Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Which subject should I do an AS Level in? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if I'm in the right section here, but you'll have to forgive me as I'm relatively new around here.

Anyway, I've got to pick my fourth A Level option by tomorrow. It's intimidating, but I've had months and months to decide. I just can't!

I'm certain I'm taking English Literature, History and Philosophy/RS. I love writing essays and having to think about things. I love ethical issues, figuring out people, stories and understanding of society and all that kind of thing. English is easily my best subject, it's always been my thing and I want to be a journalist focusing on crime, music or current affairs, and maybe even write some books. My ideal back-up job would be a therapist for people suffering mental disorders, but my school doesn't offer psychology or sociology and there is absolutely nowhere else for me to go for sixth form, I live in the middle of nowhere!

I'm stuck between drama, art and geography. I currently take all three at GCSE.

I enjoy drama and making up scenes with my friends, however I am naturally quite shy and struggle to memorise lines, I just can't do memorising big chunks of words. I can act okay, but I'm nothing special when it comes to drama. Months before the performances I feel sick and dizzy with fear at the thought of having to get up and perform, I'm terrified for my GCSE performance in May. As much as I enjoy lesson time and excel in the essay side of drama, I don't know if I could cope with all that stress.

I love art and I find it hugely relaxing amongst the stress of other subjects. I'm fairly good at art, maybe a B grade standard, nothing major but I can do it just fine and my drawings usually turn out good. I also like photography. However I heard the workload for art is huge and considering I see it as more of a hobby than something I take seriously, I don't know whether I want to risk it overshadowing other subjects. I don't plan to take it further in life so I don't know if I'd be wasting my time and it'd be unnecessary stress.

Geography is mixed. I adore the human side of it, I find it easy and interesting and can write the essays on it well. However, the physical side is my downfall. I find all that stuff about rivers and volcanoes absolutely excruciating it's just so boring! However, if I knuckle down and focus during it I can normally get it to go in, even though it doesn't come as naturally to me. I'm also concerned how much maths would be involved in geography, because without a doubt maths is my biggest weakness, numbers make my head hurt! I'm trying to get away from them as much as possible in my A Levels.

I get As in Geography and Bs in art and drama.
    So I need to pick one of those three, I've evaluated the others and these are the only three that don't sound awful. I'll take this subject to AS, and unless it turns out I love the course, I'll probably drop it then.

What do you think would be my best call? Thanks for your help in advance :-)

ReputationRep:
    I think geography would be the best choice as it's the most respected and I hear art is a lot of work! It's up to you though you're other three choices are all academic so just pick the one you think you'll enjoy most

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I take English Lit, History and Psychology at A2 and dropped Biology at AS. If I were you I would go for the subject you enjoy the most, also take into consideration the workload; I took Biology as a way to avoid doing 4 essay subjects, and I know that friends doing drama still have a lot of written work. I also have friends taking art and they also get given a lot of stuff to do, however I know someone who does History, English and Art and they seem to be coping okay with it. Also, depending on the exam board there doesn't seem to be too much maths involved in Geography. (at my school anyway, from talking to friends)

Even if you decide now, there is usually the option of swapping subjects in the first couple of weeks of 6th form/college if you decide you don't like the subject, so don't worry too much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudiaizzy)
    I don't know if I'm in the right section here, but you'll have to forgive me as I'm relatively new around here.

Anyway, I've got to pick my fourth A Level option by tomorrow. It's intimidating, but I've had months and months to decide. I just can't!

I'm certain I'm taking English Literature, History and Philosophy/RS. I love writing essays and having to think about things. I love ethical issues, figuring out people, stories and understanding of society and all that kind of thing. English is easily my best subject, it's always been my thing and I want to be a journalist focusing on crime, music or current affairs, and maybe even write some books. My ideal back-up job would be a therapist for people suffering mental disorders, but my school doesn't offer psychology or sociology and there is absolutely nowhere else for me to go for sixth form, I live in the middle of nowhere!

I'm stuck between drama, art and geography. I currently take all three at GCSE.

I enjoy drama and making up scenes with my friends, however I am naturally quite shy and struggle to memorise lines, I just can't do memorising big chunks of words. I can act okay, but I'm nothing special when it comes to drama. Months before the performances I feel sick and dizzy with fear at the thought of having to get up and perform, I'm terrified for my GCSE performance in May. As much as I enjoy lesson time and excel in the essay side of drama, I don't know if I could cope with all that stress.

I love art and I find it hugely relaxing amongst the stress of other subjects. I'm fairly good at art, maybe a B grade standard, nothing major but I can do it just fine and my drawings usually turn out good. I also like photography. However I heard the workload for art is huge and considering I see it as more of a hobby than something I take seriously, I don't know whether I want to risk it overshadowing other subjects. I don't plan to take it further in life so I don't know if I'd be wasting my time and it'd be unnecessary stress.

Geography is mixed. I adore the human side of it, I find it easy and interesting and can write the essays on it well. However, the physical side is my downfall. I find all that stuff about rivers and volcanoes absolutely excruciating it's just so boring! However, if I knuckle down and focus during it I can normally get it to go in, even though it doesn't come as naturally to me. I'm also concerned how much maths would be involved in geography, because without a doubt maths is my biggest weakness, numbers make my head hurt! I'm trying to get away from them as much as possible in my A Levels.

I get As in Geography and Bs in art and drama.
    So I need to pick one of those three, I've evaluated the others and these are the only three that don't sound awful. I'll take this subject to AS, and unless it turns out I love the course, I'll probably drop it then.

What do you think would be my best call? Thanks for your help in advance :-)
    Id definitely recommend geography. I did it at a-level and loved it. I found it one of my easier a-level subjects. I wouldnt worry about there being a lot of maths in a-level geography. I found that there was hardly any maths in it (if any). Its also a respected subject.
    The only other subject i can think of is history. From what ive heard its essay based etc. And from what you have said in your post, history seems the sort of subject you might find interesting. Its also quite a respected subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say geography its well respected and fairly easy but if you like human geography, think about economics, it is human geography just with diagrams and at a level maths isn't needed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Geography, firstly why would you take a AS in something that makes you sick! (drama) Secondly, Why take subjects you could struggle with, take the one you are best out. Thirdly if you do not have a passion for art, DO NOT take it because you need to be creative as well as practical. I am also picking my AS- Maths, Bio, Classic Civ, Art and a EPQ! I chose art because I will be reading Architecture at uni, I got an A* in my coursework(nearly perfect score) and am predicted A* overall. I just received an Art Scholarship to a competitive private sixth form and simply because I am enthralled by the subject. I am also predicted all A* in my IGCSE (apart from an A in french) so I will 97% get an A* in Art A'level(my teacher say I am already work at that level) and A's or A*'s in the rest and definitely a A* in my EPQ, because I got pretty much full marks in my HPQ.... so yeah. FIND YOUR STRENGTHS.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.