The Student Room Group

A2 English Literature WJEC anyone? 2013

Hello peeps!

Interested in anyone else who studies A2 WJEC Lit, I'm studying King Lear and Oedipus Rex. Also Paradise Lost book 9 by Milton.

Is anyone else doing this?

I'm really aspirational with my A Levels and hope to take Literature further at Uni. I got an A grade in AS paper (I was 2 marks off an A in the exam but my CW pushed my grade up).

With this is mind, is it still possible for me to get an A*? I'd love that....

I'm worried about the exam being 'closed text' though.

Would like your WJECies thoughts please, aha :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello... I'm also on WJEC, and have just been searching for what A* grade boundaries has been in previous years - cannot find it anywhere!

I know I'm no help to you, but if anybody does have any idea what the grade boundaries are then I'd love to know!

(Btw - I'm doing Hamlet & Revenger's Tragedy, aswell as The Wife of Bath's Tale :smile: )
Reply 2
I did my A-levels last year and got A* for English Literature (WJEC), though I studied different texts (Hamlet + RT). What I would say, though, is make sure you know the assessment objectives inside out! Whenever I wrote an exam the different AOs were a constant thought in my mind and I would make a mental note whenever I used one. Give the examiners what they want - but make sure not to waffle. Refer to the essay title throughout and make sure your essay is centred on the question. That may seem like I'm pointing out the obvious, but too many students try to adapt the question to their liking.
Reply 3
Original post by R3cognize
I did my A-levels last year and got A* for English Literature (WJEC), though I studied different texts (Hamlet + RT). What I would say, though, is make sure you know the assessment objectives inside out! Whenever I wrote an exam the different AOs were a constant thought in my mind and I would make a mental note whenever I used one. Give the examiners what they want - but make sure not to waffle. Refer to the essay title throughout and make sure your essay is centred on the question. That may seem like I'm pointing out the obvious, but too many students try to adapt the question to their liking.

Well done! :smile:

Do you remember what the grade boundary was for an A*?

Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by R3cognize

That's amazing, well done! :smile:

So, do I still have the chance to get an A*, even though my A wasn't very high for AS?
Reply 5
I'm doing King Lear & Oedipus for my drama, with Blake's Songs of Innocence and Experience as my poetry. You can totally get an A* at A2, you need to get 90% for the A2 course (so the coursework and exam).
Reply 6
Im doing Measure for Measure and Duchess of Malfi for drama with Songs of Innocence and Experience as poetry and im freaking out as well! Mostly because we have to memorize critics as well as quotes, etc I found a the 2011 grade boundries for WJEC English if thats helpful?
Original post by AlexU
Im doing Measure for Measure and Duchess of Malfi for drama with Songs of Innocence and Experience as poetry and im freaking out as well! Mostly because we have to memorize critics as well as quotes, etc I found a the 2011 grade boundries for WJEC English if thats helpful?

How many of the poems are you going to learn for Blake? And are we suppose to memorise whole poems or just certain lines?

If any one is doing RT and Hamlet, any tips would be appreciated.
Reply 8
Original post by SiriusCybernetics
How many of the poems are you going to learn for Blake? And are we suppose to memorise whole poems or just certain lines?

If any one is doing RT and Hamlet, any tips would be appreciated.

I've been advised to learn a minimum of 10 for Blake.
Reply 9
Original post by Kousar
Hello peeps!

Interested in anyone else who studies A2 WJEC Lit, I'm studying King Lear and Oedipus Rex. Also Paradise Lost book 9 by Milton.

Is anyone else doing this?

I'm really aspirational with my A Levels and hope to take Literature further at Uni. I got an A grade in AS paper (I was 2 marks off an A in the exam but my CW pushed my grade up).

With this is mind, is it still possible for me to get an A*? I'd love that....

I'm worried about the exam being 'closed text' though.

Would like your WJECies thoughts please, aha :colone:

How many quotes are you learning for Lear, or are you just memorising the whole play? :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Nathaniell
How many quotes are you learning for Lear, or are you just memorising the whole play? :smile:

Gahhhh. Don't remind me.... o.O lol Our class hasn't even finished studying King Lear yet nor Oedipus Rex. In terms of memorisation, I want to memorise as much as I can. I'm that kind of person, I have to have a lot of detail otherwise I feel under-prepared in exams. I do this for history. But I'm not even familiar with the text yet, I need to start revising in these holidays. Got so much to dooooo :'((((
I'm studying King Lear, Webster's 'The White Devil' and Blake's Songs of Innocence/ Experience too, still feel really unprepared though. :frown: Remembering quotes is definitely my biggest worry at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kousar
Gahhhh. Don't remind me.... o.O lol Our class hasn't even finished studying King Lear yet nor Oedipus Rex. In terms of memorisation, I want to memorise as much as I can. I'm that kind of person, I have to have a lot of detail otherwise I feel under-prepared in exams. I do this for history. But I'm not even familiar with the text yet, I need to start revising in these holidays. Got so much to dooooo :'((((

Oh no! have you finished your poems at least? We're doing John Donne -> Yay :argh: haha. Memorizing isn't too bad to be honest. I wouldn't over stress the detail part when it comes to memorising the quotes though or that will probably just drive you mad, the WJEC examiners are quite lenient when it comes to the odd word being changed/forgotten or missed out. But i full agree with that, the more quotes the merrier, over Easter i'm going to have tried to have memorized key quotes from all the acts.. wish me luck D: If you need any help give me a shout :smile: GL .. and start your memorizing now!:tongue:
Reply 13
Oh no! have you finished your poems at least? We're doing John Donne -> Yay :argh: haha. Memorizing isn't too bad to be honest. I wouldn't over stress the detail part when it comes to memorising the quotes though or that will probably just drive you mad, the WJEC examiners are quite lenient when it comes to the odd word being changed/forgotten or missed out. But i full agree with that, the more quotes the merrier, over Easter i'm going to have tried to have memorized key quotes from all the acts.. wish me luck D: If you need any help give me a shout :smile: GL .. and start your memorizing now!:tongue:

You're starting already? I feel so jell!! (I know, I go all Essex to annoy people). What other A Levels do you do? Because I've got a mammoth amount to memorise for History and Ethics. EEEEK:confused:
I always tend to abandon english untill last minute, even though english is the subject I love :frown: and want to carry on in Uni. The same happened last year, I got bogged down in History and got a B for my AS. (However I resat this year and it's an A). I can't get into uni unless I get an A. For poetry....agh...t's terrible. We're doing John Milton, Paradise Lost Book 9. The english is terribly old and hard!! I have no idea how I'm supposed to even memorise that! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh *literally stressing*
Reply 14

Have you actually finished studying all books? Because our class is no where near finished :/ I've had a terrible mess up with teachers, and this is with ALL my subjects. (I've often ranted about this on other posts, I even cried about it to my tutor- pathetic right? But darn right stressful!)
Reply 15
Im stressing most about critics, i think :frown: memorising them is going to be hell. We've finished all our texts, so im trying to dedicate the Easter break to memorising them, an Blake is not going too badly, cos he has about 3 main themes so its not too bad; but Measure for Measure and Duchess of Malfi are so daunting :frown: How did you guys find your coursework?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Hi,

I'm actually doing OCR and I'm doing King Lear, The Wife Of Bath, and The Rivals.

I was just wondering how you guys sorted your revision e.g posters or mind maps or whatever and what kind of themes you divide the text into.

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Reply 17
Original post by AlexU
Im stressing most about critics, i think :frown: memorising them is going to be hell. We've finished all our texts, so im trying to dedicate the Easter break to memorising them, an Blake is not going too badly, cos he has about 3 main themes so its not too bad; but Measure for Measure and Duchess of Malfi are so daunting :frown: How did you guys find your coursework?

It 'frightens' me how everyone else posting on here has pretty much studies their texts when I havent, so it kind of gives me an excuse to not start revising something I don't have full information on. How come your memorising critics? We don't have to do that....or haven't been told anyway.

Coursework, well yet again our class hasnt even submitted our final draft....

Original post by Eireann95
Hi,

I'm actually doing OCR and I'm doing King Lear, The Wife Of Bath, and The Rivals.

I was just wondering how you guys sorted your revision e.g posters or mind maps or whatever and what kind of themes you divide the text into.

I'd really appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Gahhhh. Revision, well can't say much there cause I havent even started and I find it hard to revise English. I don't do posters though. I just make notes, and I can't even get myself to do that sometimes. I was supposed to wake up at 9 in the morning today to revise but ended up waking up at 12. What is wrong with me, I can assure you I wasn't like this last year. That's why I came out with decent grades! *pulls hair out*
Reply 18
Original post by Kousar
It 'frightens' me how everyone else posting on here has pretty much studies their texts when I havent, so it kind of gives me an excuse to not start revising something I don't have full information on. How come your memorising critics? We don't have to do that....or haven't been told anyway.

Hahaha well we were like this last year, and I didnt read my partner text, Kindertransport till a week before the exam! I was shocked that i managed to scrape an A. :eek: Oh we've been given a bucketload of critical essays and been told we need to know critical information from named critics for one strand of AO3 :confused: Is no one else doing this?

Hahaha oh wow. We all had to hand in our final drafts before Easter. We did WW1 Literature and it was THE largest drain on my life :unimpressed:

Also no one seems to be doing Measure for Measure and Duchess of Malfi for drama and i feel so lost :mad:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Kousar

Gahhhh. Revision, well can't say much there cause I havent even started and I find it hard to revise English. I don't do posters though. I just make notes, and I can't even get myself to do that sometimes. I was supposed to wake up at 9 in the morning today to revise but ended up waking up at 12. What is wrong with me, I can assure you I wasn't like this last year. That's why I came out with decent grades! *pulls hair out*

Don't stress as much, at least exams are later than last year. But make sure you get started soon.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending