Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahclose)
    how many poem quotes is everyone learning? And are you learning full poems, or just snippet quotes?

I have learnt 7 full poems, and then 7 other snippet quotes from other poems.
    The poems i have learnt are:
    Innocence:
    Spring,
    Holy Thursday,
    The Ecchoing Green

Experience:
    The Clod and the pebble
    Ah! Sun flower!
    Holy Thursday
    London
    A poison tree

I'm studying Blake's Song of Innocence and Experience for poetry, and The Tempest and Doctor Faustus for the play!!

Currently i'm dreading the play D:
    I just learn little quotes from Blake along with analysis so I don't have to think too hard in the exam if I'm lucky. I learn the structure and form though as it makes it seem that I've learned the entire poem. I think it's good to know the entire poem but there's no use if there's nothing to write about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roshniroxy)
    That's awesome ! What poems have you learnt ?
    Fully I know: The Lily, The Sick Rose, Tyger, The Lamb, The Chimney Sweeper, The Divine Image, Little Lost Boy/ Found, Echoing Green, Little Black Boy.

Bits and pieces: The Schoolboy, A Divine Image, Holy Thursday, The Poison Tree.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm totally freaking out about this exam ! I need an A* to get into my firm choice and the only possible A* i can get is in English :/

I'm just so nervous

I'm doing the revenger's tragedy and Hamlet and Blake's 'Song's of Innocence and of Experience'
    I found these A0s list from last years thread and I have found them SO USEFUL. I stick to them when completing past papers and usually come out with high Bs or As. (To the person who originally posted them, sorry I can't credit you)
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx English Help with revision and AOs.docx (14.7 KB, 210 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm doing The Revenger's Tragedy and Hamlet too aswell as Blake too. Try your best to fulfill all of the A0s, to the highest standard, would be my advice. Hope good questions come up on Thurs! Anyway, regarding Blake, any tips for the unseen poetry? Haven't done much revision for that in class, and feel I don't know it well enough. And yeah by the way, it;s better to learn less poems in more detail, because in the exam you only have to analyse 2/3 in detail, and make reference to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_axo)
    Fully I know: The Lily, The Sick Rose, Tyger, The Lamb, The Chimney Sweeper, The Divine Image, Little Lost Boy/ Found, Echoing Green, Little Black Boy.

Bits and pieces: The Schoolboy, A Divine Image, Holy Thursday, The Poison Tree.
    I only fully know London, The Chimney Sweeper (Exp), Holy Thursday (Exp) and Tiger

I after various chanting sessions in school know the sick rose and can quote from infant joy and the lamb and the shepherd however don't know their analysis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_axo)
    I found these A0s list from last years thread and I have found them SO USEFUL. I stick to them when completing past papers and usually come out with high Bs or As. (To the person who originally posted them, sorry I can't credit you)
    Thank you for this !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saima12345)
    Hey guys, I'm doing The Revenger's Tragedy and Hamlet too aswell as Blake too. Try your best to fulfill all of the A0s, to the highest standard, would be my advice. Hope good questions come up on Thurs! Anyway, regarding Blake, any tips for the unseen poetry? Haven't done much revision for that in class, and feel I don't know it well enough. And yeah by the way, it;s better to learn less poems in more detail, because in the exam you only have to analyse 2/3 in detail, and make reference to others.
    with unseen poetry you don't need in depth analysis, just pick up a metaphor or repetition and point that out, I have a rule that i have to analyse the unseen poetry after each paragraph so my first paragraph won't mention any links to the unseen but my second will but then my third won't again. When talking about the unseen a couple of sentences linking to the theme of question and the theme of your argument in that paragraph would help.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for this !
    That's ok. I hope you find it useful. i'm sure the analysis will come to you in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_axo)
    That's ok. I hope you find it useful. i'm sure the analysis will come to you in the exam
    It was, my handwriting is very terrible so that's another thing that is worrying as my teachers keep complaining about it and how they're worried i'll lose marks because the examiner won't be able to read my work lol !

ReputationRep:
    It was, my handwriting is very terrible so that's another thing that is worrying as my teachers keep complaining about it and how they're worried i'll lose marks because the examiner won't be able to read my work lol !
    Oh my god. My teachers ALSO complained of this HOWEVER I have experimented with so many pens and found fineliners are my jam. Pop in to your local stationary shop and buy a few; they seriously make it look so much neater.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_axo)
    Oh my god. My teachers ALSO complained of this HOWEVER I have experimented with so many pens and found fineliners are my jam. Pop in to your local stationary shop and buy a few; they seriously make it look so much neater.
    fine liners make my handwriting worse, i can only literally cope with the staedtler stick pens lol !

ReputationRep:
    Blake is INFINITELY more interesting (and probably an easier essay to write) than Measure/Malfi, I swear I've barely learnt anything for Malfi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selym95)
    Does anyone have any useful/key revenge tragedy quotes?
    Rex Gibson in 'Shakespearean and Jacobean Tragedy, Cambridge Contexts in Literature' identifies 7 major characteristics of Jacobean/revenge tragedy, these include:

Revenge:
    A character plans revenge for wrongs committed. The play charts how various quests for vengeance result in violent deaths. Disguise, plots and counterplots are common as revengers seeks to achieve vengeance.

Brutal and wicked behaviour:
    The plays portray unpleasant and vicious aspects of humanity.

The corrupt society of Renaissance Italy and Spain:
    The plays are usually set in a decadent and vice-ridden foreign court, full of self-seekers and machiavellian political intrigue.

Religious and moral hypocrisy:
    The plays present both priests and relgious people as insincere and deceitful. Plays are often anti-Catholic (Jacobean England was a Protestant country) and strip away the outward appearance of religious honesty, revealing a diseased and dissolute reality beneath.

The Malcontent

Notable portrays of women:
    Sensual and confident women inhabit male-dominated worlds seeking to control their own lives. But most end as victims - blamed and distrusted by male characters.

Language:
    - Sardonic, sombre tone
    - Vivid imagery expresses play's relish for corruption, sexual passion, disease, decay and death.

Hope you find this useful. Which plays are you studying btw?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Wordsworth and Coleridge's lyrical ballads and the tempest and dr Faustus. I feel especially unprepared for the tempest and Faustus, any help would be greatly appreciated! Need an A in this exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kjames)
    Rex Gibson in 'Shakespearean and Jacobean Tragedy, Cambridge Contexts in Literature' identifies 7 major characteristics of Jacobean/revenge tragedy, these include:

Revenge:
    A character plans revenge for wrongs committed. The play charts how various quests for vengeance result in violent deaths. Disguise, plots and counterplots are common as revengers seeks to achieve vengeance.

Brutal and wicked behaviour:
    The plays portray unpleasant and vicious aspects of humanity.

The corrupt society of Renaissance Italy and Spain:
    The plays are usually set in a decadent and vice-ridden foreign court, full of self-seekers and machiavellian political intrigue.

Religious and moral hypocrisy:
    The plays present both priests and relgious people as insincere and deceitful. Plays are often anti-Catholic (Jacobean England was a Protestant country) and strip away the outward appearance of religious honesty, revealing a diseased and dissolute reality beneath.

The Malcontent

Notable portrays of women:
    Sensual and confident women inhabit male-dominated worlds seeking to control their own lives. But most end as victims - blamed and distrusted by male characters.

Language:
    - Sardonic, sombre tone
    - Vivid imagery expresses play's relish for corruption, sexual passion, disease, decay and death.

Hope you find this useful. Which plays are you studying btw?
    Great, thanks! I'm studying Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy. Also, using Blake for the poetry aspect. Just practising past questions and learning a few quotes at the moment. Need to read up on context for Hamlet/Revenger's tragedy though - I have no idea what to write about. Are you sitting this exam?

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks! I'm studying Hamlet and The Revenger's Tragedy. Also, using Blake for the poetry aspect. Just practising past questions and learning a few quotes at the moment. Need to read up on context for Hamlet/Revenger's tragedy though - I have no idea what to write about. Are you sitting this exam?
    Context would be how it's in a foreign court to deflect away any criticism directed to the english court, king james I reign was under which corruption flourished etc. subservience of women how they were to blame for the Fall of Man

ReputationRep:
    Context would be how it's in a foreign court to deflect away any criticism directed to the english court, king james I reign was under which corruption flourished etc. subservience of women how they were to blame for the Fall of Man
    Ha-ha, optimistic as usual! Ah, my teacher really emphasised how we should not look to much into context as Literature isn't history. Have you looked much into context? This is why it's a relief to study the sciences: there is so much less ambiguity/arbitrariness.

ReputationRep:
    Ha-ha, optimistic as usual! Ah, my teacher really emphasised how we should not look to much into context as Literature isn't history. Have you looked much into context? This is why it's a relief to study the sciences: there is so much less ambiguity/arbitrariness.
    Context makes up 10 marks which is 1/4 of your total marks for each essay so you need a fair amount. Sorry if that freaks you out!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by HistoryGal)
    Context makes up 10 marks which is 1/4 of your total marks for each essay so you need a fair amount. Sorry if that freaks you out!
    I definitely know more context for the poetry section which is Blake for me, however HistoryGal is write to say how important it is, as a rule i always try to mention context in every other paragraph but usually it's do-able as all they do i complain about women or discuss revenge both which can be linked to religion and social practices of the time

ReputationRep:
    Dear lord help me
    I have a History exam tomorrow that i'm unprepared for and then on the 6th I have this exam which i have no clue about. Just FML.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.