Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently studying a degree in Engineering with the Open University, which is accredited by the IMechE and IET. I'm set for achieving either a 1:1 or 2:1.

I started the degree with little idea as to what I wanted to do long term, however after a lot of research I think that I'd like to get into teaching either Maths or Science/Physics.

I've talked to people who have told me that my degree must be a minimum of 50% in the subject which I'd be teaching, however engineering is more so a mixture of Maths, Physics & Technology modules so I'm unsure about my prospects if I was to pursue a career in teaching.

Obviously I will need to complete a PGCE, however would I be required to do more studies to teach these given subjects with my degree?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    My physics teacher at college for my A levels was a engineering graduate. He wasn't the best though as if you wanted to go into detail on a subject, he wouldn't know much unless it was specifically on the syllabus. This was about 6 years ago now though so I don't know if It's changed at all.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of degree is it? I know people who did a BEng or MEng in a specific engineering disciplines (such as electronics/mechanical etc.) who went on to teach after taking a PGCE.
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much of a clue either, but my physics teacher had an electrical engineering degree, and a maths teacher had a mech. eng. degree, so it seems like it's you can.
    Do you have a careers advisory at your uni you could ask? Or you can just ask the organisation that provides the PGCE.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Hello,

I'm currently studying a degree in Engineering with the Open University, which is accredited by the IMechE and IET. I'm set for achieving either a 1:1 or 2:1.

I started the degree with little idea as to what I wanted to do long term, however after a lot of research I think that I'd like to get into teaching either Maths or Science/Physics.

I've talked to people who have told me that my degree must be a minimum of 50% in the subject which I'd be teaching, however engineering is more so a mixture of Maths, Physics & Technology modules so I'm unsure about my prospects if I was to pursue a career in teaching.

Obviously I will need to complete a PGCE, however would I be required to do more studies to teach these given subjects with my degree?

Thanks
    I know several maths and physics teachers whose only degree is engineering and they didn't require further studies and they were teaching A-level and IB higher at a good independent school. Should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak Lemming)
    Hello,

Thanks
    I'm sure if you applied for maths or physics you would be snapped up as these are such shortage subjects. If I were you I would email a few PGCE course directors to find out for sure.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you can. You can do a subject enhancement course if you feel it's necessary (for example, if you're rusty on A level Maths!). I know someone teaching science through TeachFirst with a History degree (has science A levels though!).

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.