Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I have received two conditional offers (distinction (70%) as my overall grade in the certificate for HE (level 4) that I'm undergoing):

- Computer Science with Business Management at QM
    - Information Management for Business at UCL

I know they are different courses, one being focus in computing.
    I think I would prefer going to a degree where 70% of the degree is based in computing. I don't discard going to UCL and then take a MSc in Computer Science.

Now here is where it gets tricky, I'm afraid I won't get the 70% distinction, as if things go as they are now, I might get between 65% and 67%.

UCL will probably discard me straight away, but do you guys think QM might actually still accept me?

Having said so, which one should I firm (and use the other one as insurance, although it seems a little bit pointless)? QM or UCL?

If I firm QM, do you guys think they would like that? as if I would firm UCL and then fail to meet the condition, QM might not like to see that I'm might be uncertain on which degree I want to go to?

Remember that they won't receive the grades automatically (as opposed to what happens with A Levels)

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    can you not put ucl as firm and the other as insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoitsro)
    can you not put ucl as firm and the other as insurance
    That was what I planned to do, but can it affect the fact that QM might accept me without the 70% (let's say I have 67%) and after seeing that they are insurance don't like that I made that move, instead of putting them as firm choice?

ReputationRep:
    they dont find out if theyre firm or insurance
    but tbh, if you prefer qm, put that in firm, and if you prefer ucl, im afraid you gotta work your arse off
    if they think you have enough potential to get an offer, im sure your capable of mmeting it if you try your utmost
    best of luck
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Of course they do

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    ucas know
    the universities dont i believe
    but do forgive me if im wrong
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    ucas know
    the universities dont i believe
    but do forgive me if im wrong
    You are wrong.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    On Results Day, each Uni has the complicated job of trying to fill courses with as many high quality candidates as they can. For some this will mean they accept some people 'below offer' - ie. they just missed the offer but the Uni will take them anyway. It is IMPOSSIBLE to predict which Unis and which courses will do this in advance because no-one can predict with absolute certainty who will achieve offer grades or not. Therefore. dont try and 'second guess' what any University will do. Its utterly pointless.

PS. Yes, Universities do know who is F and who is I - because they have to be able to roughly predict who/how many will actually walk through the door in October to meet their numbers targets. They know from previous years the rough % of Firms who will make their offer. And the rough % of who wont and will then pick up their Insurance, or just drop out, or go into Clearing etc etc.

Trust us. We've been doing University Admissions a great longer than any of you have.

ReputationRep:
    but tbh, if you prefer qm, put that in firm, and if you prefer ucl, im afraid you gotta work your arse off
    if they think you have enough potential to get an offer, im sure your capable of mmeting it if you try your utmost
    best of luck
    Thanks!
    Very confused now, hopefully the open days will clear my doubts.
    My only fear is failing for 1% - 2% and not get in on none of both.

As others said, unis know if they are F or I (and if I'm not mistaken they also knew the requirements of the other uni offer), that bit I knew already.

Will do my best to get the grade or get as close as possible

(Original post by returnmigrant)
    On Results Day, each Uni has the complicated job of trying to fill courses with as many high quality candidates as they can. For some this will mean they accept some people 'below offer' - ie. they just missed the offer but the Uni will take them anyway. It is IMPOSSIBLE to predict which Unis and which courses will do this in advance because no-one can predict with absolute certainty who will achieve offer grades or not. Therefore. dont try and 'second guess' what any University will do. Its utterly pointless.

PS. Yes, Universities do know who is F and who is I - because they have to be able to roughly predict who/how many will actually walk through the door in October to meet their numbers targets. They know from previous years the rough % of Firms who will make their offer. And the rough % of who wont and will then pick up their Insurance, or just drop out, or go into Clearing etc etc.

Trust us. We've been doing University Admissions a great longer than any of you have.
    Thanks for the solid reply!

Since you seem to have experience, and if I may ask, is it also truth that a candidate paying oversees fees has better chances of receiving the offer (with lower requirement) or if he doesn't meet the offer get in, since he's paying oversee fees and there is no quota (if I understood correctly) the University might go easy on him if the candidate is suitable? Acknowledging also the fact that the person doesn't need a VISA to be on the UK.

I'm asking this because a friend said he has a classmate that got in with a lower grade because he's paying oversee fees (not on UCL neither QM, but part of Russell Group), and I always had this doubt as it seems unrealistic on this day and age that unis go after the money.

ReputationRep:
    International applicants are not subject to the numbers/funding constraints that control the number of Home students any University can accept. This is because they pay full fees and therefore arent subsidised by the British government.

The rules for defining who is an International student are very complicated. Much of it is defined by residency and not by nationality. Therefore it is quite possible to have a British passport or British residency and still be an International student if, for instance, that person and/or their parents has spent most of their life living outside the EU.

Yes, some Universities make more lenient offers to International applicants - because they rely on the income from International fees more than another University might. This is especially true for 'new' Universities, and less likely for Russell Group or 1994 Group Universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    International applicants are not subject to the numbers/funding constraints that control the number of Home students any University can accept. This is because they pay full fees and therefore arent subsidised by the British government.

The rules for defining who is an International student are very complicated. Much of it is defined by residency and not by nationality. Therefore it is quite possible to have a British passport or British residency and still be an International student if, for instance, that person and/or their parents has spent most of their life living outside the EU.

Yes, some Universities make more lenient offers to International applicants - because they rely on the income from International fees more than another University might. This is especially true for 'new' Universities, and less likely for Russell Group or 1994 Group Universities.
    Thanks again for the excellent reply.

I think I decided myself and will firm UCL and work hard, if I fail and QM also doesn't accept me I will try my luck at clearing.

Thanks everyone!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.