Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I have gotten an offer from Leicester and Newcastle and I'm not really sure which one i should choose >< they both have really good course structures so I'm not really sure >< any advice anyone ? Thank you!
    Things I am looking for/considering:
    Course structure
    they both seem equally good only that while Leicester as dissection, Newcastle has prosection but Newcastle seems to have more 'exposure'. with the 4 base units and all
    Cost of living
    Newcastle seems cheaoer
    Accomodation
    Although it'll only be for a year. While Newcastle's is close to the medical school, Leicester's seem pretty good being a student village and all
    Opportunities:
    To participate in research/take part in activities that will value add my CV, not just the clubs and societies but also opportunities given by the university
    Social life:
    I am looking for a reasonable amount of partying kind of place if you know what i mean...In this aspect Leicester seems better than newcastle..

Please feel free to correct me if i have any misconceptions!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Have you visited both universities and/or cities before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)
    Yeah I've been to both cities and stayed over for my interviews and I've been around the universities but I'm still not sure which one 's better suited for me >< I guess I would enjoy a Uni where there is a lot going on (a lot of school activities/volunteering opportunities ) and also one where there is good support and a good learning environment and where there is a good amount of exposure to clinical settings (like different places ; eg: GP Clinic, different hospitals ) so I am just looking for people's opinions (: are you a current medical student at either of the unis?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Hey suncake! Are you in the same position? Which one are you choosing ?

• PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovebullets)
    Hey suncake! Are you in the same position? Which one are you choosing ?

Yes, I am now in the same difficult position! Except I actually live in Newcastle, so I'm familiar with the city if you want to ask anything about it.

I think both universities would have all those things you mentioned in your previous post, and neither one of the courses seems much different or superior to the other, which is what's making the choice so hard. For me, the deciding factor is whether or not I want to move away from my home city. Your choice will probably also end up being decided by which city you prefer, not the course.

I would agree with everything in your first post, apart from the last point about partying - I've heard Newcastle has a reputation for being one of the best cities for nightlife in the UK Newcastle also seems more cultural and has much prettier buildings (:lol:)... I don't think I've done enough research about both yet so I'm still undecided. Sorry I can't be any more helpful

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year Leicester medic, I'll post my thoughts later on today for you (I'm trying my best to not procrastinate )
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    I'm a first year Leicester medic, I'll post my thoughts later on today for you (I'm trying my best to not procrastinate )
    Ooh thanks

ReputationRep:
    Leicester MBChB - 5 Year Course (just for clarification)

Course Structure
    Very well designed. There is a 'system based approach' - we started off with the core scientific principles (cells, metabolism, DNA, tissues etc) in the first semester and moved onto systems in the second semester (cardiovascular, musculoskeletal) The way they design the course allows us to constantly build and re-evaluate our knowledge. We have exams at the end of each semester (called ESA's) and they assess our knowledge on that semester. All the modules are combined together as we are required to integrate our knowledge. The pass mark is very high, but that reflects the high standard. If you pass (roughly 70%) you can be pretty sure you're doing fine.

The only negative is that we get poor exam feedback. If you do well (this isn't a problem) but if you don't, you only get problem areas flagged up.

Cost of Living
    Fairly cheap (I used to live in London, which is probably why I make this assumption) to be honest, outside of london, most things are fairly similar.

Accommodation
    As you rightly said, we live in 'Oadby Student Village' which is around 15 minutes away by bus. There are major ups and downs to this:

Advantages: Very social, great atmosphere, there is a bus service which runs monday-friday, every 10 minutes, close to ASDA, great range of accommodation (depending on what you want)

Disadvantages: Not living on campus can be a pain at times, particularly when it comes to things after university hours. You can't roll out of bed and into lectures.

Other
    During the first year, the timetable is 9am-1pm everyday which is amazing. It's kinda like school in the sense you'll be in everyday at 9 but the fact we finish at 1pm makes it worth it.

Medic parent scheme is pretty great, my parents have given me a lot of support (I could be your medic parents next year if you decide to come to leiceser - which is a great incentive haha)

Great pastoral support, the staff are approachable and happy to answer any questions after lectures.

Overall
    I love Leicester and I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you decide to go. As far as I know Newcastle has an amazing medical school so either way you'll be doing medicine at a great place.

All the best

ReputationRep:
    X
    X
    Check my post above

ReputationRep:
    Shameless plugging, but check out the latest edition of: 'The Medic Magazine'

http://www.lusuma.com/downloads/inde...A+Magazines%2F

ReputationRep:
    I'd go to Newcastle but only because when I looked around Leicester I found it small and a bit dull. Wherever you go you'll come out with the same outcome though, they're both good medical schools so wherever you pick you win. There are open days though so you can decide after them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    I'd go to Newcastle but only because when I looked around Leicester I found it small and a bit dull. Wherever you go you'll come out with the same outcome though, they're both good medical schools so wherever you pick you win. There are open days though so you can decide after them.
    But it seems that the open days are after the deadline by which we have to decide on our firms, or are there open days that the universities will hold for offer holders?

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    But it seems that the open days are after the deadline by which we have to decide on our firms, or are there open days that the universities will hold for offer holders?

Thank you!
    I meant offer holder days.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    x
    Thanks for that Would you say that living at Oadby is generally a good or bad point? How many lectures do you get compared to group work/seminars etc.?

I wonder if we can get a similar level of insight for Newcastle :ninja:...

(Original post by hoonosewot)
    qfa
    Hiii, you're a Newcastle medic right? Got a spare few minutes? :angel:

ReputationRep:
    hey, I'm in the same position, but BSMS (Brightoin and Sussex) is also thrown into the mix! I have no idea what to choose! It is very cold up north though... then again, i count anything above bristol as up north
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutButter2000)
    hey, I'm in the same position, but BSMS (Brightoin and Sussex) is also thrown into the mix! I have no idea what to choose! It is very cold up north though... then again, i count anything above bristol as up north
    I always complain about the cold here, but tbh it works both ways. The south has crap weather when we don't, sometimes

ReputationRep:
    x
    Thanks for your information! I'm trying to choose between Leicester and Soton so this is helpful!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third year at Leicester. If you have any specific questions, PM me.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Would you say that living at Oadby is generally a good or bad point? How many lectures do you get compared to group work/seminars etc.?
    I'm pretty happy in Oadby and you kinda get over the whole 'not living on campus' quite quickly when you realise the positives of all the students living so close to one another - the social element is pretty awesome.

So from 9am-1pm, it's a bit like this:
    9-10: Lecture
    10-11: Lecture (the lectures aren't usually an hour, so you get a 10-15 minute break between the two)
    11-11:30 : Break
    11:30-1pm: Group work (you get placed in a group of 7-8 and they will be your group for 2 and a half years - there are set questions in the workbook and as a group you have to work through them, with a clinical educator in the room. You share the clinical educator with 3 other groups)

You're then free for the day

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty happy in Oadby and you kinda get over the whole 'not living on campus' quite quickly when you realise the positives of all the students living so close to one another - the social element is pretty awesome.

So from 9am-1pm, it's a bit like this:
    9-10: Lecture
    10-11: Lecture (the lectures aren't usually an hour, so you get a 10-15 minute break between the two)
    11-11:30 : Break
    11:30-1pm: Group work (you get placed in a group of 7-8 and they will be your group for 2 and a half years - there are set questions in the workbook and as a group you have to work through them, with a clinical educator in the room. You share the clinical educator with 3 other groups)

You're then free for the day
    Do you have any idea what the A101 course is like?

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.