Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is googling someone obsessively stalking? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is really for my friend than me, but we're both really freaked out..

There's this guy on our course who's been obsessed with my friend for about a year- he always comes up to say hi, messages her etc- well today we got seriously weirded out. She needs an old laptop so put that on a facebook group, and this guy popped up saying he'd give her his.

He'd left the history on- and he's basically been googling her every day for the past year- seriously. Not just her- he'd found out what her parents' names were and googled them like once a week as well, found an alias she used and googled '### e bay, ###my space, found out she lives in ... and googled ''is .... a wealthy area, etc.. and other similar stuff, multiple times.. She's thinking of telling the police and I'm saying he hasn't harmed her etc, but she's fearful of his obsession- thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think she's in any harm. I don't think he's stalking, I think he fancies her and can't get himself to ask her out.

He's probably obsessed about her and just looks on the Internet for every bit of information about her.

I do find it creepy and weird, and if I was her I'd find it very uncomfortable.

My advice would be for her to talk to him expressing her worries, because she wouldn't want to worry about him, or his intentions for the foreseeable future.

ReputationRep:
    Creepy yes? Stalkerish? Maybe. Are you sure it was him who looked this up? Perhaps he's just a nice bloke who lends people stuff all the time without thinking and they googled your friend?

ReputationRep:
    but he hadn't lent it to someone else for the past year..

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone Googles someone at some stage or another. I've Googled my friends.

When he started Googling her parents, looking at EBay accounts, looking for their address etc, that's when it started getting obsessive, and more than just something to do when bored.

ReputationRep:
    I've NEVER googled my friends although I google myself to see what comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    but over and over again??

ReputationRep:
    Well yes i'd say thats obsessive stalking! I've googled my boyfriends dad and etc but that's only because his dad (which left his mum before he was born) has another son which is actually a famous olympian! And i wanted to compare pictures of him to his boyfriend and just find some background information as my boyfriend wont talk to me about it and i was rather interested, other than that i have never googled people i fancy etc.. Apart from maybe stalk their facebook lol

But yeah.. thats weird but i don't think you should contact the police about it. I think you should just confront him and see what he has to say for himself..

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.