Are speed/red light camera flashes obvious? Watch

This discussion is closed.
HannahClaire124
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Question in the title really! Would you spot a PEEK camera flashing the day, just after sunrise at about 7:15 am when the weather was sunny, if you weren't looking in your mirrors at the time?

I've already posted about this (this version is amended since returning to the scene twice on route to uni) but to cut a long story short ,would have been travelling between 40-60mph on a dual carriageway at about 7:15am, was approaching some traffic lights, must have been about 40-50m from them and the lights went to amber from green, stupidly I carried on, I didn't think it was safe to stop. I'm pretty sure I crossed the lights on amber, I think they then changed when I entered the intersection to red. I never saw a flash but then again I wasn't looking in my mirrors at the time, would I have noticed it anyway?! I can't see myself taking a risk with light knowing there was a camera, I think I would have stopped had I known there was no chance of making it! But I'm doubting myself now, it's all I'm thinking about all the time!

Absolutely ****ting this, I'm paranoid and expecting a NIP any day! Has anyone had one? How long did it take to come? If I have been caught, what would the penalty be? 3 points and £60 fine, could it be more?

Thanks in advance!
Michaelj
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Are you sure it was a TL camera and not a camera to check the flow of traffic? A lot of people get them mixed up and get paranoid for no reason. (yes, I was guilty).

I've never been flashed but friends told me that it's obvious if you've been flashed, even in daylight.

And yes, 3 points and £60 fine or you could be allowed to do an awareness course. (so i've been told) Should arrive within 2 weeks, if it doesn't then breathe and relax.
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think I just posted on your other thread, but yes you will notice. The flash is a bright white light, like a lightning flash, and you'll see it.
CathyS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I literally had the same problem today, but from what I've heard, actual red light cameras aren't incredibly common, and the camera on top of the traffic lights isn't to check people running red lights, it's to monitor traffic.
KCLeblanc
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There are various different types of speed camera in in use in the UK. The most common Gatso cameras have visible flashes. Some of the other types do not.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/speed-camera-types.htm
HannahClaire124
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by CathyS)
I literally had the same problem today, but from what I've heard, actual red light cameras aren't incredibly common, and the camera on top of the traffic lights isn't to check people running red lights, it's to monitor traffic.
Mine was definitely a red light camera, a big yellow thing a pole! :\ It's been 8 days now though, just got to wait it out another 6, the wait is killing me!
RibenaRockstar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HannahClaire124)
Question in the title really! Would you spot a PEEK camera flashing the day, just after sunrise at about 7:15 am when the weather was sunny, if you weren't looking in your mirrors at the time?

I've already posted about this (this version is amended since returning to the scene twice on route to uni) but to cut a long story short ,would have been travelling between 40-60mph on a dual carriageway at about 7:15am, was approaching some traffic lights, must have been about 40-50m from them and the lights went to amber from green, stupidly I carried on, I didn't think it was safe to stop. I'm pretty sure I crossed the lights on amber, I think they then changed when I entered the intersection to red. I never saw a flash but then again I wasn't looking in my mirrors at the time, would I have noticed it anyway?! I can't see myself taking a risk with light knowing there was a camera, I think I would have stopped had I known there was no chance of making it! But I'm doubting myself now, it's all I'm thinking about all the time!

Absolutely ****ting this, I'm paranoid and expecting a NIP any day! Has anyone had one? How long did it take to come? If I have been caught, what would the penalty be? 3 points and £60 fine, could it be more?

Thanks in advance!
If you do get a penalty from it and you're sure it wasn't safe to stop, you might be able to appeal it and get the penalty shifted to the driver behind you
Midwife1294
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Whenever I've had a NIP (had two), they've arrived pretty quickly within a week, so you might be ok! Don't hold me to it if you're not though! Good luck! And careful driving from now on!
CathyS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HannahClaire124)
Mine was definitely a red light camera, a big yellow thing a pole! :\ It's been 8 days now though, just got to wait it out another 6, the wait is killing me!
ah no fingers crossed for no letter in the next 6 days in that case!
turen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Question i really feel stupid yesterday i pass through this traffic light. that was flashing but it turn red before i cross the line i could not manage to break because of the car behind me there was no flash i am is that the camera in the picture is red light camera. if anyone can help will be appreciated. many thank
shaymarriott
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by turen)
Question i really feel stupid yesterday i pass through this traffic light. that was flashing but it turn red before i cross the line i could not manage to break because of the car behind me there was no flash i am is that the camera in the picture is red light camera. if anyone can help will be appreciated. many thank
Generally after the light flashes Amber it goes Green, not Red. No idea about the camera.
WSH1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CathyS)
Those things on top of the lights aren't cameras, they are sensors.

And they are used to monitor traffic flow.
Amalik97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its was a free road i was going at 30mph but as soon as i pass the traffic light it turned amber and by the time i got to the middle it turned red and im sure it was a traffic speed camera so stressed
WSH1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Amalik97)
Its was a free road i was going at 30mph but as soon as i pass the traffic light it turned amber and by the time i got to the middle it turned red and im sure it was a traffic speed camera so stressed
I'm not sure what to say, those things shown in the photo above are certainly cameras and NOT sensors (traffic flow sensors are the smaller square things with a flat front panel - they look like this )

What is visible in that image is certainly a camera (or three!), question is are they dud units or active, if active are they for speed enforcement, purely for the HWA to monitor traffic or are they RL Cameras too?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, but my gut feeling says it's not a red light camera, even if it is they usually give you a second or two grace period on the lights (in case the back end of your car trips the live sensor buried in the road as the rear part of your car passes over it).

EDIT:-

The thinner and longer two cameras at the bottom to me look like a form of Speedspike camera, which are used for monitoring of speed.

The one above looks as if it may be a Vector camera, which CAN be used for red light enforcement amongst other things (there's two of the Vector cameras fitted with in a mile of me unfortunately - only been fitted within the last few months), but it's hard to tell from the angle.
Amalik97
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
this is how it looks like this click on the link it was on this exact location
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.89...7i13312!8i6656
Joeey009
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by WSH1995)
I'm not sure what to say, those things shown in the photo above are certainly cameras and NOT sensors (traffic flow sensors are the smaller square things with a flat front panel - they look like this )

What is visible in that image is certainly a camera (or three!), question is are they dud units or active, if active are they for speed enforcement, purely for the HWA to monitor traffic or are they RL Cameras too?

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure, but my gut feeling says it's not a red light camera, even if it is they usually give you a second or two grace period on the lights (in case the back end of your car trips the live sensor buried in the road as the rear part of your car passes over it).

EDIT:-

The thinner and longer two cameras at the bottom to me look like a form of Speedspike camera, which are used for monitoring of speed.

The one above looks as if it may be a Vector camera, which CAN be used for red light enforcement amongst other things (there's two of the Vector cameras fitted with in a mile of me unfortunately - only been fitted within the last few months), but it's hard to tell from the angle.
Thats not a red light camera or speed camera.
WSH1995
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Joeey009)
Thats not a red light camera or speed camera.
Which, the one in the photo I provided?

If so, I'm aware of that, that's the point I was making to the discussion, the one in the photo I provided is a traffic (in this case pedestrian) monitoring sensor.

I was referring to the original photograph when talking about the red light cameras (it could possibly be used as one if it is a Vector camera).
BB2001
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, could someone please tell me if this is a camera or a sensor? Have been trying to work out for some time

Many thanks
Chels90
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I accidentally went through a ref light lastnigjt, I was so tired after my 15 hour shift in work and it was late, I didn't pay much attention and thought the lights went from red to green but they didn't and I went through, there was a big silver camera there but it didn't flash, does that still mean I will
Get caught?
l'etranger
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Very few red lights have cameras :cool:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (35)
38.89%
I really love the subject (24)
26.67%
I don't know what else to do (12)
13.33%
I can't get a job (5)
5.56%
My parents want me to (2)
2.22%