Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Anyone else sick of rich/privileged people moaning Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Being 'grateful' to no-one makes no sense. If someone does something nice for me, I'm grateful. If something nice fortuitously happens to me, I'm happy, but not grateful. If I win the lottery and have half my money taken by a fraudster, I'm not 'grateful' for my half a lottery's worth of winnings; I'm happy that I have my half lottery win, but angry that half of it has been taken. And I don't think anyone would suggest that I should just stfu and be 'grateful' for my half.
    Well no, being grateful in general is a good trait. Being happy with what you have in life and realising you are 'lucky' and could quite easily be worse off is important.

How is paying tax comparable to having money stolen?
    Are you a member of the taxpayers alliance or something? Do you think, like them, that tax is theft?

Your mistake here is that 'bad' itself is relative. British 'poverty' is still pretty high up there with the highest living standards human beings have ever enjoyed, anywhere.
    Not being able to feed yourself properly is pretty **** given how prosperous this country is though.

Me: It's not the amount, it's the principle of having half her money taken away.
    You: But she still has a large amount!

Again, the hypocrisy here is off the chart.
    Tax is not the same as theft, it is not like one person spending it on what they like it goes towards helping those less fortunate and to helping the country as a whole. Ok so you might not agree with everything it is spent on, no-one ever will be, but is not the same as theft.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I'm sorry but you can't possibly be saying that to come out and complain that you only made 4 million pounds that year as a public figure with millions of fans worse off than you is not a **** move?
    I would if you'd also agree that the poor in this country complaining about not having 3 meals a day or *only* receiving a tiny income to support their family is a **** move to people in Africa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    I would if you'd also agree that the poor in this country complaining about not having 3 meals a day or *only* receiving a tiny income to support their family is a **** move to people in Africa?
    Well no because the people in Africa don't hear them. If they went to Africa and told all the Africans that, then it would be comparable.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Can I just point out, that some people in the UK do live on the streets? And there are some who have lost their benefits / job and are now at risk of losing their home.

ReputationRep:
    Well no because the people in Africa don't hear them. If they went to Africa and told all the Africans that, then it would be comparable.
    Okay, so it wouldn't have mattered to you as long as Adele didn't say it publicly?

ReputationRep:
    Well no, being grateful in general is a good trait. Being happy with what you have in life and realising you are 'lucky' and could quite easily be worse off is important.

How is paying tax comparable to having money stolen?
    Are you a member of the taxpayers alliance or something? Do you think, like them, that tax is theft?

I'm not particularly interested in spending a load of time finding some definition of 'theft' that applies on a moral level and then comparing it to tax. It's enough that I think that a 50% rate is far too onerous, and that fundamentally my earnings through private dealings are mine. I would view tax as 'taking', in a morally neutral sense. Since the proportion in my view makes the taking unjustified, the analogy works perfectly well.

Not being able to feed yourself properly is pretty **** given how prosperous this country is though.
    Well, the vast majority of whiny people in here can feed themselves, including the deeply ungrateful OP with his apparently derisory £6k of other people's money.

Why should it be 'given how prosperous this country is'? What justification have you for taking that frame of reference?

Tax is not the same as theft, it is not like one person spending it on what they like it goes towards helping those less fortunate and to helping the country as a whole. Ok so you might not agree with everything it is spent on, no-one ever will be, but is not the same as theft.
    Okay, question -- was Robin Hood a thief?

ReputationRep:
    I've been brought up in a single parent family practically all my life, my father lives in New Zealand so her doesn't have to pay anything towards my upbringing.. so he didn't apart from towels for my 7th birthday and a nemo shaped memory stick for my 18th birthday.

So naturally i was brought up to be sparing and caring about property of any kind, also not to be wasteful.

I have to babysit this 12 year old every now and again, she drives me stir crazy! I know its not really her fault but the parents, but only being paid £6.50 p/h to look after the little brat who has 2 lawyer as parents is hell. And they moan constantly about not having enough money -__-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Can I just point out, that some people in the UK do live on the streets? And there are some who have lost their benefits / job and are now at risk of losing their home.
    Duly noted. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, those with access to shelters and food given to them are still in enormously better positions than their counterparts in Africa. By OP's logic, they should stfu and 'be grateful'. The reasoning that no-one should complain just because other people have it worse is stupid.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Duly noted. As I pointed out earlier in the thread, those with access to shelters and food given to them are still in enormously better positions than their counterparts in Africa. By OP's logic, they should stfu and 'be grateful'. The reasoning that no-one should complain just because other people have it worse is stupid.
    You're apparently limited to only 3 days worth of food from food banks.

ReputationRep:
    You're apparently limited to only 3 days worth of food from food banks.
    Yeah, fine, some people in absolute poverty are clearly in the category of entitled whiners. People being gifted £6k by the government to put them in a better position to enjoy their heavily subsidised university education do not fall within such an absolute category.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Okay, so it wouldn't have mattered to you as long as Adele didn't say it publicly?
    Not really no. Say what you like in your own home tbf as long as it isn't impacting on others no harm done.

ReputationRep:
    True. But she can't moan if she spends that much and then has no money left.
    The majority of people I know live within their means, in that they adapt to the wage that they earn, but still struggle a bit at the end of the month when their budget wasn't completely perfect. Everyone wishes they could have a little bit more- I don't think we'd progress as a race if we didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly interested in spending a load of time finding some definition of 'theft' that applies on a moral level and then comparing it to tax. It's enough that I think that a 50% rate is far too onerous, and that fundamentally my earnings through private dealings are mine. I would view tax as 'taking', in a morally neutral sense. Since the proportion in my view makes the taking unjustified, the analogy works perfectly well.
    Well we won't get hung up on that, I agree with the 50% tax rate despite the fact when I inherit I will be hit by it on my inheritance, you don't, lets agree to disagree.

Well, the vast majority of whiny people in here can feed themselves, including the deeply ungrateful OP with his apparently derisory £6k of other people's money.

Why should it be 'given how prosperous this country is'? What justification have you for taking that frame of reference?
    Hey I never stuck up for the OP, I just said Adele is a *****.
    Well most people in this country have more than enough to live on, you think we would have sorted it out so there weren't people in such a state of poverty.

Okay, question -- was Robin Hood a thief?
    Well yes because the owners did not have a choice. But if you don't like tax you can just move away, like Depardieu did from France. Also Robin hood gave directly to the poor rather than putting the wealth into things that would also benefit rich people.

ReputationRep:
    It's called taxes. The concept is you give a proportion of what you earn to help the country as a whole. 4 million is more than enough money, if she doesn't want to pay taxes she can move to UAE.
    Haha, I know what taxes are, hence why I'm so against them being too much.

Why should the wealthy be treated as a cash cow? "They have more than enough money" is poor reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Not really no. Say what you like in your own home tbf as long as it isn't impacting on others no harm done.
    Really? So Adele's a ***** for expressing her views to the public (because she might hurt poorer people's feelings,) but not necessarily for believing that £4m isn't enough? I was arguing out of principle, but that doesn't seem to be the line of argument you are making.

ReputationRep:
    No sympathy at all. There are people on much lower incomes losing their benefits because they have a partner earning over £7.5k per year. The lady in the article should be grateful that she has a job and can work.
    The biggest issue was the outgoings. They were both spending so much money e.e £1000 on food! I come from a family of 6 and we don't spend that much on food! At most we'd probably spend £40-£60 in a week on food.

After the original article, many people commented on the amount of money spent so she got a financial adviser and since then she's been learning how to save money and cut down costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Haha, I know what taxes are, hence why I'm so against them being too much.

Why should the wealthy be treated as a cash cow? "They have more than enough money" is poor reasoning.
    Well because they have more than enough money to live a full and healthy life whereas others do not, because I feel free healthcare is important and education etc. Also I think University fees are too high. All this money needs to come from somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Really? So Adele's a ***** for expressing her views to the public (because she might hurt poorer people's feelings,) but not necessarily for believing that £4m isn't enough? I was arguing out of principle, but that doesn't seem to be the line of argument you are making.
    Well she can believe what she likes in private, I just think moaning in public about only having 4 million is a **** thing to do.

There are always going to be people with a sense of entitlement to every penny they earn in this world, I can tolerate them if they don't go on about it in the media like they're some sort of martyr.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but you can't possibly be saying that to come out and complain that you only made 4 million pounds that year as a public figure with millions of fans worse off than you is not a **** move?
    It certainly wasn't great PR. One of the golden rules of showbiz - never kick the fans in the teeth.

ReputationRep:
    Well because they have more than enough money to live a full and healthy life whereas others do not
    So rich people should work hard to get money and then give it away to other people?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.