Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Shall i open a student bank account NOW or wait? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm going to uni in September and have just received my student finance declaration. I've been thinking about opening a student account but am wondering whether i should wait a little while (month or two) so i could take advantage of any promotional offers etc.

My question is - Do banks put on promotional offers to attract students as September draws closer or do you get the same ''deal'' whenever you open an account?

Thanks in advance Dan

ReputationRep:
    They release their deals a few months before and then those are set. Do you have an unconditional offer though as your place needs to be confirmed before you open an account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StacFace)
    They release their deals a few months before and then those are set. Do you have an unconditional offer though as your place needs to be confirmed before you open an account?
    I'll confirm this fact, you need your confirmation letter to open a student account.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, no i haven't got an unconditional offer and i'm assuming I'll only get a confirmation letter once I've received my exam results and met the terms of my offer?

Although i have looked into the co-op account where you can apply online and i cant find anything about needing a confirmed place or showing any proof...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fdengineer Dan)
    Thanks guys, no i haven't got an unconditional offer and i'm assuming I'll only get a confirmation letter once I've received my exam results and met the terms of my offer?

Although i have looked into the co-op account where you can apply online and i cant find anything about needing a confirmed place or showing any proof...
    You get a letter from UCAS once your place is confirmed, can't remember what it's called but it's something like AS12 and you should get it a couple of days after results day if you get the grades, a bit later if you miss an offer and it takes longer to confirm your place.

It's in the terms and conditions of the account that you have to prove your student status by providing the UCAS letter. It may not ask you in the application to provide it but once submitted you'll be told to either take the letter into a branch or post it to them before they'll actually open your account.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks for clearing that up for me

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.