Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Any idea what could be wrong with my car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, over the last day or so, ive noticed that my car wont start first time. You can hear it trying to start, but it doesnt, and it takes 2 or 3 attempts for it to start. It happened on sunday morning but i thought it was a 1 off, but over the last day or so its started happening all the time.
    Everything else about the car is fine, once its started it runs fine, everythings as normal, no warning lights etc.
    Im going to take it to my local garage on saturday morning (im at work tomorrow), but in the meantime does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong?

(By the way, my car is a 2006 hyundai getz)

ReputationRep:
    What happens when you turn the key? Describe what happens

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InconspicuousGuy)
    What happens when you turn the key? Describe what happens

Its turning over, just like it normally does when it starts. But its just not starting.

ReputationRep:
    Is the starter motor cranking but just not firing up?

ReputationRep:
    Cold mornings at the moment so could be your battery.
    If not, starter motor perhaps. Have you had a long run in your car lately?

ReputationRep:
    Is the starter motor cranking but just not firing up?

Pretty much, yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Né Stig)
    Cold mornings at the moment so could be your battery.
    If not, starter motor perhaps. Have you had a long run in your car lately?
    Ive had quite a few long runs in my car lately. Plus the fact that i have a 30 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. My battery seems fine so i dont think its that.

ReputationRep:
    Battery would be my guess; get somebody else's car that works and run some jump leads between their battery and yours, fire their car up and if yours turns over with no issues it's the battery

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Ive had quite a few long runs in my car lately. Plus the fact that i have a 30 mile round trip to work 5 days a week. My battery seems fine so i dont think its that.
    It's that your battery isn't holding the charge that's the problem; whilst its running this isn't an issue as its generating charge for the battery. When you turn off the car and park it up for a bit the battery is not holding the charge it's generated this it has issues when you come to use it the following day.

ReputationRep:
    It's that your battery isn't holding the charge that's the problem; whilst its running this isn't an issue as its generating charge for the battery. When you turn off the car and park it up for a bit the battery is not holding the charge it's generated this it has issues when you come to use it the following day.

The cars turning over though, its just not firing up. I may be wrong, but if it was the battery, surely it wouldnt turn over in the first place?
    Although i dont really know about the mechanics of cars, ive had the nursery minibus refuse to start in the middle of the nearby town before because of the battery, and it doesnt seem anything like when that happened.

ReputationRep:
    Does it sound like the sound on this video?

http://youtu.be/bHAaZKqoE9E

ReputationRep:
    Does it sound like the sound on this video?

http://youtu.be/bHAaZKqoE9E

No, nothing like that.
    Its turning over like normal, just not starting. And it starts after 2/3 attempts.

ReputationRep:
    The cars turning over though, its just not firing up. I may be wrong, but if it was the battery, surely it wouldnt turn over in the first place? .
    It would only fail to turn over if the battery was completely flat due to some sort of battery drain or being left standing for a very long time. A battery that's on its last legs may still be able to turn the engine over, but because it's knackered it's going to struggle regardless of how many long runs you've been doing.

ReputationRep:
    If it only happens in the morning, it's cause it's not coping with the cold well. I'm guessing you don't have the problem when you're leaving work to go home.

You'll just have to wait for the mechanic to diagnose.

ReputationRep:
    is the car a petrol or diesel?

sounds like the glow plugs if its a diesel

Battery is probably fine if the starter motor is cranking at normal speed, don't know what people are talking about there or why OP is being led around in circles about it.

Wait for the mechanic to diagnose but it's probably going to either be ignition-related (spark/glow plugs, ignition coil, distributor cap, etc) or fuel pump/supply related.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah all this talk of battery stuff is obviously wrong.

Sounds like a standard cold start issue. Think of the 'fire triangle': fuel+oxygen+heat.

No heat means more difficult to combust. After a few turns, it gets a bit warmer and starts. That's why it sometimes takes a few goes.

If the car starts fine at other times of the day (i.e not morning) then yeah it's just the cold.

If the issue happens regardless of temperature, then it's a carburettor issue and you'll need a mechanic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, nothing like that.
    Its turning over like normal, just not starting. And it starts after 2/3 attempts.

Engine failure , possibly cracked head.

Source: Certified vehicle technician

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard Dicko)
    Engine failure , possibly cracked head.

Source: Certified vehicle technician
    A certified vehicle technician is really asking if 40.5mpg is good for a decade old Megane in another thread? Right.

To the OP, if it's cranking but not firing, then I'd say either spark or ECU issue, depending on the age of the car. It might just need new plugs/leads or a cable reseating. Could range from quick and easy to being a bit more tricky, again dependant on a few other things like if it's only when cold, or whenever you start the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    A certified vehicle technician is really asking if 40.5mpg is good for a decade old Megane in another thread? Right.

To the OP, if it's cranking but not firing, then I'd say either spark or ECU issue, depending on the age of the car. It might just need new plugs/leads or a cable reseating. Could range from quick and easy to being a bit more tricky, again dependant on a few other things like if it's only when cold, or whenever you start the car.

Whatever, do you think it is okay though, 40.5 mpg for combined motorway and urban driving?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.