Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

Struggling with Views for Youtube, any tips? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm a young composer and I create both songs and instrumentals. When I have created them, I put them on YouTube. Now, there's the problem. I can't seem to get any views. :confused: I have tried tagging all sorts: famous people, the beginnings of the song names and other things. Unfortunately, I'm too young to pay for promotion. I'm so desperate because I have been doing this for years, and still no luck and I want to have a future of composing - it's what I want more than anything, so that's why I need some recognition. Please, if anyone can suggest a reliable but free way to get more views, I would really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    A reliable but free way to get more views? More videos. Make content, people subscribe for the content, therefore more returning views.
    There arent any cheats.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi! Thank you for replying so quickly! I had a different channel before and there I had 143 songs, but only 1 subscriber (my best friend) and about 30 views on my most popular song (after around about 5 years). Things were not looking good for me so I changed my account, and now I'm seeing a similar story. I really don't know what to do... I really appreciate the suggestion though! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4Y)
    Hi! Thank you for replying so quickly! I had a different channel before and there I had 143 songs, but only 1 subscriber (my best friend) and about 30 views on my most popular song (after around about 5 years). Things were not looking good for me so I changed my account, and now I'm seeing a similar story. I really don't know what to do... I really appreciate the suggestion though! Thank you!
    Make a blog, tweet people with it, put it on your facebook. Tell your friends and text them with your YT url, but a link in your signature - you need to make an effort to be seen.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you share the URL here? We can give you feedback on how to improve and you'll get more views from it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4Y)
    tagging famous people bugs the **** out of me. As a popular youtuber (within my interest) i used to get people tagging me as a way to get more views.

What that results in is fans of said famous person flaming you on youtube for not being them and using their name.

You want to be popular on youtube then you need to stand out - be original, it wont happen overnight - took me about three years to get to the stage i did.

Ok just watched your video and to be honest theres nothing in it. Its a picture with a song played over it no different from thousands of other videos. You have no description, i cant see your tags so dont know what they are. Personally i dont know the song. Youtube still operates a lot by word of mouth in regards to channels so you need to put yourself out there and get people talking about you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4Y)
    Thank you both for you kind suggestions! I really do appreciate it! Bluffroom, I have made an effort, I don't have twitter, but I do have Facebook and on there, I created my own page, I sent my friends URLs and I posted my songs onto my Facebook wall, however, still no luck. Some of my music can be categorised as 'classical' so it didn't appeal to my friends even though some thought I had a nice voice. I had my old YouTube name everywhere, just to get noticed, but still no luck. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a bad composer but I just seem to be invisible, both in real life and on the computer.

I really appreciate that, Snails are slimy, and I would very much like some feedback, it would mean a lot to me, so here goes, baring in mind I have still only uploaded 3 songs to my new account so far, just to see how things will go for the time being...

Here is the link to my most popular song (not necessarily my best though) on both accounts (I hope you like it):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVTJ4Grw3Gg

The name given on my YouTube account is not my near one and the song and logo can be very cheesy (and repetitive), so for that I am sorry.
    It's sad that they dismiss you when they don't even bother to listen to you. I don't consider classical music as something I'm 'into' but i still appreciate it. Keep trying to spread your videos and channel, because the more publicity the better.

Does your school do like open Mic during assembly? If so that's a good advertisement. You could also use different media such as sound cloud which you canlink to your social network further advertising yourself. Ill look at your videos tomorrow and facebook them maybe.

Never give up!

ReputationRep:
    Is there any way to work in some sort of performance video element? I'll often click on a random 'suggestion' with what looks like someone playing an instrument, but a picture with music isn't really what Youtube is about (it's a video site, people go on there for visual stimulation).

ReputationRep:
    put it in your tsr sig with catchy headline might help a little....i sometimes just watch peoples videos when im bored.

ReputationRep:
    Create an account on Sound Cloud. Its better for things like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    tagging famous people bugs the **** out of me. As a popular youtuber (within my interest) i used to get people tagging me as a way to get more views.

What that results in is fans of said famous person flaming you on youtube for not being them and using their name.

You want to be popular on youtube then you need to stand out - be original, it wont happen overnight - took me about three years to get to the stage i did.

Ok just watched your video and to be honest theres nothing in it. Its a picture with a song played over it no different from thousands of other videos. You have no description, i cant see your tags so dont know what they are. Personally i dont know the song. Youtube still operates a lot by word of mouth in regards to channels so you need to put yourself out there and get people talking about you.
    Thank you for your reply! It was rather scathing, but I do have a song that stands out, but for exam regulations, I'm not allowed to use it until the summer. I'm really heartbroken about what you said, especially because it is my dream and hobby to make music, and I guess people learn the hard way, but I'm only 16 and I have yet to show people what I am capable of. As for tagging, I somehow don't imagine how someone swimming in views has ever seen the 'how to get more views forum on YouTube 'or the 'Use keywords' link where they deliberately tell you to tag the most popular word, so try and see things from the eyes of 'thousands' of other individuals, not as lucky as yourself. I appreciate the feedback, so thank you, but there was no need for that kind of arrogance. I wish you absolute the best of luck in your career.

ReputationRep:
    make a sexy thumbnail. with the right bit of cleavage you can get millions of views. that's literally all it takes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    It's sad that they dismiss you when they don't even bother to listen to you. I don't consider classical music as something I'm 'into' but i still appreciate it. Keep trying to spread your videos and channel, because the more publicity the better.

Does your school do like open Mic during assembly? If so that's a good advertisement. You could also use different media such as sound cloud which you canlink to your social network further advertising yourself. Ill look at your videos tomorrow and facebook them maybe.

Never give up!
    You're a very kind person and your comment cheered me up, so thank you! However, I now fear more than anything, that you won't like it, since you still haven't heard it. If you do after all choose to listen to it, I apologise if you don't like it. I admit this particular song and another one that I uploaded are not in the classical genre or like the typical things I normally create. Most of my old songs I haven't uploaded again for numerous reasons. My school rarely does open mic but we have musical concerts every now and then and I play in a flute group - we perform at the concerts. This time, they chose to play the flute quartet I made for them rather than a pre-made score of a famous song. That was good news for me!

I would have given everyone reputation, but I ran out for the day, but I will definitely make sure you get some kind of proper thank you sooner or later.

(Original post by russellsteapot)
    Is there any way to work in some sort of performance video element? I'll often click on a random 'suggestion' with what looks like someone playing an instrument, but a picture with music isn't really what Youtube is about (it's a video site, people go on there for visual stimulation).
    I couldn't agree with you more... I did 'attempt' to make videos at some point, then realised that a logo surely must be far better than a load of ducks (real wildlife ducks). You see, another one of my problems is the fact that I don't like showing my face over the internet. I have nearly found a way to overcome that, but it's not there yet. Thank you for the suggestion, I guess I need to pay more attention of the visual aspect.

(Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    put it in your tsr sig with catchy headline might help a little....i sometimes just watch peoples videos when im bored.
    That sounds very useful, thank you. I will definitely try it when I have more resources on video and more practical footage.

(Original post by Kage)
    Create an account on Sound Cloud. Its better for things like this.
    Brilliant suggestion! However, this is the first I have heard about sound cloud! I will definitely look into that one! Thank you very much!

(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    make a sexy thumbnail. with the right bit of cleavage you can get millions of views. that's literally all it takes.
    What a brilliant thought! Thank you for the idea. I'm not entirely sure if that's the kind of impression I want to create about myself, since I'm more of a top button kind of girl... I know where you're coming from though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4Y)
    You're a very kind person and your comment cheered me up, so thank you! However, I now fear more than anything, that you won't like it, since you still haven't heard it. If you do after all choose to listen to it, I apologise if you don't like it. I admit this particular song and another one that I uploaded are not in the classical genre or like the typical things I normally create. Most of my old songs I haven't uploaded again for numerous reasons. My school rarely does open mic but we have musical concerts every now and then and I play in a flute group - we perform at the concerts. This time, they chose to play the flute quartet I made for them rather than a pre-made score of a famous song. That was good news for me!

I would have given everyone reputation, but I ran out for the day, but I will definitely make sure you get some kind of proper thank you sooner or later.
    You aren't a bad singer, but I'm not a huge fan of the music you sang on top of (but that's just personal preferences) - one suggestion would maybe to either sing louder, turn the background music down slightly or use something like FL studio (wold be maybe more of a future investment though) as you were slightly drowned out by it so you didn't sound very loud - it's about you and not the music.

Your cover pics are quite good though, did you draw it yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Go for soundcloud over youtube and follow other artists who you consider to be in the same musical niche as yourself. There will be other musicians out there in exactly the same position as you, you just need to find them. When you do, comment on their music or send them a message. More often than not people will be glad to hear from you.

I'm a music producer and I got my first music release pretty much from building contacts on soundcloud.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4Y)
    Thank you for your reply! It was rather scathing, but I do have a song that stands out, but for exam regulations, I'm not allowed to use it until the summer. I'm really heartbroken about what you said, especially because it is my dream and hobby to make music, and I guess people learn the hard way, but I'm only 16 and I have yet to show people what I am capable of. As for tagging, I somehow don't imagine how someone swimming in views has ever seen the 'how to get more views forum on YouTube 'or the 'Use keywords' link where they deliberately tell you to tag the most popular word, so try and see things from the eyes of 'thousands' of other individuals, not as lucky as yourself. I appreciate the feedback, so thank you, but there was no need for that kind of arrogance. I wish you absolute the best of luck in your career.
    theres a difference between tagging things (such as the song you use the genre your own name) and other youtubers - the first is selling yourself the second is piggy backing off others work.

What did you expect? You asked for advice and i gave it. I wasnt being arrogant i was being truthful - theres no shame in being proud of your achievements.

I listened to your song, you are a good singer and musician but there is nothing to indicate its YOU doing it

(Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    this is true to a degree - take this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHrB1...Ojz-A&index=23

its a girl dancing the wow dances and has over a million views - at one point the sound was disabled due to copyright and people STILL watched it. Why? cos its a hot girl with big boobs in a pair of shorts dancing. And its attached to popular game yet so is one of her other videos (also about wow) and it doesnt have anywhere near the number of views.

(Original post by M4Y)
    What a brilliant thought! Thank you for the idea. I'm not entirely sure if that's the kind of impression I want to create about myself, since I'm more of a top button kind of girl... I know where you're coming from though!
    Thats fair enough - then why dont you record you singing and playing yourself? The success stories from youtube are few and far between - not to mention those who get famous for the wrong reasons - the likes of chris crocker and Rebecca black got famous for being irritating or crap.

And music is a massive market on youtube. Guitarists get popular by playing metal versions of NES games. Singers do covers and original to varying degrees of success. You making a channel and just expecting millions of views is NOT going to to happen. You need an edge - a kick. And you need to market yourself. Im not being harsh here im being honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    You aren't a bad singer, but I'm not a huge fan of the music you sang on top of (but that's just personal preferences) - one suggestion would maybe to either sing louder, turn the background music down slightly or use something like FL studio (wold be maybe more of a future investment though) as you were slightly drowned out by it so you didn't sound very loud - it's about you and not the music.

Your cover pics are quite good though, did you draw it yourself?
    Thank you again for your reply, I really am grateful! Yes, I understand... I have been told about the 'mixing' and sound levels before, but the case was always that I was afraid of people hearing the defects in my voice, so I deliberately drowned out my voice. My final song that I need for my exam, solves this issue, and it's the first where I can actually be heard. I still have serious complexes, but that's when I discovered how to multi-track and split sound levels. The problem also was that I kept hearing this from those who are the closest to me, so most of the time, I just thought that they were saying that I could sing just to be nice. That's also why I had high instrumental levels. Hearing this advice from someone other than from the people I spend the most time with is very useful to me and helps me to see more of the truth. The logo was my own, as I am trying to categorically avoid copyright in every way... I can't change my pre-existing songs just yet, as I am going through a very busy exam time, but I have certainly taken everything into account and will act upon what you said very soon. Thank you very much, you have really helped me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benjamez)
    Go for soundcloud over youtube and follow other artists who you consider to be in the same musical niche as yourself. There will be other musicians out there in exactly the same position as you, you just need to find them. When you do, comment on their music or send them a message. More often than not people will be glad to hear from you.

I'm a music producer and I got my first music release pretty much from building contacts on soundcloud.
    Thank you ever so much for the advice! I really needed an opinion from the eyes of a true music producer! I am very happy for your success and have someone to look up to! Sound cloud seems to be a popular option so I better act upon it! I better roll up my sleeves and start working with sound cloud! The advice was greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and you can connect to us

Haha, your music though is different to mine at least. I'm more of an instrumentalist, so none of my music has singing. Its possible I may use samples, but it won't be my own voice...ever.

Sound Cloud is by far your best bet though, but I don't do enough linking with others. That said, most of my work is Work In Progress, and not finalised.
    I need to rework all my music (especially reverbs)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    theres a difference between tagging things (such as the song you use the genre your own name) and other youtubers - the first is selling yourself the second is piggy backing off others work.

What did you expect? You asked for advice and i gave it. I wasnt being arrogant i was being truthful - theres no shame in being proud of your achievements.

I listened to your song, you are a good singer and musician but there is nothing to indicate its YOU doing it

this is true to a degree - take this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHrB1...Ojz-A&index=23

its a girl dancing the wow dances and has over a million views - at one point the sound was disabled due to copyright and people STILL watched it. Why? cos its a hot girl with big boobs in a pair of shorts dancing. And its attached to popular game yet so is one of her other videos (also about wow) and it doesnt have anywhere near the number of views.

Thats fair enough - then why dont you record you singing and playing yourself? The success stories from youtube are few and far between - not to mention those who get famous for the wrong reasons - the likes of chris crocker and Rebecca black got famous for being irritating or crap.

And music is a massive market on youtube. Guitarists get popular by playing metal versions of NES games. Singers do covers and original to varying degrees of success. You making a channel and just expecting millions of views is NOT going to to happen. You need an edge - a kick. And you need to market yourself. Im not being harsh here im being honest.
    Hi! It's good to hear from you again! It's true what they say: the truth hurts, but I understand, and really appreciate advice from a different perspective. If it makes you happy, I got rid of every one of my tags, so please don't be mad. I apologise for getting the wrong idea, I just always get wrong impressions when people use taboo. I generally tend to avoid taboo language, but I also understand that it's also part of the modern world, and a popular way of self expression (I'm still learning about psychology, so please bear with me...). I am also very pleased and happy for you that you are doing so well, so I am merely wishing you the best, and good luck in the future. Friends? (since we may have slightly got off on the wrong foot).

I don't entirely understand what you mean by game... I'm a little bit disappointed that this is what most people want from a video (a hot girl in sports gear dancing) but nevertheless, I have taken it into consideration, even though I don't think I'm the kind of person that likes to show a great deal of skin to a vast public. I'm young, but rather old-fashioned. I like the idea of creating a suitable video, but showing my face in public would be a huge step and fear to overcome. To create a cover don't you need to own the copyrights of the artist? I unfortunately can't afford to buy the rights. Also, I never said I was expecting instant success, that's just an assumption. The truth is, I only wanted a view per week, just one view, and I would be happy, but it wasn't even that for me. I know what it takes for people to become famous, so I'm not speculating, or expecting to be liked instantly. I just needed something to help me achieve at least that one view per week. That kick is exactly what I need, but for now, it's forbidden, plus, I know that this song is going to have a video. Once again, thank you for the advice, all aspects (positive or negative) are greatly appreciated from anyone.

Poll
Which pet is the best?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.