Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Under what conditions could class switching in Immunoglobulins be catastrophic to the body?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciznet)
    Under what conditions could class switching in Immunoglobulins be catastrophic to the body?
    :dontknow:

In a pathological way? I guess an example would be for Ig switching from IgE when the host has a helminthic infection.

I'm not sure tbh as the question is quite vague...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    :dontknow:

In a pathological way? I guess an example would be for Ig switching from IgE when the host has a helminthic infection.

I'm not sure tbh as the question is quite vague...
    Yeah something like this. Please i need several instances..

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah something like this. Please i need several instances..

Thanks
    Ok, think about it. In which cases is a certain antibody class needed? Can any other antibody effectively replace it in the same role? If not, you have another example

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    Ok, think about it. In which cases is a certain antibody class needed? Can any other antibody effectively replace it in the same role? If not, you have another example

I am the most grateful for this valuable contribution! Pls could there be a possibility of autoimmune complications also?

Big thanks

ReputationRep:
    I am the most grateful for this valuable contribution! Pls could there be a possibility of autoimmune complications also?

Big thanks
    No prob

Hmm...possibly. It's a tough one, but for example in pregnancy, if there was a large immune response in the mother, and the antibody class switched to something like igG from igM, it could cross the placenta and possibly harm the baby.

The question is pretty non-specific, so if guess this still counts.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.