The Student Room Group

how useful is an extra AS qualification??

hellooo, im going to do A level maths,further maths and physics. im hoping to do one of these at uni

-civil engineeering
-aerospace engineering
-astronomy & cosmology
-robotics
-nuclear physics
-aeronautical engineering

my school is offering me the opportunity to do AS religious studies, which will be an extra AS level qualification. im having to do my A levels in 3 years due to retaking my AS year. im now in my first AS year and things have gone very wrong for me since sepetember. most likely, i will have to redo AS next year again. so when apply to uni (imperial college or UCL or southampton), i thought i could tell them i got my AS religious studies even though i flopped my first AS year. then that way, atleast i didnt totally waste my first AS year. so is this extra qualification usefull?? or does it make no difference??
(edited 11 years ago)
In my opinion, I would suggest you do not take the extra AS qualification and concentrate on getting good results in your A2 exams. My reasoning: 1) You said you want to make it seem you didn't completely fail your first AS year, but nonetheless, the universities will be able to see the dates you took your AS levels and see religious studies was taken a year later. 2) Considering the degrees you want to apply to, if you wanted to do an AS perhaps it is worthwhile doing one in something related to your prospective degree?
What are your other subjects?
Reply 2
Original post by InspiringMinds
In my opinion, I would suggest you do not take the extra AS qualification and concentrate on getting good results in your A2 exams. My reasoning: 1) You said you want to make it seem you didn't completely fail your first AS year, but nonetheless, the universities will be able to see the dates you took your AS levels and see religious studies was taken a year later. 2) Considering the degrees you want to apply to, if you wanted to do an AS perhaps it is worthwhile doing one in something related to your prospective degree?
What are your other subjects?

at the moment, im doing maths,physics, french. i dont really know if i should go to the lessons for religious studies. i only chose it in september instead of further maths because i was told the school will not be able to do further maths.obviously now, i regret choosing religious studies.
Reply 3
It is very helpful. Do it. Statistically you are 350 times more likely to be accepted over someone else who's only done 4 AS for a uni position.
Reply 4
It will be very advantageous when applying for university. Most applicants will have at least 4 subjects at at least AS level, many will have 4 to full A2 and some have even more so just bear that in mind. My sixth form makes us take at least 5 subjects at AS and at least 4 to A2.

Quick Reply

Latest