Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Running advice for a beginner needed Watch

ReputationRep:
    I tried running for maybe the second time today and I could run barely a mile without getting really bad pain in my lower back. I don't know if this was muscular or not but I had to keep stopping because it got so sore. Then I started getting pain in the bottom of my legs, my ankles and the arches of my feet.

My trainer thinks I'm not pushing myself hard enough which is frustrating because I really am trying, I'm just THAT bad!

Don't know if this makes any difference but I'm large-framed, weigh 159lbs, and have size 3.5 feet (with medium to high arches).

I don't really want to give up on trying to run even though I don't appear to be a natural.

Thanks
    - Lu
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You might be doing too much too soon.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're right although that was actually only the second run I've ever been on. Thing is my trainer thinks I'm being lazy and wants me to push myself more but I really have to stop when my back gets super painful and because of the ankles. I'm about to start trying to run for half an hour every day so I don't think I'm running too much.

Going to buy running shoes this weekend and maybe see an osteopath just to check whether there's anything up with my back or feet.

ReputationRep:
    As above, it could be too much too soon. Also, maybe try different trainers? I have found that I sometimes get lower back pain when I wear certain shoes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you know where I can buy affordable running shoes? < £30?

ReputationRep:
    You must invest in a good pair of running shoes and socks. £50 will get you a good starter pair.

An other must is to stretch on AND off, properly - at least 5 minutes. If you don't, as a new runner, you'll pick up injuries pretty fast.

My advise would be to slow down. You should be able to talk easily whilst you're running if you can't you're more than likely going too fast, especially as a new runner. -
    Your trainer shouldn't be pushing you on your second run! It takes time.

If you feel the pain again, try walking for a minute and then slowly picking up to jogging speeds. But remember running is not an other night thing, it takes time to get your system use to working out like that.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I second Lee R. Start fast walk after feeling that you cannot run anymore. Then start running again. Your heart will not be overloaded.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zerm)
    Do you know where I can buy affordable running shoes? < £30?
    Aldi is a good place to get cheap shoes, although probably not at this time of year.

I would recommend against buying cheaper shoes, especially if you are planning on doing lots of running.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. A good pair will last you a good 6 months pending on how much you run and on what terrain.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys! I got a new pair of shoes today. They had me run on a treadmill in the shop to see my running pattern. I seem to run with my feet pointing outwards for some reason :confused:. The shoes are super comfy and it was so much easier to run in them.

Going to try a run tomorrow and hope it's a bit easier.

Thanks for your advice everyone!

Just one question though, Lee. You said something about running socks. Have to confess my ignorance but in what way do running socks make a difference? I may go and buy some.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.