Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How to call in ill to work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a waitress so obviously I'm around food all day. In working Sunday and Monday and I've just been getting a really bad cold. I can't get warm and then I'm boiling at night and can't sleep, my nose is blocked and I have a bad cough that's started to crack now and it's really really sore in my chest and throat and my poo isn't ... erm .. normal and walking makes me dizzy and lightheaded. I thought if I call tomorrow they have time to find someone else to cover my shift? I just don't know if that seems like I'm faking it or what? I don't want to leave it short notice for them and to get Angry. I don't know what to say because I really can't go in, but I don't wanna go into so much detail it looks like I'm making it up :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Hi, it's smudge_moon here. I won't be coming in tomorrow as I've gone down with this bug that everyone seems to be getting and I feel pretty horrendous".

ReputationRep:
    See how you feel tomorrow. If you still feel awful, phone them on Saturday saying you're I'll and you won't be able to come in on Sunday. If they ask about Monday, just say probably not (on the safe side) and you'll let them know on Sunday.

They can't be mad at you for being Ill!

ReputationRep:
    Just call your manager and say you're ill and that as you work around food you're worried about passing your illness onto customers. Say you called in advance so that they could try to cover your shift. Simple

ReputationRep:
    There's absolutely nothing you can do if you're ill! You shouldn't be working around food or other people if you may pass on an infection. You're giving sufficient notice so they should be more than happy! The other week I could only give 3 hours notice to not coming in. Got home from my first shift covered in blisters; had chickenpox, obviously couldn't go back in!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure they'd rather you didn't come in, rather than turn up and then infect everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Take some laxatives and call your manager while you're on the toilet...

"....Yeah, can you hear that poo? That's what's going on"

Should do the trick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudge_moon)
    I'm a waitress so obviously I'm around food all day. In working Sunday and Monday and I've just been getting a really bad cold. I can't get warm and then I'm boiling at night and can't sleep, my nose is blocked and I have a bad cough that's started to crack now and it's really really sore in my chest and throat and my poo isn't ... erm .. normal and walking makes me dizzy and lightheaded. I thought if I call tomorrow they have time to find someone else to cover my shift? I just don't know if that seems like I'm faking it or what? I don't want to leave it short notice for them and to get Angry. I don't know what to say because I really can't go in, but I don't wanna go into so much detail it looks like I'm making it up :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "Hi [manager's name], it's [your name (assuming it's not actually smudge moon!)]. I'm really sorry, but I won't be able to come into work tomorrow - I've come down with a bug of some kind and I'm just feeling pretty awful. Sorry for the short notice, I hope someone is able to cover for me"

As long as you sound genuinely sorry (and genuinely ill! ), your boss will be fine with it, don't worry. I was also really worried about ringing in sick for the first time, but it's honestly nothing to worry about.

Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    For what it counts, unless I literally can't move, I always called before hand and explained that I really wasn't well but offered to turn up to work and try to help as much as I could. Sometimes I'd be able to manage a few hours, or do something less customer-facing and be of some help. Managers really do appreciate it and will be able to tell if you're genuinely not fit for work, and will really thank you for making the effort.

If you're genuinely ill, then you're ill. You didn't take the conscious decision to be ill and assuming your attendance has been fair, there's not much they can say. We all get ill! Whoever you're speaking to will have been called in sick one day! Just be very genuine and very apologetic and offer to swap shifts, make up for the time at another point etc...

That said, that was in retail, with food, I think it's very different. I would never risk having an employee in when they've said that they have an infection of some sort.

Look what happened to Noma last week. Renowned as the best restaurant in the world:
    From various reports, 1 employee had a virus and made it clear to management, which went ignored. 67 diners then contracted the norovirus after 1 evening's dinner service:
    http://eater.com/archives/2013/03/08...iene-cited.php

You just can't take the risk in the restaurant business!

ReputationRep:
    I recommend dialing their number and saying i'm too ill to work.

ReputationRep:
    I always say upset stomach for most things cold/bug like it sorta makes them think oh diorhear dont ask questions just accept it lol,

though I think working with computers all day im not meant to come in with migraines either so yeh lol

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you don't make yourself sound ill on the phone. Nothing more suspicious when you can hardly talk and you cough every 5 seconds whilst talking to them!

ReputationRep:
    Can't you try and ask someone else who works there to swap swifts with you? I'm sure they would appreciate you saving them the effort of finding someone to cover your shift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermitthefrog)
    Can't you try and ask someone else who works there to swap swifts with you? I'm sure they would appreciate you saving them the effort of finding someone to cover your shift
    I think we've got to let them do it because certain people can only cover others (kitchen staff can't cover waitresses, washing can't cover waitress or cooking and so forth)!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    "Hi [manager's name], it's [your name (assuming it's not actually smudge moon!)]. I'm really sorry, but I won't be able to come into work tomorrow - I've come down with a bug of some kind and I'm just feeling pretty awful. Sorry for the short notice, I hope someone is able to cover for me"
    I've had to do this a few times. The boss usually replies "ok, feel better soon and watch Jeremy Kyle" (he said this to someone and I had to try not to laugh) and the assistant manager just says "Ok, feel better soon. I'll see you next week."

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.