Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

well, I am about to finish my Bsc in chemistry and I would like to do a Masters Programme. The thing is, I would like it to be sthg not related to chemistry, but I have the feeling there is little I can do with this degree. I actually wanted to do an MSC in management, but got rejected by a couple of unis and want to reapply next year. Meanwhile I thought of doing another Masters, but I haven't got a clue of what to do! Sthg not related to chemistry but which I am able to do with this degree.

any ideas will be VERY MUCH appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any reason that you want a Masters, or are you just doing it for the enjoyment?

If there's an end career in mind then that should give you a bit of a pointer. You need to research your target jobs and find out what (if any) Masters subject they would look for.

If you're just doing it because you like studying, then you need to narrow down what it is you think you'd enjoy most. I'm not sure we can really make useful suggestions until you're a bit clearer in you own mind. Do you have any hobbies or interests which might suggest something? Have you done any work experience which could give a good indication?

Whilst it's not impossible to do a Masters unrelated to your undergrad degree, many Masters will specify a good degree (2:1 or First) in a "related subject" or will look for practical or professional experience of the subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Is there any reason that you want a Masters, or are you just doing it for the enjoyment?

If there's an end career in mind then that should give you a bit of a pointer. You need to research your target jobs and find out what (if any) Masters subject they would look for.

If you're just doing it because you like studying, then you need to narrow down what it is you think you'd enjoy most. I'm not sure we can really make useful suggestions until you're a bit clearer in you own mind. Do you have any hobbies or interests which might suggest something? Have you done any work experience which could give a good indication?

Whilst it's not impossible to do a Masters unrelated to your undergrad degree, many Masters will specify a good degree (2:1 or First) in a "related subject" or will look for practical or professional experience of the subject.
    hey!
    well I basically want to become a manager at a pharmaceutical company. i really really want to do the mphil in management (speciallh designed for those who have never done any management at all) at cambridge, but i am pretty sure im not going to get in.

the thing is i was to reapply next year so, in the meanwhile, i thought i could do a different masters so that i improve my cv! and hence my chances of getting into cambridge increase.

what do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    An MA would usually be a good stepping stone to an MPhil - at least, that's how I've done it However, if your MPhil is especially designed for people with no previous experience of management, getting an MA in some kind of management-based subject might disqualify you from applying at all.

It's a bit of a knotty problem. I think it would be worthwhile contacting the relevant department at Cambridge and asking their advice. It would be a shame to spend a year doing a Masters which you hope will set you up for the MPhil, only to find that it prevents you from applying in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that business and management Masters and MPhil fees tend to be astronomically high and there's no equivalent of Student Finance for postgrad study. It's going to be a major financial investment, so it's important to get it right just from the perspective of not wasting your money.

ReputationRep:
    An MA would usually be a good stepping stone to an MPhil - at least, that's how I've done it However, if your MPhil is especially designed for people with no previous experience of management, getting an MA in some kind of management-based subject might disqualify you from applying at all.

It's a bit of a knotty problem. I think it would be worthwhile contacting the relevant department at Cambridge and asking their advice. It would be a shame to spend a year doing a Masters which you hope will set you up for the MPhil, only to find that it prevents you from applying in the first place.

Not to mention the fact that business and management Masters and MPhil fees tend to be astronomically high and there's no equivalent of Student Finance for postgrad study. It's going to be a major financial investment, so it's important to get it right just from the perspective of not wasting your money.
    well thanks a lot for that! i actually hadnt thought about the possibility of contacting Cambridge the thing is.. should i just contact the admissions team? i havent yet been told 'no' by the department... so maybe i should wait until im officially rejected LOL. im in the "under cosideration by the department" stage..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think in your position, I'd wait until you have the formal decision before making contact. You never know - you might get in!

ReputationRep:
    I think in your position, I'd wait until you have the formal decision before making contact. You never know - you might get in!
    yeah well.. my chances are quite slim. already got rejected by UCL and Imperial.. although I have to say that I have the feeling that if I was English (Im spanish) my chances would be much greater...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.