Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Any examiners here: Eng Lit "A" AS coursework Watch

ReputationRep:
    My daughter is doing a 1-year English Lit A-level correspondence course with Oxford College. She needs a "B" to meet her Uni offers.

One of her two AS coursework questions was "To what extent does RC Sherriff's play "Journey's End" conform to the conventions of tragedy?". This has been marked as a "C"; however AQA have provided specific feedback to the college where she sat her exam (and submitted her coursework) that:

• Assignments were appropriate to the requirements in the specification: "NO"

• All assessment objectives were appropriately covered: "NO"

• "The set drama task only deals with one WW1 text, "Journey's End" so the set task is unsuitable for Specification A, in which the drama essay is comparative and thus AO3 is worth 15/30."

• The specification requirements were correctly interpreted: "NO"

AQA also add that - due to the inappropriate task and the fact that the specification requirements have been misinterpreted - a centre (i.e. college) representative "must complete the AQA standardisation training".

A coursework resit is therefore in order, but Oxford College maintain there is nothing wrong with the question (stating that many students have used the question and scored high marks for coursework) and refuse to set a different one or discuss it with AQA.

• If you are doing the same course, what was your coursework question?

• Or if you are an English Literature A-level Examiner, how relevant do you think the question is?

Thanks in advance
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by older & wiser)
    "To what extent does RC Sherriff's play "Journey's End" conform to the conventions of tragedy?"

• "The set drama task only deals with one WW1 text, "Journey's End" so the set task is unsuitable for Specification A, in which the drama essay is comparative and thus AO3 is worth 15/30."

A coursework resit is therefore in order, but Oxford College maintain there is nothing wrong with the question (stating that many students have used the question and scored high marks for coursework) and refuse to set a different one or discuss it with AQA.

• If you are doing the same course, what was your coursework question?

• Or if you are an English Literature A-level Examiner, how relevant do you think the question is?

Thanks in advance

Hello there :wavey:

I'm not sure I understand you entirely. Correct me if this is wrong:

- Your daughter handed in her coursework and received a C.

- The AQA invigilator felt that Oxford college, where your daughter attends, failed because they did not offer comparable texts, making the A band impossible to reach.

- The college are being penalised for this, but no extra support or mitigating circumstances have been offered to the students.

It sounds to me like the top band required the students to discuss other texts in relation to Journey's End. As your daughter's college studied no other texts, they're being held accountable. The college will have to provide the resit costs on behalf of students looking to do so, though they will have to do it in November as far as I'm aware.

On the question it seems fairly appropriate to me personally. There's alot to say about the play and its relation to Tragedy, it's an almost textbook Aristotelian tragedy. I think that if doing the November retake, your daughter should focus on including a discussion of this to really boost her marks up.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.