Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Should the away goals rule be scrapped? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the away goals rule be scrapped?
    Yes
    40.68%
    No
    59.32%

ReputationRep:
    What do you think people? :yy:

EDIT: Don't know why I'm getting negged for asking a question but overall I actually think it should stay as otherwise if two teams are tied on aggregate then one will get to play another 30 mins at home but maybe just before extra time however at the same time you could say how many goals a team concedes should be taken into account too, so yeah what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    It should only apply before 90 minutes. It would be unfair, as it is on Inter tonight, if the away side get half an hour more to score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Musester)
    It should only apply before 90 minutes. It would be unfair, as it is on Inter tonight, if the away side get half an hour more to score.

But Inter got and extra 30 minutes at home to play, it's not unfair.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just saying in general, is it really that much of an achievement to score more away goals which end up being the deciding factor in a knockout tie?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exodus)
    But Inter got and extra 30 minutes at home to play, it's not unfair.
    But they had to score more than Spurs to go through, Spurs basically had two hours of away football to score just one goal to get them through.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the fence as to whether away goals should count extra during extra time, but in normal time I think it's the best option to encourage the away team to have a go. The home team will have a go anyway because that's when they're most likely to score.

ReputationRep:
    Nope away goals is fine to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts exactly.

Agree with the second poster. Away goals add extra intrigue to the tie. A 2 legger can never be fully neutral, but having to play an extra half hour away from home is nowhere near as disadvantageous as having to score twice in 30 mins. Keep away goals, except in ET.

ReputationRep:
    They're fair. Everyone knows where they stand before the kick off.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I definately agree.

Both teams get 90 mins to get an away goal and this is fair. The away team in extra time only needs 1 goal basically to seal the tie which doesn't exactly seem fair, especially when everyone's tired. And for the people who'll say the home teams gets they're fan etc, as Gigi Buffons said, fans don't score goals.

I was disappointed to see Inter go out tonight after such an effort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. It's still relevant simply because...

- You still have to travel,
    - There's still different pitch sizes,
    - The fans still get to some players,
    - Psychological advantage does make a big difference,
    - You still stay away from home that night or possibly the night before.

ReputationRep:
    I tell you what should be scrapped - stoppage time. It's a load of nonsense. It's arbitrary an pointless. There should be an independent timekeeper who just sounds a horn or instructs the ref to blow the whistle at 90mins - the timekeeper stops the clock for unusual events - but things like injuries can be treated on the pitch like they are in rugby, unless they're in the penalty area.

The ball is only in play for an average of 60 mins anyway, so adding 2-5 minutes at the end is pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. We've gone out a few times on away goals and its frustrating but at the end of the day, it's a traditional part of the European game. It makes knockout ties more interesting because there's more factors to consider, which influences how teams go about playing etc.

ReputationRep:
    No it shouldn't but I think they should only count up until the end of 90 minutes in the second leg. A situation like in the Spurs game shouldn't be allowed, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    No point in a double leg then...

ReputationRep:
    Spurs lose 4-1 up at Inter Milan and still manage to go through. The away goal rule strikes again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Nalbandian14)
    Spurs lose 4-1 up at Inter Milan and still manage to go through. The away goal rule strikes again!
    To be fair, Inter got hammered at WHL too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    To be fair, Inter got hammered at WHL too.
    Yep, definitely. Spurs outplayed them at WHL, didn't expect Inter to go through after that but was shocking how they managed to get 3 back only for it to be ruined when spurs scored.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.