Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I thought I'd start a thread about the 2013 UKMT IMOK papers, where anything to do with this year's Cayley, Maclaurin and Hamilton papers (and maybe the upcoming Kangaroo papers as well?) can be discussed.

I'm sorry if there's already a thread about the IMOK; if that is case then just ignore this one.

I'm in year 9 and took the Cayley paper this year. All in all I think it wasn't too difficult and I managed to answer 5 of the 6 questions. I'm sure if I had more time I would have been able to answer question 5 (the one I didn't do) as well.

In my opinion, question 2 on the Cayley paper was the easiest and, out of the ones I did, question 6 was the hardest. I think I made a silly mistake when answering question 3 and so came up with the wrong answer...

How did you guys find this year's IMOK paper(s)? Which one did you do? Which questions did you find particularly interesting?

ReputationRep:
    To get the right answer for the question, 1 was by far the easiest. 2 was the easiest to explain.

I'm pretty sure that I got at least 5 of them with decent explanations...

I can't really say the same for question 6.

I am quite new, so, would it be too early to post my answers, to compare with others?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Same story as the first post, except I answered 5 and not 6, and don't think I made a mistake. 1 and 2 were easy (2 even gave the answer!). 1 was simple, when based on the principle of lowest power of prime factors and that for a square prime factors have to be even powers. 2 was easier, you were given the answer . 3 was similar to a Fibonacci sequence, and I based mine on that. 4 was OK when you recognize 3n n>=0 and n<10 (a digit) ends uniquely. 5 was interesting, and OK when you recognise in a n^3 cube the interior which can not be painted is (n-2)(n-2)(n-2). 6 I got stuck after a few pages of working and 2sin75 (yes, I was using trig). If only I'd known sin(A+B) = sinAcosB + sinBcosA

ReputationRep:
    I got my results today btw: 41 out of 60. Probably could've done better but got a higher score than I expected. I got full marks on the first two questions and question 4, 9/10 on question 3 (the sequence one) because I didn't explain it fully enough, and 2/10 on the last question, which even I laughed at. Had a look at the 'official' answer; I was so stupid!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got my results as well - 52/60 ! 10 marks on the first four questions, 9 on Q5 (I didn't explain why there weren't any other arrangements), and 3 for Q6. When I saw how it was done I felt stupid too.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I just did the MacLaurin paper this year, and got the first 5 questions correct (according to the answers they put up), but am wondering how I can get the results?

ReputationRep:
    I got 53/60, first 3 i got 10/10 they were really easy cus i love number theory. For 4 i got 9 (damn) cus i didnt explain why there cant be any other arrangments. I got completely baffled by 5, i hate shapes, so i only got 4/10 for that ( i think they were lenient with my drawings) and the last question i got 10/10 hahah it was really easy and so obvious. i wouldve got it wrong is i did 9pi - 2pi instead of pi.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.