Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Homosexuality and Political Correctness in the Media Watch

ReputationRep:
    So was reading this today:

Sir Stirling Moss doesn't want a 'poofter' to play him on film
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...n_2875324.html
    Summary: Sir Stirling Moss caused controversy recently by saying he didn't want "a poofter or anything like that" to play him in a film. He says, "I think it would be difficult for someone of the other persuasion, who is homosexual, to take on the part, as I have spent my life driving cars and chasing crumpet".

And it frustratingly shows how politically correct everything has become - the man can't even say what he thinks.

It sounds like a comment that he maybe hadn't thought much about in advance, but even if it was a bit of a gaffe on his part is this whole thing not going a bit over the top into the ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely nothing wrong with what he said, moving on....

ReputationRep:
    Saying it like that is sort of wrong but he's perfectly entitled to be homophobic in his head

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)

Summary: Sir Stirling Moss caused controversy recently by saying he didn't want "a poofter or anything like that" to play him in a film. He says, "I think it would be difficult for someone of the other persuasion, who is homosexual, to take on the part, as I have spent my life driving cars and chasing crumpet".

And it frustratingly shows how politically correct everything has become - the man can't even say what he thinks.

It sounds like a comment that he maybe hadn't thought much about in advance, but even if it was a bit of a gaffe on his part is this whole thing not going a bit over the top into the ridiculous?
    I'm confused. Who has stopped him saying what he thinks?

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be straight to enjoy driving cars, what a moron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    I enjoy it when women are referred to as 'crumpet'.
    I think he was speaking about female genitalia (since we're being PC)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    I'm confused. Who has stopped him saying what he thinks?
    I wouldn't count on that in a few years time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    I enjoy it when women are referred to as 'crumpet'.
    He is referring to the vagina not the whole woman. Even if he was referring to women, what is wrong with using slang to refer to women? It's not like he called them sandwich makers. Slang is used for everything, man, woman, vagina, penis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)

How has he been prevented from saying what he thinks?

What is your definition of freedom of speech? My definition doesn't include immunity from criticism.

ReputationRep:
    Dude he's 83, he lived his whole life using that word. I think what he actually meant was that he didn't want to be played by anyone effeminate which is a perfectly reasonable request, it's just the way he put it so bluntly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peter12345)
    Dude he's 83, he lived his whole life using that word. I think what he actually meant was that he didn't want to be played by anyone effeminate which is a perfectly reasonable request, it's just the way he put it so bluntly.
    Ah he'll be dead soon, good stuff
    I do wonder aswell what the reaction from you right wing populists would be if he said he didn't want a n*gger to play him, fine aswell i'd imagine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Jones)
    I do wonder aswell what the reaction from you right wing populists would be if he said he didn't want a n*gger to play him, fine aswell i'd imagine?
    That's so cruel. I'm sure he'll be around for a couple more years he looks healthy enough. \i think you should read the story of Gaddafi and that lockerbie bomber guy Al Megrahi or whatever his name was. Dying of terminal cancer, Gaddafi who was not only realatively young and healthy but a secure overlord of a country with lots of protection preparing his funeral but shock horror Gaddafi ends up dying before him. Yeah but n*gger has always been much stronger and a deliberate insult. Poofter has never been a very strong insult and back in his day I don't think it was an insult at all. It's like how in 50 years queer will probably be seen the same way

ReputationRep:
    Dude he's 83, he lived his whole life using that word.
    This essentially, his conception of sexuality was instilled in the 40's and 50's, hardly the most liberated of times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex_Jones)
    Yes, the same way he wouldn't want a Chinese or Indian guy playing him.

Would it make sense to cast Will Smith as George Bush in a film or Ryan Gosling as Obama? No! Clearly not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    really now? and how does this piece of "storm in a teacup" news indicate that?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    He is referring to the vagina not the whole woman. Even if he was referring to women, what is wrong with using slang to refer to women? It's not like he called them sandwich makers. Slang is used for everything, man, woman, vagina, penis.
    Yes but reducing women simply to a slang term for vagina is disrespectful and a blatant objectification of them.

ReputationRep:
    FFS, I'm gay and I'm not even remotely insulted by this. Just leave the man alone. He's 83 and grew up in a completely different world, you can't expect him to adapt to how quickly things have changed. And his opinions are now just harmless. How much influence could he possibly have anyways?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem with it, he's like 83 or something. My gran always makes racist comments but that's because she grew up with it. I'm not saying it's right, but she doesn't say it offensively or anything, it's more in a jokey way and mainly just to get a laugh or something, the same way she made fun of a woman who had small lips and said she couldn't give good blowjobs. She would make a joke about a black person at home, but say if she met one at a checkout she would be so polite to them. I can understand what he's saying though, he doesn't want a gay person playing him because he doesn't think their heart would be in it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Yes but reducing women simply to a slang term for vagina is disrespectful and a blatant objectification of them.
    Not sure if serious.......
    because no woman has ever referred to a penis as a "sausage", a "wand", a "trouser snake". No you're right they always use the correct medical terminology of "penis". Get over yourself, you and I both know that if it was a woman talking about "chasing sausage" there would be zero debate about offensiveness.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.