The Student Room Group

Does an extra year for my A levels affect my chances of getting into University?

Does an extra year for my A levels affect my chances of getting into University?
Reply 1
The top universities yes, the rest, no.
Depends a lot on the subject you're wanting to pursue, and the university you're aiming at. I applied to do a not-so-competitive course at 5 universities, 2 of them being Russel Group (Uni of Sheffield and Uni of Leeds) and I got offers from both of them, yet I resat my first year of A-levels.

Sometimes if you messed up and feel like you've not reached your potential, you just do what you have to do, and sometimes in this case you'll have to resit the year; that's regardless of the implications. Looking at the top universities like Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, etc, then maybe they'll see you as a weaker candidate amongst a sea of other students with top grades the first time around. But then again, you could write a smashing personal statement, get work experience within the field you want to go to, work towards top predicted grades, persuade teachers to write a excellent reference and you may well be considered. You need to play to your strengths and don't let an extra year put you off applying to universities. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest