hi can someone help me answer this question:

was the weimar republic responsible for unemployment? explain

thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_999)

thankyou.
    Erm...It would seem that I've forgotten everything I learned in history last year! The wall street crash was a big reason for unemployment...I can't really remember much about the Weimar though. Sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarah_999)

thankyou.
    My response would be, to a small extent.

The Weimar Republic was irreparably damaged by the Wall Street Crash (October, 1929), a trigger to the Great Depression that followed. As was famously summed up, when America sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold.

America had become the international economic hub of the world post World War I. Traditional super powers, such as Britain and France were languishing in the same bankrupt rut at this point, struggling to restructure and reform infrastructures. Germany was in a similar position, only more so with the massive reparation payments they were paying, as agreed at the Versailles Treaty.

These economic commitments were lessoned by The Dawes Plan (1924), and the Young Plan (1925) - however, the sustaining of the Weimar economy was largely due to American top-ups. As soon as America began experiencing economic problems of her own, these top-ups dried up, which exacerbated the problems associated with hyperinflation during this period.

Employers went out of business, simply not being able to cope with the turbulent economy. Particularly affected were industrial zones, for example, the Ruhr, where workers were made redundant in their millions.

Now, you could argue that the Weimar Republic did nothing to counteract any of this, however, there really were very few options.

ReputationRep:
    u need 2 write about hyper inflation...
    funny...im doing german A2 cwk on that...
    well on the weimar republic being doomed 2 failure...

ReputationRep:
    remeber doing that for gcse and again for as i hate it sooooooooooo much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trigger)
    remeber doing that for gcse and again for as i hate it sooooooooooo much
    love history As :P we are a group of 9 people, great teacher and its really interesting
    if i dont get an A i will be really dissapointed

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.