The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
I suppose that people who are genuinely in poverty, like people who have to walk miles every day just to get clean drinking water, might think it's a bit wrong for people earning £10,000 a year to be moaning.
Original post by That Bearded Man

I'm not selfish, when I get taxed 50%, I'll be thankful that at least it goes to helping those in need, not angry that some people are given a place to sleep for the night.

I bet you wont. I bet if you've managed to work hard enough to earn enough to be taxed that much, you'll be fuming that you can't keep it.
Print out that post, put it in a box, and look at it again when you're 45/50. See if you think the same then.
Original post by CelticSymphony67
When I earned £8m? No, absolutely not, because I would be grateful to be earning that money in the first place. Adele should keep her beak shut and be thankful for the money she earns.

Who should she be grateful to exactly? She isn't earning this money through chance, she's worked hard for it.
Original post by CEKTOP
DSS = housing benefit/income support recipient, regardless of any medical conditions. Please don't tell me that you've never seen "no dss" in housing adverts.

The vast majority of new housing benefit claims in the past few years have been by people in employment. Oh and income support doesn't exist anymore.
Original post by thecookiemonster
Who should she be grateful to exactly? She isn't earning this money through chance, she's worked hard for it.

She should be grateful to the people who buy her records, the average Joe Bloggs in the street, who probably do claim some sort of benefits and/or work 50 hours a week on minimum wage. She should take her mind out of neutral before she puts her mouth into gear!
Reply 265
Original post by redferry
I'm sorry but you can't possibly be saying that to come out and complain that you only made 4 million pounds that year as a public figure with millions of fans worse off than you is not a dick move?

Redferry, you said that no one "needs" 8 million pounds. Can I point out to you that you don't "need" £10,000 a year, or an internet connection, or a car, or a television, to survive.

People in Africa could say that it's very distasteful for anyone in the UK earning £10,000 a year to whine about being poor, while they are having to walk miles every day just to get clean drinking water.

I suppose it is all relative, but what I'm pointing out is that just because something is not needed, it doesn't make it wrong to want it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Bart1331
Redferry, you said that no one "needs" 8 million pounds. Can I point out to you that you don't "need" £10,000 a year, or an internet connection, or a car, or a television, to survive.

People in Africa could say that it's very distasteful for anyone in the UK earning £10,000 a year to whine about being poor, while they are having to walk miles every day just to get clean drinking water.

I suppose it is all relative, but what I'm pointing out is that just because something is not needed, it doesn't make it wrong to want it.

I am LOVING this 'people in Africa' example far too much. Did I go to Africa and complain that I only get £10000 a year? No. Did anyone? No. Well maybe but not that I have heard about.

Publicly complaining about only having 4 million quid is a dick move. I don't publicly complain about what I have, I appreciate it.
Original post by Kibalchich
The vast majority of new housing benefit claims in the past few years have been by people in employment. Oh and income support doesn't exist anymore.

Income support still exists.
Reply 268
I am LOVING this 'people in Africa' example far too much. Did I go to Africa and complain that I only get £10000 a year? No. Did anyone? No. Well maybe but not that I have heard about.

Adele didn't come to your house and complain about how much she earned either.

My point is that just as you may see 4 million as being a luxury that no one should complain about, people in a different setting may see £10,000 as representing luxury that no one should complain about. Look around on this site and you'll easily find some examples of people complaining that a low income wage isn't enough. Now someone who has to walk many miles a day just to get clean drinking water might feel that a person on £10,000 a year isn't appreciating what they have. Someone on £10,000 a year might feel that someone earning £4 million isn't appreciating what they have.

No matter how much you're earning - You aren't going to be happy about a reduction in that income.
(edited 11 years ago)
Adele didn't come to your house and complain about how much she earned either.

My point is that just as you may see 4 million as being a luxury that no one should complain about, people in a different setting may see £10,000 as representing luxury that no one should complain about. Look around on this site and you'll easily find some examples of people complaining that a low income wage isn't enough. Now someone who has to walk many miles a day just to get clean drinking water might feel that a person on £10,000 a year isn't appreciating what they have. Someone on £10,000 a year might feel that someone earning £4 million isn't appreciating what they have.

No matter how much you're earning - You aren't going to be happy about a reduction in that income.

No she just did it in a media interview.
I think Bill gates is a pretty good example of someone who doesn't mind a serious reduction in income given the amount he gives to charity.
I think Bill gates is a pretty good example of someone who doesn't mind a serious reduction in income given the amount he gives to charity.

Although it made me cringe a bit when he said words to the effect that his kids won't be "left much - just enough to get them started in life" and the amount he was planning to leave them - $10m each. It's another world, lol.
Reply 271

Yep, which you then listened to - No one forced you to do that though. If it was going to annoy you, don't listen to it. But don't act as though someone held a gun to your head and made you listen to it.

Because he's chosen to do it. If you are on minimum wage, you might not mind donating a small bit of money to charity every now and then. But if you got told that, starting today, your income was being reduced by 10%, 20% or even 50%, you'd probably be annoyed.
If we apply the same logic that you have used - surely we should not be allowed to moan either as there are people - even in this country - that are living waayy under the poverty line not making the ends meet, living on the streets, not having the means to feed their children, etc.
See how silly that sounds? Yes there are people who earn £75k+ a year who still moan, but this is the standard of life they are used to and they have the exact same right to moan as we do if they find themselves in a situation when they suddenly can't pay for a comfort that they would otherwise be accustomed to.
Yep, which you then listened to - No one forced you to do that though. If it was going to annoy you, don't listen to it. But don't act as though someone held a gun to your head and made you listen to it.

Wait what? I'm sure her fans like to read interviews by her. Are you suggesting all music fans never read or listen to interviews by the artists in case they say something dickish?
Should I tear out my car radio and delete my facebook? Because that is how I heard about it...

Because he's chosen to do it. If you are on minimum wage, you might not mind donating a small bit of money to charity every now and then. But if you got told that, starting today, your income was being reduced by 10%, 20% or even 50%, you'd probably be annoyed.

Well my dad doesn't complain and he's in the 40% tax bracket I think.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Although it made me cringe a bit when he said words to the effect that his kids won't be "left much - just enough to get them started in life" and the amount he was planning to leave them - $10m each. It's another world, lol.

hahaha yeah that is a bit crazy. He gives a ridiculous amount away though.
Reply 275

Well my dad doesn't complain and he's in the 40% tax bracket I think.

So if was to lose say maybe half of his after-tax earnings, you sure he wouldn't be a bit pissed off? It would be like being taxed twice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by thecookiemonster

Lots of people work hard every day to earn a pittance in comparison. What entitles a singer to millions more than, say, a surgeon?
So if was to lose say maybe half of his after-tax earnings, you sure he wouldn't be a bit pissed off? It would be like being taxed twice.

What so if he was taxed at 70%? well to be honest that would be getting a bit absurd. We would still have enough to live on though.
I'm a student and earn little working weekends around college, my friend earns little with her weekend job (although she earns much more than I do) and she has an extremely rich grandmother who paid for all her driving lessons, brought her a car, is paying for all of her uni fee's, and just gives her money whenever she wants/needs it (10K as a birthday present :O).. I, however, have to occupy myself the little amount I earn and the little amount my parents give me now and again, I'll be in a lot of uni debt and I can't even afford to drive let alone buy a car, yet my friend still says to me "omg I'm so poor I need more money I hate this omg omg" and I'm just there thinking, shut up! That's what annoys me.. spoiled people who don't realise how lucky they are.. money gets to people's heads, that's the one thing I like about not having much money!
Original post by OU Student
Income support still exists.

I thought it had been replaced by ESA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending