Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Children aged five 'given shocking sex lessons' Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...x-lessons.html

"A report published on Wednesday claims that schools across England are using books that cover subjects such as orgasms and foreplay."

Thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)

"A report published on Wednesday claims that schools across England are using books that cover subjects such as orgasms and foreplay."

Thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The headline is fictitious, is my first thought. Upon reading the article, it would seem to be correct - primary school can be anything up to age 12, it doesn't just mean five year olds. I also saw that it's a report by the Christian Institute, who think that "abstinence only" is a liberal approach to sex education would probably prefer that we denied all knowledge of the subject.

ReputationRep:
    Its a study by the Christian Institute and it's published in the Telegraph. What do you reckon?

ReputationRep:
    Kids need to learn about sex, stuff that they haven't covered in school may confuse them when they grow older. I don't agree with age 5 learning about anal/oral sex but definitely year 6 and above.

ReputationRep:
    5 year olds dont learn about sex.
    sex ed is taught in yr 6- only the basics on reproduction though, even at high school you dont learn about foreplay etc.
    (BTW im a teacher)

seeing as its written by a christian institute, think they would rather us teach kids:
    'dont have sex, you will get pregnant..... and die'
    lol

ReputationRep:
    The headline seems exaggerated and the source of the research biased. I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I expected this to be in the Mail :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I remember learning about sex in year 6 and everyone found it disgusting ! Poor little kids...

ReputationRep:
    In year 7 we had lessons on anal sex. Bit far? Probably? Hilarious? Definitely.

ReputationRep:
    Statistically teenage pregnancy rates are lower in countries that have sex education from a young age and have relatively low legal age for consent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Jones)
    Statistically teenage pregnancy rates are lower in countries that have sex education from a young age and have relatively low legal age for consent.
    Coloration does not entail causation. Maybe the countries who have sexual education also give out protection during these sessions.

ReputationRep:
    That's awful, they should be given great sex lessons. No one wants shocking sex lessons! :rolleyes:

Seriously, if the sort of content mentioned in the article is widely taught, I do think that's wrong for that age group though. Nothing wrong with talking about sex and relationships to kids of any age, but not explicit acts, at least until later on. On the other hand, I don't know what the environment for these kids is like -- I'm sure in some playgrounds this stuff would be talked about anyway, we live in a very sexualized society, might as well have it dealt with by the teacher (which isn't necessarily to say that the teacher will deal with it appropriately, but they could).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Coloration does not entail causation. Maybe the countries who have sexual education also give out protection during these sessions.
    Well giving out protection during sex education would be an extremely smart thing for schools to do...

ReputationRep:
    My issue isn't that they've been given sex education lessons - but rather, the fact that they're being taught about terms like "foreplay", "oral", "anal".

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Jones)
    Well giving out protection during sex education would be an extremely smart thing for schools to do...
    Lol word.

I guess sex-education means education about protection. So all in all, you probably are right. I thought we were talking about the strictly theoretical element to it as i underwent in year 6.

ReputationRep:
    Well they've gotta learn some time

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that it was blown out of all proportion, something that the Telegraph is very good at. It's probably not even accurate, given that it was conducted by the Christian Institute. The Telegraph - the official sponsors of Moral Panic

ReputationRep:
    The source isn't reliable. The Time and Christian Institute are hardly going to be objective... Don't take any notice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)

Thoughts on this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Telegraph is a disguised tabloid.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think these lessons should be given that sooner. they are childrens of five or six years, and they should not know about those things. In my country, we learnt it fully when our age was 12. (purity time)

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.