Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    pleease don't neg me, I'm just asking an honest question! I grew up on an estate and am not a snob!

My friend is doing a geography masters and he's researching poverty in east glasgow. I didn't know much about it but some of the stuff he's showing me is shocking- there's a story about a guy who can't walk down his street without seeing needles everywhere, the child poverty figures are terrible, it's the poorest city in the first world- anyone know much about life there either cos they're from there or through stories?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe things will improve if Scotland becomes independent ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mulberry1)
    pleease don't neg me, I'm just asking an honest question! I grew up on an estate and am not a snob!

My friend is doing a geography masters and he's researching poverty in east glasgow. I didn't know much about it but some of the stuff he's showing me is shocking- there's a story about a guy who can't walk down his street without seeing needles everywhere, the child poverty figures are terrible, it's the poorest city in the first world- anyone know much about life there either cos they're from there or through stories?
    I'm aware Glasgow has problems but I think it's a little harsh to describe it as the poorest city in the first world. This report says that the welfare per capita spend (a figure linked to poverty rates, as I'm sure you're aware) is the ninth highest in the UK in Glasgow- not the first.

http://www.centreforcities.org/asset...TLOOK_2011.pdf

From my own impressions I've seen cities in the US and UK with just as bad if not worse poverty.

I grew up in a really nice suburb of Glasgow, Newton Mearns to be specific, so I've not exactly been surrounded by poverty all my life. I have however spent time in Baillieston- what could be described as a less savoury part of the city and one that has helped the city achieve the reputation it has. I don't know what street you're talking about but I've never encountered anything like that. Don't get me wrong it was dodgy as hell, but no worse than anything I've seen in Oldham or Tower Hamlets, for example (I'm not an expert on these areas- it was just my general impression). It's just like any other provincial British city, from my experience- even wonderful Edinburgh has parts that are shocking.

On the specific point you're making about child poverty, I'd like to note this further statistic that shows while Glasgow has appalling figures for child poverty- only one of its constituencies ranks in the top ten- compared to two each in Greater Manchester and the North East. Say what you like about population size, but the fact remains that it is a Manchester constituency and not a Glasgow one that has the highest concentration of child poverty in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21511583

Hope that helps- now back to my essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotland369)
    I'm aware Glasgow has problems but I think it's a little harsh to describe it as the poorest city in the first world. This report says that the welfare per capita spend (a figure linked to poverty rates, as I'm sure you're aware) is the ninth highest in the UK in Glasgow- not the first.

http://www.centreforcities.org/asset...TLOOK_2011.pdf

From my own impressions I've seen cities in the US and UK with just as bad if not worse poverty.

I grew up in a really nice suburb of Glasgow, Newton Mearns to be specific, so I've not exactly been surrounded by poverty all my life. I have however spent time in Baillieston- what could be described as a less savoury part of the city and one that has helped the city achieve the reputation it has. I don't know what street you're talking about but I've never encountered anything like that. Don't get me wrong it was dodgy as hell, but no worse than anything I've seen in Oldham or Tower Hamlets, for example (I'm not an expert on these areas- it was just my general impression). It's just like any other provincial British city, from my experience- even wonderful Edinburgh has parts that are shocking.

On the specific point you're making about child poverty, I'd like to note this further statistic that shows while Glasgow has appalling figures for child poverty- only one of its constituencies ranks in the top ten- compared to two each in Greater Manchester and the North East. Say what you like about population size, but the fact remains that it is a Manchester constituency and not a Glasgow one that has the highest concentration of child poverty in the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21511583

Hope that helps- now back to my essay

Well said! Was that not your essay? :lolz:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    I hope that this is sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    How so?
    the SNP could do more to revive ship-building on the Clyde once they are in charge of the country.
    People will always need ships ...you can have all the fancypants data jobs in the world but things will need to be moved by ship ye ken

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.