Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm picking my module choices for next year and get to pick quite a wide variety. I went for an option outside of Law this year (only got to choose 1 module) so I'm wondering if I should choose more traditional topics or whether employers don't really mind what you choose. I think I want to go into commercial law, although I'm not 100% sure and will most likely take a year out before applying for training contracts.

Anyway, I'm really interested in the theory of law and morality and there's quite a few modules I can take which sound really interesting to me. But then there's the sensible side of me telling me to take Commercial Law, Company Law etc. for the sake of my future career.

Any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I understand your dilemma - I've been there! How many subjects can you choose? I managed to include at least one subject for pure interest (family law - not something i want to practice), but also went for Commercial and Company Law. I'm a current third year, so when I interviewed for TCs in second year I hadn't started these subjects yet - but I had selected them already. I personally felt it did help defend my 'interest in commercial law as a career' angle.

However, having started them this year, I really enjoy both subjects! So it's not a strict interest vs doing-it-for-the-TC thing. Have a look at some of the textbooks and see if you think you can enjoy the subject - at the end of the day, the law firms will be much more impressed with good grades in subjects you loved rather than meh grades in subjects you didn't particularly want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lattywatty)
    Hi there,

I'm picking my module choices for next year and get to pick quite a wide variety. I went for an option outside of Law this year (only got to choose 1 module) so I'm wondering if I should choose more traditional topics or whether employers don't really mind what you choose. I think I want to go into commercial law, although I'm not 100% sure and will most likely take a year out before applying for training contracts.

Anyway, I'm really interested in the theory of law and morality and there's quite a few modules I can take which sound really interesting to me. But then there's the sensible side of me telling me to take Commercial Law, Company Law etc. for the sake of my future career.

Any thoughts?
    It doesn't have a big effect.

However, anyone who attended your university will know what the doss options were.

Moreover some courses are known for being hard wherever they are taken:-jurisprudence, personal property, restitution, succession, tax. People who take them as options generally aren't afraid of hard work.

Human rights can sometimes be seen in a negative light in that people are just following the herd to something fashionable.

Be careful about taking options from other departments. You need to have a narrative about why you are doing this, so that you do not give the impression that you are running away from law.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.