Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Why don't they ever stop the clock during stoppages in Football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's something that I never understood really, I mean they do it in Rugby

ReputationRep:
    Two systems, stop clock or extra time. I think extra time makes it a bit more dramatic and possibly controversial tbh.

The story about how extra game came about in football is a gem too.

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that the ball is only in play for about 63 minutes in the average match - in other words, matches should have 27 minutes of added time. So added time is never even close to accurate and the referee is basically just guessing.

ReputationRep:
    Stoppage time is stupid. There is almost always more time at the end of the 2nd half for some unknown reason, the time added is normally adversely affected by the ref's judgement and the amount added bears no resemblance to the actual time taken for "stoppages".

ReputationRep:
    Makes you wonder why they don't just extend the game to 95 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Stoppage time is stupid. There is almost always more time at the end of the 2nd half for some unknown reason, the time added is normally adversely affected by the ref's judgement and the amount added bears no resemblance to the actual time taken for "stoppages".
    There is more added time for the second half because there is usually 6 subs in the 2nd half and 0 in the first. The system is definitely very imperfect though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    There is more added time for the second half because there is usually 6 subs in the 2nd half and 0 in the first. The system is definitely very imperfect though
    A sub takes a 10-15 seconds on average, takes place during a break in the game anyway, and even if there are 6 subs, several of them might take place at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Because referees are god-like, never making mistakes (at least, according to the rule makers), so they can easily manage the simple task of pretending to count the time in their head then guess a number between 1 and 5.

ReputationRep:
    With the amount of time keepers waste to take a goal kick, free kicks, throw ins, wasting time complaining to the ref and subs walking off the pitch I would prefer the 'Stop the clock' system. Extra time never really seems accurate.
    Extra time is more dramatic I guess and helps to add any controversy.

I think stoppage time is to help with keeping the game from going on really long too, to the benefit of television stations and public transport/policing services.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    A sub takes a 10-15 seconds on average, takes place during a break in the game anyway, and even if there are 6 subs, several of them might take place at the same time.
    They take longer than 10-15 seconds, you will get at least 3 mins of subs in the 2nd half of near enough any game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    I think stoppage time is to help with keeping the game from going on really long too, to the benefit of television stations and public transport/policing services.
    I think that's true. Unless we moved to 60 minutes instead of 90, doing the time properly would mess up people's viewing habits. Handegg goes on for too long, for example, though perhaps not the best example because they deliberately make time for ad breaks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.