The Student Room Group

Facebook keeps suggesting I'm gay!

I don't know why Facebook thinks that this is remotely appropriate when my interests say 'Women' but I've now had 2 'Suggested Pages' associated with homosexuals. One had the picture 'I LOVE being gay' on and another was for 'Straight Broke Boys' and funnily enough was full of topless men! I don't understand why I am getting these and as much as I shouldn't be annoyed by them, I am. I'm not gay and Facebook doesn't seem to understand! The 'Suggested Pages' feature annoys me at the best of times but this gets me raging. How can Facebook feed me this type of advert when my tracking cookies don't compute with it?!
Facebook is male and jealous of you?
Reply 2
Original post by Rock Fan
Facebook is male and jealous of you?

I'm starting to think Mark Zuckerburg is massively attracted to me and that's part of the reason why Facebook privacy settings are so awful!
its been tracking your internet history.
Original post by Wattsy
I'm starting to think Mark Zuckerburg is massively attracted to me and that's part of the reason why Facebook privacy settings are so awful!

I think he must be one big stalker
Reply 5
Original post by consumed by stuff
its been tracking your internet history.

I agree that it does do this, that's why I have every bookie as a suggested page. I don't understand where I get the gay things from though. I think I have 3 gay people on Facebook, a small percentage of my 400 friends so it can't be that. I have been fraped before regarding this sort of thing but I'm pretty sure I've deleted it all. I've never been on a website with homosexual adult material, even if I wanted to, that's what incognito is for. I just don't get it!
Reply 6
eh?
(edited 11 years ago)
Are you sure you weren't fraped at some point so that Facebook says you like men?
Reply 8
It just uses automatic algorithms. I get a bunch of suggestions for pages full of female beauty tips and random stuff like that - the fact that I have a bunch of privacy-related browser extensions means Facebook has trouble targeting stuff to me specifically.

Facebook doesn't think you're gay, it just thinks "people in this area that like this page also tend to like this page".

Just ignore it. It's not a big deal, is it? Do you actually care what a piece of computer code "thinks" of you?
Reply 9
Original post by dendodge
It just uses automatic algorithms. I get a bunch of suggestions for pages full of female beauty tips and random stuff like that - the fact that I have a bunch of privacy-related browser extensions means Facebook has trouble targeting stuff to me specifically.

Facebook doesn't think you're gay, it just thinks "people in this area that like this page also tend to like this page".

Just ignore it. It's not a big deal, is it? Do you actually care what a piece of computer code "thinks" of you?

I used to get abuse in school because I wasn't a primal caveman 'banging bitches left right and centre' so it does touch a nerve. I'm comfortable with my heterosexuality but Facebook just throws spanners at me with this sort of thing. I dislike it enough off people never mind maths code!
Reply 10
Original post by justanotherposter
Are you sure you weren't fraped at some point so that Facebook says you like men?

Yes I checked this immediately. I like women.
Reply 11
Original post by consumed by stuff
having 400 facebook friends is pretty gay.

According to some American news thing, 357 friends is the optimum for enjoyment of Facebook, any more than that and you get annoying people who you don't give 2 ****s about all over your timeline!
Who cares what facebook thinks anyway?
As long as you know deep down that you're not gay that's what matters! :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Solid.Snake
Who cares what facebook thinks anyway?
As long as you know deep down that you're not gay that's what matters! :smile:

This is something I'm quite aware of but for some irrational reason I still get annoyed by it. To call it psychological damage seems melodramatic but the more I think, the more that's what it looks like. I can deal with it though I'm just in a terrible mood and therefore am much less infallible than in normal mental state.

Quick Reply

Latest