Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Do you have to take the pill (combined) at the same time each day, each month? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've just started going on the pill and am coming to the end of my first 7 day break, and had a thought. Do you have to take the pill at the same time you took it the previous month? Or can you change the time each month? Obviously, making sure you take it at the same time for the 21 days. It probably sounds stupid, but I just want to check. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it matters so much.

I think the time is just so it's easier to remember - it's just better to know that you take it at a certain time every day. With the combined pill (or at least mine), you get quite a longish window where you can take it if you've forgotten. I'm pretty sure that if I forgot my pill this evening, then I could take it tomorrow morning and it would be okay (meaning I would take two tomorrow). Not the best, but it's better than missing one completely!

I'm not sure, but I think it matters more taking it at the same time for the full 21 days each month though. It depends on the brand of pill though as I've learnt. I had a long-ish window with my first one where taking it a few hours apart for example on different days didn't have any effect, however with the one I'm on now, unless I take it at the exact same time, or at the very most a narrow time frame, I get breakthrough bleeding for the remainder of the 21 days. Highly annoying, but I guess at least this way I'm assured that there won't be any slip-ups as I have to ensure I take it at the exact same time every day (irregular bleeding is not fun!!).

ReputationRep:
    If you want to change your time after your break then feel free, that's fine.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the time frame of your pill. Some have a 12 hour window, but some only have a 3 hour window. In my experience, taking the combined pill at different times of day wouldn't matter much, but I get breakthrough bleeding if I don't take the mini pill around the same time every day. If you don't take your pill during the required timeframe, it'll reduce it's effectiveness, so it's worth setting an alarm for a certain time of day to remind you.

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem, I used to take it at lunch, but I wanted to start the next month at 11 in the evening, so my doctor said because it was after the time I would normally, it was better to start the next pack a day early... So I would normally start on Friday, but now I do on a Thursday... I dont think it really matters as long as its within 12 hours, but my gp thought because I was used to taking it earlier, it was safer to just start a day early so if you wanted to take it earlier than your normal time, I guess you wouldn't need to do what I did?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.