The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Josephine Butler College

Hi,
so I've been accepted into Durham to study Theology, and I've been placed at the Josephine Butler College. It wasn't my preference, but I don't mind, because it's Durham! The only problem is, I don't know a lot about it (though will be visiting). I was just wondering from past/current students what it's like - mostly for music and theatre. What are the facilities like for both (I'm a big music and theatre person, and from what I've seen, it seems quite a sporty place!) Also, what are the university wide theatre productions like?
According to Google maps, it's about 17 mins walk from my department, are there buses running into the centre of Durham in case I don't want to walk one day?
Any general stuff about the college would be lovely. Thanks!
Original post by lucysarahvalerie
Hi,
so I've been accepted into Durham to study Theology, and I've been placed at the Josephine Butler College. It wasn't my preference, but I don't mind, because it's Durham! The only problem is, I don't know a lot about it (though will be visiting). I was just wondering from past/current students what it's like - mostly for music and theatre. What are the facilities like for both (I'm a big music and theatre person, and from what I've seen, it seems quite a sporty place!) Also, what are the university wide theatre productions like?
According to Google maps, it's about 17 mins walk from my department, are there buses running into the centre of Durham in case I don't want to walk one day?
Any general stuff about the college would be lovely. Thanks!

Can't tell you much about the college itself, but it's right next to a Park'n'Ride car park and bus service. http://www.durham.gov.uk/Pages/Service.aspx?ServiceId=1112 I think that can get you down into town.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Okay, so here's a chance to get to know one another ahead of October, anybody going to Butler fire away
Reply 3
Hey finally someone comments haha. I live in York so again not too far, I'm hopefully studying sport science. What's your offer??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hey! I'll hopefully be studying natural sciences next year. I live in Essex... A bit further away than you two!
Hey, I'm Robyn. I'm from Bristol and hopefully studying Geology!

If anyone is interested this group has been set up on facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/407535992692987/
Reply 6
Hi I'm Shangshang from China. I'm going to take Economics programme this Octobre!
Reply 7
GUYS!

Good luck to you today, and I really hope it's good news but we cannot wait to entertain you lot at Freshers!

I'm Taha, one of your Head Freps, and want to recommend you have a mosey on down to our Facebook group for you 2013 Freshlings. Any and all questions welcome, and no question is too daft!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/554425431285960?view=info&ref=bookmark&__user=615742311
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Hey Lucy,

There's a few people currently at Durham who didn't pick it, but believe me you'll be glad you're there now!

Music wise, we have open mic nights about every 3-4 weeks and also have various bands and stuff you can join (such as the Jazz Band, who performed a very entertaining Blues Brothers number near the end of term). Also, our Butler Live society gets live music from around the country and the best of Durham to play at Butler too (no big-hitters, more up and comers like the Marsicans and Michael Cassidy). There's also a music room that is free to book and practice in, along with instruments. (Being done up this year I think, joyous).

In terms of theatre, every term, the Society of Theatrical Arts at Butler (or STAB) put on a performance. A lot of the guys involved with this also take part in Durham Student Theatre which is by far the best way to hone your acting chops at Durham. My housemate is currently taking an original production to the Fringe, so you really get to immerse yourself fully in the experience.

General stuff about college: it's like a big community feel as all the accommodation is within spitting distance and the Bar is constantly in use, whether for the numerous charity events we put on, post formal entertainment or revision space. If you want more elucidation on these things, find our Facebook group (it's in the self-FAQs) and ask away!

Taha
Head Frep

Quick Reply

Latest