Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newtothis83)
    Do you have any idea what the A101 course is like?
    Indeed, first semester is very similar to the A100 (we're in the same lectures) the only difference is that on Fridays the graduates have an additional GI Modules (which they share with the second years)

So basically, monday-thursday you guys are 9-1 with us, but on fridays you have metabolism with us (9-1) - we then finish, but you guys have Gastro from 1-5 with the second years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    Indeed, first semester is very similar to the A100 (we're in the same lectures) the only difference is that on Fridays the graduates have an additional GI Modules (which they share with the second years)

So basically, monday-thursday you guys are 9-1 with us, but on fridays you have metabolism with us (9-1) - we then finish, but you guys have Gastro from 1-5 with the second years
    Thank you.

(can't rep you anymore)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newtothis83)
    Thank you.

(can't rep you anymore)
    I'll rep you instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)
    Thanks for that Would you say that living at Oadby is generally a good or bad point? How many lectures do you get compared to group work/seminars etc.?

I wonder if we can get a similar level of insight for Newcastle :ninja:...

Hiii, you're a Newcastle medic right? Got a spare few minutes? :angel:

(Original post by Lovebullets)
    Hello! I have gotten an offer from Leicester and Newcastle and I'm not really sure which one i should choose >< they both have really good course structures so I'm not really sure >< any advice anyone ? Thank you!
    Things I am looking for/considering:
    Course structure
    they both seem equally good only that while Leicester as dissection, Newcastle has prosection but Newcastle seems to have more 'exposure'. with the 4 base units and all
    Cost of living
    Newcastle seems cheaoer
    Accomodation
    Although it'll only be for a year. While Newcastle's is close to the medical school, Leicester's seem pretty good being a student village and all
    Opportunities:
    To participate in research/take part in activities that will value add my CV, not just the clubs and societies but also opportunities given by the university
    Social life:
    I am looking for a reasonable amount of partying kind of place if you know what i mean...In this aspect Leicester seems better than newcastle..

Please feel free to correct me if i have any misconceptions!
    I go to Newcastle and grew up in and around Leicester so i have a decent insight into this. I don't really know Leicester med school though. I'll just describe Newcastle:

Course structure = integrated. 1st and 2nd year are a mixture of lectures, seminars, clinical skill sessions and prosection sessions, as well as a couple of hospital and GP visit days. 3rd and 5th year are clinical years working and learning in hospitals around the region. 4th year is half lectures, half SSCs and your elective.

Cost of living = Newcastle is certainly cheaper, especially if you avoid living in Jesmond.

Accommodation = Halls in 1st year. Richardson road is the equivalent of the student village. It's a bit manky but great great fun, and i think it's being renovated at the moment. Then there are various other options ranging from pricey and nice to cheap and dirty, you can get catered accommodation at Castle Leazes if you want as well.

Opportunities: Newcastle is great for research opportunities, it's one of the leading stem cell centres in the world, the Life Centre does a huge amount in the genetics field, and the RVI and Freeman are both world-leading hospitals.

The Freeman is one of the largest centres in the world for heart and lung transplants, and carries out a lot of trials in Oncology and Haematology in it's cancer institute. Leicester has some good hospitals, but in terms of world leading research it's just not in Newcastles league.

In terms of sport Newcastle isn't quite up there with the likes of Loughborough, Durham, Bath etc, but it's teams are certainly a long way above Leicester on the most part. In the BUCS league this year Newcastle finished 11th to Leicesters 60th.

Social life: Leicester night life is good, but again not on the same level as Newcastle. There's a reason Newcastle has the reputation it does, there are a ton of bars and clubs, and they all serve extremely cheap drinks. Outside of the drinking there's the Metro Centre which is one of the largest shopping centres in Europe, tons of restaurants, the seaside and Northumberland countryside nearby and so on. You certainly won't run out of stuff to do here.
    If you want a quiet life then you don't have to go out, but it's there as an option.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    x
    Thanks! So... do you generally prefer living in Newcastle over Leicester? Also, can you remember what the timetable for first year is like + does it beat Leicester's 1pm finishes every day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suncake)
    Thanks! So... do you generally prefer living in Newcastle over Leicester? Also, can you remember what the timetable for first year is like + does it beat Leicester's 1pm finishes every day?
    Yeh, definitely. Don't get me wrong, Leicester is a decent mid-sized city, and there's plenty to like about it, particularly nowadays as it's got a lot nicer in recent years. However Newcastle is just so much better, i have no plans to move back home after i graduate, i can see myself living in and around Newcastle for the foreseeable future.

1st year was a while ago now so it's a bit of a struggle, but i can look on the LSE (our online resource) and see their timetable.

So this week they had 5 hours of lectures on Monday, Tuesday and Friday, 2 hours on Thursday and day off on Wednesday.

The week before they had:
    Monday - 4 hours lectures and 2 hour dissection session
    Tuesday - 2 hours lectures and a hospital visit in the afternoon
    Wednesday - 2 hours lectures
    Thursday - 4 hours lectures, 2 hours clinical skills session
    Friday - 3 hours lectures.

In terms of finishes, you always get Wednesday afternoon, and you'll often get 1 or 2 more early finishes each week. It does vary depending on which module you're on at that time though.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    x
    Awesome. Thanks so much

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.