't actually have it cut that long ago. I thought I was conditioning it well, but maybe not!

ReputationRep:
    You can just ask them to nip the ends off. My hairdresser told me your hair grows better if you have that done; the split ends will continue to peel, making you hair look a little scruffy. I straighten my hair like mental, so get the ends clipped off every couple of months. I also grew my hair out, and getting it trimmed doesn't slow it down much
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I'd just let a hairdresser do it. As someone said above, you can ask them just to chop the split ends off. You might cut your ends at an odd angle so it's much easier to let someone do it who's able to cut it from the back. Conditioning does help and you should still do it, but once split ends appear, cutting them is the only way to get rid of them. I know lots of haircare brands say their stuff will repair them, but all they do is seal the hair and don't actually reverse the damage.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.