Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Anyone else sick of rich/privileged people moaning Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rolos12345)
    average job has over 20 applicants. average graduate job over 50.

its no wonder you get rejected so often. its not a personal thing. its because the borders are wide open.
    Hey, don't blame the numbers. It's not their fault. Blame yourself, for not being the best of the 50. Should've tried harder.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    DSS = housing benefit/income support recipient, regardless of any medical conditions. Please don't tell me that you've never seen "no dss" in housing adverts.
    Well done for completely ignoring my question. I know what DSS is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Well done for completely ignoring my question. I know what DSS is.
    Disabled people constitute a minority and were exempt from my generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's a tax on the transfer of wealth between generations, it doesn't "take away" anyone's money, it reduces the unearned receipt of wealth by those who have done nothing to earn it other than be born. I'm not against inheritance, but it's a sensible place to put some tax onto.
    Technically it does, the person may be dead, but his/her money is still being take away, the receipt of wealth is earned by descendants by the fact that they are born and are mentioned in the will/if there is no will. It is an attempt by the state to incorporate social engineering into itself and to enrich itself at the expense of its citizens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's a tax on the transfer of wealth between generations, it doesn't "take away" anyone's money, it reduces the unearned receipt of wealth by those who have done nothing to earn it other than be born. I'm not against inheritance, but it's a sensible place to put some tax onto.
    "It doesn't take away anyone's money, it just takes it away from people who haven't, in my view, earned it".

Right.

Your view that it's not "taking away" anything is just an expression of your conclusion that the prevention of the demise is morally justified. I accept that there's an argument over whether it is morally justified, but let's not pretend like there's any substance in this response.

edit: I'm not sure exactly what I want you to say, to be honest, but I've seen you pin arguments on semantics like that before, and I don't think it achieves anything.

ReputationRep:
    Why do other people bother you so much?

ReputationRep:
    Nope.

Lets be honest, being poor is ****. One wants as much money as possible and generally the more money you have, the easier life gets.

Nothing seems more mad than the 'get what you need attitude'. If you work a full time job, you should be able to eat what food you want, live somewhere with ample space and light, have fun at weekends, and get boozy and have hobbies.

Its the 21st century FFS, there is more than enough for everyone. There is no reason for anyone to get up, work all day, tick a box that says ample nutrients, go to bed and repeat 5 days a week. Aspire for more than that in life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Why do other people bother you so much?
    It's 'they have more stuff than me' type angst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    It's 'they have more stuff than me' type angst.
    :yep:

"Omdaizz someone can afford more holidays than me, I'm so hard done by" (Even though I go on holiday once a year and write this from an Apple Mac )

ReputationRep:
    Instead of feeling angry at these people, shouldn't you feel sorry for them? That they feel unhappy even though they have so much, that somehow they are unable to be grateful for what they have? A poor person who is happy and at peace has a much better life than a depressed or angry wealthy person.

Take My Super Sweet Sixteen. Kids throwing a tantrum because the BMW they got for their sixteenth birthday is the "wrong" colour. That's not because they are terrible people, it's because they've been raised in a way that tells them that anything in their life that isn't to their exact specifications is a cause for unhappiness. Isn't that sad? How will they ever be truly happy?

Everyone should watch this and cheer up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Worst example is Adele - 'waaaaaah I earnt 8 million last year but now I only have 4 million'

Oh boohoo poor you.
    **** off love.
    To be fair I think you would be annoyed if half of the money which you've worked hard to earn was just taken away from you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)

Take My Super Sweet Sixteen. Kids throwing a tantrum because the BMW they got for their sixteenth birthday is the "wrong" colour.
    Those 'famous tantrum' scenes for Sweet Sixteen, including the "OMG my new Lexus is the wrong colour" one, were completely staged by MTV, they were promos for the show - the girl in that scene made a separate vid for YouTube where she explained how she'd never got the Lexus and it was all made up for the programme.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that DM article is disgusting. I skimmed over it and still feel disgust without even making effort to read it whole. As I thought: wealthy people want more wealth or it's just a wish to infuriate less well-off people. Just for laughs. :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valentas)
    Wow that DM article is disgusting. I skimmed over it and still feel disgust without even making effort to read it whole. As I thought: wealthy people want more wealth or it's just a wish to infuriate less well-off people. Just for laughs. :\
    It isn't really surprising that rich people want to be even richer and middle-class people want to be wealthy, given that people are bombarded with envy-inducing material all the time, glossy magazines showing how the rich allegedly live, ridiculously staged TV shows like Made in Chelsea or Housewives of Absurdly Rich Location xxxx, or newspaper articles about bored socialites.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    To be fair I think you would be annoyed if half of the money which you've worked hard to earn was just taken away from you!
    When I earned £8m? No, absolutely not, because I would be grateful to be earning that money in the first place. Adele should keep her beak shut and be thankful for the money she earns.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I know which article the OP is referring too. That's ridiculous. It's here

How does a family of 5 spend that much on groceries? Even the new amount she was spending is a lot.

I have no sympathy at all. I receive roughly £160 a week. Out of that, I give my parents money, have to save to move out, pay my dad some money, etc. Thankfully, I don't need to buy textbooks.

I do know someone who was moaning that they now have to help their adult child out because their child benefit has stopped due to income. Last time I checked, you're not forced to live in a certain area in the UK, nor are you forced to take your children on expensive trips. When I was younger, my dad worked nights and would be in bed until at least 3pm. During the holidays, we'd take a packed lunch, frisbee, football, etc. down to the park for a few hours.
    This one's even better: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-debate-.html

Apparently they struggle to clothe and feed their kids on over 7k a month...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    This one's even better: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...s-debate-.html

Apparently they struggle to clothe and feed their kids on over 7k a month...
    I must stop reading those articles. Apparently, they "deserve the money because children are expensive to bring up". Aren't they a choice? You're not forced to have children. And why should a childless person earning £10k per year fund your child benefit?

I've come across people moaning that because of the changes, they won't have enough to put the money into their child's trust fund. My heart bleeds. Meanwhile, there are people on £71 a week, who from April, are going to have pay some of their council tax out of that money.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I must stop reading those articles. Apparently, they "deserve the money because children are expensive to bring up". Aren't they a choice? You're not forced to have children. And why should a childless person earning £10k per year fund your child benefit?

I've come across people moaning that because of the changes, they won't have enough to put the money into their child's trust fund. My heart bleeds. Meanwhile, there are people on £71 a week, who from April, are going to have pay some of their council tax out of that money.
    They're too good not to. Lines such as 'This term one child is doing drama but another has to do without' are simply too heart wrenching to miss out on.

As you say no one forced you to have 4 kids (sticking plaster for the marriage maybe?). If you wanted to send them all to private school etc. you should have worked out that maybe, just maybe, it was going to cost some money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecookiemonster)
    Not if I had 4 million pounds for something that is just the way I was born I wouldn't. There are people out there who work in jobs one hundred times harder than hers for less than 1% of what she earns.

She is an ungrateful *****.

ReputationRep:

People are very enclosed within their social class bubbles and wear ignorance spectacles that go instantly black when confronted with the social problems of people less fortunate than themselves. I've often heard ridiculous moans from people used to a privileged background about problems that would be considered entirely frivolous by people with less money in the family. Just one of those things we find in a highly stratified society where each class lives a separate life.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.