The Student Room Group

Changing Courses/ Universities!!

I'm currently In my first year at Uni and really unsure about my course! I'm seriously considering changing to a completely different course but that would mean changing Uni's and starting all over again.
Does anyone have any advice? I don't know if i've left it too late now and I have no idea where to start!
Help!
Reply 1
I would honestly say start over. If you're having doubts, and you've already been in uni this long, then change courses to something you ACTUALLY want to do.
I know a good few people that have dropped out first year due to not enjoying their course, not liking the uni etc.
Yes you have left it quite late this year, so that you couldn't really apply for uni now - but do call up a few uni's if you have an idea of what you want to change your course to.

I wish you the best of luck, & hope you make the right decision! :smile:
What is it in particular that you dislike about your course? Have you felt this way for a while? It's important to consider these questions if you're thinking of changing courses or dropping out, because you may end up regretting it and wasting time and money. Your happiness is very important however, so if you don't feel fulfilled doing the course it's not too late to do something about it - student finance covers "false starts" if people have a change of heart or don't perform as well as they would like etc.
First things first - you have lots of time still. As a transfer/restarting student then most universities will happily consider you as a late applicant.

Secondly - if you're seriously thinking about it then I'd suggest your first port of call should be to talk to *someone* in your current uni/dept. This could be your tutor, head of year or just one of the lecturers that you get along with. Explain why you're not happy and what you'd like to change to fix that. If you can't convince them then you'll struggle to convince your new uni, and if you can convince them then they'll be able to help you pull together info about your current course, put together your application and provide you with a good UCAS reference to recommend you to your new university. If your dept isn't very helpful then try talking to someone from your careers office or student union/guild. Again before you commit and contact other universities then you need to be clear in your head about what you want to do and able to articulate it clearly to someone else.

Thirdly - when you know what you want to study and where then start ringing them up (and follow up with emails) to ask if they're able to consider your application. Be very clear on whether you want to transfer into yr 2 or start again from scratch when you speak to new universities to avoid any confusion.

Forthly - once you've got positive murmerings from new universities - submit your UCAS and wait for offers (hopefully by testing the water first an offer will be almost guaranteed).

Fifthly - once you're sure you're going elsewhere talk to your current uni about getting your first year exams certificated, arrange accommodation at the new uni and make sure student finance know what's happening.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending