The Student Room Group

Do I stand a chance?

Hey all,

I shall save you from the tedium of detailed circumstances, and just give you my grades. The course I am interested in is English Literature. I previously studied elsewhere (from September-February) however had to drop out unfortunately.

AS-Level:

English Literature: A
History: A
Law: A
Welsh (Second Language): A
Psychology: A

A-Level:

English Literature: A*

History: A* (100% in Year 13)

Welsh: B (1 UMS off :frown:)

As you can see, that B grade stands out and I am afraid that I will be immediately rejected without interview as a result. During my single term at University I acheived several Firsts in essays. Is there any way these could be considered alongside my application? I hope that these may compensate for my 1 UMS mark I missed out on in Welsh.

All advice is welcome,

Many thanks
x
Reply 1
Sorry, you don't stand a chance at Oxford, try Oxford Brooke's instead.
Reply 2
Original post by Beowulf
Hey all,

I shall save you from the tedium of detailed circumstances, and just give you my grades. The course I am interested in is English Literature. I previously studied elsewhere (from September-February) however had to drop out unfortunately.

AS-Level:

A-Level:

As you can see, that B grade stands out and I am afraid that I will be immediately rejected without interview as a result. During my single term at University I acheived several Firsts in essays. Is there any way these could be considered alongside my application? I hope that these may compensate for my 1 UMS mark I missed out on in Welsh.

All advice is welcome,

Many thanks
x

Oxford is the best place to study English! You need to resit that B :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Beowulf
Hey all,

AS-Level:

A-Level:

All advice is welcome,

Many thanks
x

You would need to ask the admissions tutors at the colleges you were interested whether they would even consider you as you don't meet the A*AA threshold. Cambridge would not consider you met it even if you retook this summer and achieved an A* as they look at the first sitting for A2.
Your average grade is A*AA whereas the average humanities student at Cambridge achieves A*A*A. What is your average UMS across all three subjects AS & A2? Is it well above 90%?

Your second problem may be why you dropped out-was it a major health issue or a loss of interest in the course? If the latter you may struggle to convince a tutor you are not high risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending