Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have unconditionals to study at Manchester and Queen Mary London. I am torn between the two...

I have ALWAYS wanted to live in London, coming from a small town/countryside... I visit it quite a lot due to friends etc. and I just have always loved this city. It is still close to my family and friends, only 1.5hrs away and not so expensive and like I said. I have good friends there so as well as making friends at uni, I would be able to see one of my best friends who I have known since we were babies more often, plus she's going through a really hard time and will be for the next few years, often calling me at like 2am in tears... she's younger than me and feels like my sister and I feel helpless at home and would feel even moreso in Manchester. The university seems really friendly andd pretty supportive, it has better graduate employment rates, in the rankings for my subject, Manchester is only ranked 2 unis higher in the UK. I really like the campus. The course does look good and interesting.

Manchester- Course is amazing! I really love it! I get to spend a year working abroad doing work experience which would be great for my CV. Uni also has more funding. The entry requirements were higher, if that means anything. However I hated the city and the campus... like I feel really negative about it. I am a long way from home, 5 hrs... I currently live in a different country and although very happy, would like to be within an easy distance from home when I return especially as my parents are having a baby.

I know I have to make the decision myself but it's proving difficult... if anyone could give me a few suggestions then that'd be helpful...

ReputationRep:
    no one?

ReputationRep:
    From what you've written you don't sound torn at all - it sounds like you'd prefer to be at QMUL. Three or four years is a long time to be in a city you dislike, and minor differences in uni rankings and entry requirements are irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    From what you've written you don't sound torn at all - it sounds like you'd prefer to be at QMUL. Three or four years is a long time to be in a city you dislike, and minor differences in uni rankings and entry requirements are irrelevant.
    you are right i would really prefer to be at QMUL but the degree at manchester would probably open more doors for me in the future which is why i am wavering. they also have better funding like the life science department gets £16mil, which is highest in country, and A LOT more than QMUL... then again they probably have a higher intake, they do a broader range of courses and QMUL has all the resources of london... the NHM, london zoo etc. i get to spend 1 year working in industry abroad and i would end up speaking french flulently both socially and scientifically. i can already speak french pretty well though, but not fluently yet. if i went to QMUL i would try to do ERASMUS, however that would not be as impressive as 1 year work experience which most jobs require on entry in the biological field, so i would have to spend 1 year after graduating extra doing work experience. unless i went on to do a PhD I guess..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleurie)
    you are right i would really prefer to be at QMUL but the degree at manchester would probably open more doors for me in the future which is why i am wavering. they also have better funding like the life science department gets £16mil, which is highest in country, and A LOT more than QMUL... then again they probably have a higher intake, they do a broader range of courses and QMUL has all the resources of london... the NHM, london zoo etc. i get to spend 1 year working in industry abroad and i would end up speaking french flulently both socially and scientifically. i can already speak french pretty well though, but not fluently yet. if i went to QMUL i would try to do ERASMUS, however that would not be as impressive as 1 year work experience which most jobs require on entry in the biological field, so i would have to spend 1 year after graduating extra doing work experience. unless i went on to do a PhD I guess..
    You get out of a degree what you put in, you make your own career opportunities.

Funding is a difficult thing to look at because it's affected by so many factors - what research is being done (not really influential on you as an undergrad), how many students there are, how many staff, etc.

Does it matter if your year of work experience is within or after your degree? It still adds up to a total of 4 years.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.