Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i'm revising the photoelectric effect for AS physics and im struggling with the equations.

The question i need to answer is:

A gold surface is illuminated with monochromatic ultra violet light of frequency 2.10 x 12^15 Hz. The maximum kinetic energy of the emitted photo electron is 6.20 x 10^19 J. Calculate

a) the energy in J of the incident photon
    b) the work function of gold

So for a i do E=hf which gives me a total of 1.39 x 10^50 ?? am i way off?

so then i used the photo electric equation hf=Ekmax + phi and i took the max kinetic energy away from hf to leave me with the work function??

Sorry if that makes no sense, any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lornielou2012)
    Ok so i'm revising the photoelectric effect for AS physics and im struggling with the equations.

The question i need to answer is:

A gold surface is illuminated with monochromatic ultra violet light of frequency 2.10 x 12^15 Hz. The maximum kinetic energy of the emitted photo electron is 6.20 x 10^19 J. Calculate

a) the energy in J of the incident photon
    b) the work function of gold

So for a i do E=hf which gives me a total of 1.39 x 10^50 ?? am i way off?

so then i used the photo electric equation hf=Ekmax + phi and i took the max kinetic energy away from hf to leave me with the work function??

Sorry if that makes no sense, any help would be greatly appreciated :confused:
    that would be a heck of an energetic photon.
    You've got the right formula but something has gone wrong in the calculation.
    Also 2.10*12^15 is a non standard way of expressing a number, are you sure you copied that right?

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I thought!

it should be (6.63 x 10-34) X (2.10 X 1015)

And i've just spotted my mistake! i think the answer should be 1.39x10-18

Have i done the right thing to find the work function?

Thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    You're right.
    Obv it's good skills to be able to spot when an answer is unreasonable and re check your calculation in exams.

Fwiw 10^12 electron volts is a high energy for a 'lab made' particle (if you have a £multi-million accelerator), and an electron volt is of course a far smaller unit than a joule.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    You're right.
    Obv it's good skills to be able to spot when an answer is unreasonable and re check your calculation in exams.

Fwiw 10^12 electron volts is a high energy for a 'lab made' particle (if you have a £multi-million accelerator), and an electron volt is of course a far smaller unit than a joule.
    10^12 eV is only a factor of 7 away from the highest energy collisions ever achieved in ANY particle accelerator including the £multi-billion ones!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    10^12 eV is only a factor of 7 away from the highest energy collisions ever achieved in ANY particle accelerator including the £multi-billion ones!
    I can remember that the tevatron was named for being a Tera (10^12) electron volt collider and we're still not an order of magnitude higher.
    It'd seem strange if a cheapo uv lamp was making more energetic particles than that.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.