Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I remember on a thread elsewhere but couldn't find it again. There was a website linked to the thread and when I filled in my measurements it told me that my bra size was wrong. But every time I get measured in a lingerie shop, I always will come out as a 36D. I don't know if my posture is already bad but whenever I wear padded bras, I get back pain and my shoulders slope forward.

I wanted your opinions on what my bra size really is because I'm getting so confused. My measurements are as follows:

Bust: 36
    Under bust: 32

The 36D bras I'm wearing are currently getting loose in the cup and I have to keep readjusting the straps because they keep falling off my shoulders (when the straps are as tight as they can possibly be.

Starting to miss my bigger boobs due to weight loss. Boo!

Thanks
    - Lu

ReputationRep:
    Most online calculators are rubbish and add 4 to the underbust measurement to give you your band size - totally not necessary nowadays. What's your overbust measurement when bending over so your back is horizontal? Usually it's a bit more than measured when standing up and can help to provide a more accurate estimate of bra size.

My underbust is 28-29" and I wear a 28 or 30 band depending on the brand. You're most likely a 32 band (but some brands come up big/small). I'd say to start with a 32D and go from there - more like 32E/F if your overbust measurement when leaning forward is a few inches bigger. Go to somewhere like Debenhams (or Bravissimo if you're lucky enough to live by one), grab a load of sizes and just try everything on. Read up on how a bra should fit before you go!

I wouldn't usually recommend Reddit as a place for finding out useful info but this subreddit is actually really good The links in the sidebar on the right-hand side are very helpful. The mods do a good job of keeping out the pervy comments.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else here expecting a picture.

ReputationRep:
    It's kind of the type of thing u should know yourself, not have to ask on TSR? How should anyone know if u don't??

ReputationRep:
    a pic would help? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Best advice I can give any one unsure about sizing is pop into a store. Each bra will fit differently depending on material, style and brand.

It's best to therefore, choose a bra you like and be fitted into it.

The measurements you get online are often only used as guidelines for a proper fitting anyway

(According to them, I'm a 36D when in reality I'm a 34f / 34ff depending on where I shop and how much weight I've put on since committing my life to my 3rd year dissertation.

Best of luck, and never forget the important of a good fitting bra!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Future-doc)
    It's kind of the type of thing u should know yourself, not have to ask on TSR? How should anyone know if u don't??
    I'm asking due to the discrepancy in my sizing between an online bra calculator and the opinion of a bra fitter. I've read other stuff on the internet about how some stores don't fit correctly, so I'm mainly trying to gauge what people think about that.

(Original post by Bill_Gates)
    a pic would help? :rolleyes:
    I'm not going to fall for that one.

ReputationRep:
    Any answers you get on here (as well as on online calculators) would not be very accurate. If you go to places like Marks and Spencer or La Senza then they will measure you for free and suggest the best type of bra that you should use to give you the best support

Edit: Bra sizes are usually different in every shop, so it would be easier if you just tried a few on before buying them just to be sure that they fit. I norally have to buy a different size from different shops as the sizes are never the same.

ReputationRep:
    you should not be wearing a 36 that is mental. try with a 32, then take it from there. the band has to be tight since it does most of the supporting but not too tight that you can't breath or it hurts. it should be going straight all round with the armstraps loosened, not rising up.

then i would say for you START by looking at the DDs (so 32DD) because there is 4 inch difference between your bust and underbust (0=A 1=B 2=C etc.)... but remembering that all different brands and shops will have different sizings (annoyingly, for example I am 30FF in boux avenue but 32E/F in M&S and 30F in other brands like Freya) I would try on many sizes till you get a good fit. your cups should not be gaping nor should your boobs be spilling out. the 32DD is just a rough guide. if the cup size is good but the band is too big or small, remember you have to go DOWN one cupsize if you go UP a band size (so 34D) and UP a cupsize if you go DOWN a band size (30E) to get the equivalent cup sizes.

experiment with cupsizes too, if 32 is a good band size, then also check 32E and 32D just to check they aren't better, even if you feel comfortable in 32DD.

all of this is just estimation though, ESPECIALLY online calculators (they are CRAP)... the best way is to get measured. most places do it free and it's really not embarassing. i was too embarassed to get measured and i was wearing horribly small bras thanks to these online calulators, it gave me stretch marks, meant half the time i was spilling out etc... that was when i was 14... then i got measured and haven't looked back since... nothing like having a proper fitting bra especially when they are DD+ sized.

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem too, DO NOT go to La Senza. I am 30.5-31 inches underbust and they say I'm a 36 as well, so does M&S. It's just madness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I have this problem too, DO NOT go to La Senza. I am 30.5-31 inches underbust and they say I'm a 36 as well, so does M&S. It's just madness.
    Agreed with both. La Senza and M&S are crap IMO. Debenhams were better when I went, but still not perfect. Some branches are better than others!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.