Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Stabbing pain in chest when breathing? :( what just happened? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Not sure how to talk about what happened earlier but when I was walking back from uni I was about halfway home when suddenly I started to get a pain whenever I breathed in. I have had minor pain when breathing before so I just ignored it and carried on, however, about 5 minutes later the pain became really bad and I could not even breathe in a little bit without a horrendous stabbing pain on my left side of chest (around heart I think). I couldn't even walk because moving hurt my chest so bad I ended up just leaning against a wall struggling to breathe and panicking so bad..I was grabbing my chest and struggling to breathe I even tried doing cpr on myself (lol i know that sounds weird, I just mean i was putting pressure around the painful area) but...it sort of helped, after basically trying to do cpr I felt a click or pop around my heart/lung area and the pain started to go away...I was in pain for a good 10-12 minutes before that popping feeling happened.

I am so scared there is something wrong with my heart. I get this feeling quite alot nowadays. I am not exactly unhealthy, I am not overweight, do not smoke or drink but I could exercise more. I am just terrified that one day I wont be able to breathe without pain. I am getting a doctors appointment but I was just wondering has this happened to anyone before and could it just be something like stress?

Thanks for reading

ReputationRep:
    I have had this problem, and they said it was either due to stress or poor posture- but definitely get checked out by your doctor! Quite a lot of young people also get random chest pain due to inflammation from stress as well

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It's OK I used to get that all the time (but strangely not this past year...?) It's common in young people. It's cramps in the pleural muscles but I forget the proper term.

A poorly understood but totally harmless condition. And yes it can and does hurt that much.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses least I know I am not the only one who has had this! I am guessing that it could be stress related but to be honest I have not been as stressed this week (because I got told I got a 1st class for my thesis yay!) but I will ask a doctor about it asap because it is really scary when it happens.

Oh and when you say young people how young do you mean? because i'm 22, don't know if that is still classed as "young" lol.

(Original post by Bumblingbee)
    Hi there,

Not sure how to talk about what happened earlier but when I was walking back from uni I was about halfway home when suddenly I started to get a pain whenever I breathed in. I have had minor pain when breathing before so I just ignored it and carried on, however, about 5 minutes later the pain became really bad and I could not even breathe in a little bit without a horrendous stabbing pain on my left side of chest (around heart I think). I couldn't even walk because moving hurt my chest so bad I ended up just leaning against a wall struggling to breathe and panicking so bad..I was grabbing my chest and struggling to breathe I even tried doing cpr on myself (lol i know that sounds weird, I just mean i was putting pressure around the painful area) but...it sort of helped, after basically trying to do cpr I felt a click or pop around my heart/lung area and the pain started to go away...I was in pain for a good 10-12 minutes before that popping feeling happened.

I am so scared there is something wrong with my heart. I get this feeling quite alot nowadays. I am not exactly unhealthy, I am not overweight, do not smoke or drink but I could exercise more. I am just terrified that one day I wont be able to breathe without pain. I am getting a doctors appointment but I was just wondering has this happened to anyone before and could it just be something like stress?

Thanks for reading
    Jesus Christ mate you should have called an ambulance you muppet. I would go to A&E strait away and if it starts again then call 999. Those are potentially life threatening symptoms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laomedeia)
    Jesus Christ mate you should have called an ambulance you muppet. I would go to A&E strait away and if it starts again then call 999. Those are potentially life threatening symptoms.
    Hi there thanks for the reply but I did not call an ambulance because I get this quite frequently and I am pretty sure it is not a heart attack because I don't have the other symptoms for that like numb arm etc...and also I can sort of reduce the pain if I put alot of pressure on the painful area. Yeah I know it is threatening symptoms but because it only lasts about 15 minutes I don't think it is worth the ambulances time .

ReputationRep:
    You should go and see your GP, just in case I have a similar problem but mine is heart related and had it for many years..

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, it is common in younger people. I've had it quite a few times.
    Sounds like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome
    Go to your doctor if you are really worried.

ReputationRep:
    I would visit the Doctor. It seriously could be a myriad of problems not even related to a heart attack - but it's good just to go and make sure.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I called up nhs 24 cause it happened again yesterday and I was just sitting on couch watching tv!! bah its so annoying. Anyways, I have an appointment booked this week for doctor . They were not that helpful on phone, they just asked a tonne of questions and unrelated stuff. Thanks for your replies anyway I will reply if I get told anything new.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehlouise)
    As others have said, it is common in younger people. I've had it quite a few times.
    Sounds like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome
    Go to your doctor if you are really worried.
    Hmm, after reading that article, the symptoms are very identical to prolapse (something related to heart mitral valves). Can it be that doctors incorrectly made a diagnosis?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.